Postpartum Depression (PPD) Community
new and really need support
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Postpartum Depression (PPD).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

new and really need support

Hello just alittle about myself, I am 26 year old female with 3 kids. This past August I recently had a miscarriage and D&C. I was 10 weeks along but I had a partial molar pregnancy. Right after my D&C I received the depo provera shot because my doc said I couldn't get pregnant for a year. Well in mid September all my symptoms started and just hit me out of nowhere one day. One night I just started having a panic attack out of no where. I put myself to sleep thinking I would feel better the next day. Well for about a week straight I had severe anxiety, shaking, irritable, panic, hopelessness, loss of appetite, insomnia, heart palpitations and rapid heart rate. I went to the ER and they just said I had anxiety and gave me Paxil. Didn't run any test at all. I was concerned because I lost 9 lbs in one week. About a couple days later I went back to ER because of the same feeling. I just felt like I was going insane! I had so much anxiety, panic and fear for no reason. I didn't feel like myself at all. They ran test and said one of my thyroid levels was a bit high and for me to follow up with my pcp. A few days later I went to my PCP and he did his own labs. He said all my thyroid levels came back normal. He also sent me for a thyroid scan which also came back normal. So he ruled that out and also said that it is anxiety and told me to start the Paxil the ER doc gave me. Well I read all the bad reviews about Paxil and decided not to take it. I said to myself "maybe it is just hormones from the depo provera shot and I will wait it out". Well my depo shot was due again 2 weeks ago and I told my ob/gyn that I didn't want it and I wanted to switch to pills. So she gave me ortho tri cyclen lo. Well 3 days after starting that my anxiety was full force. I was hyperventilating and having panic attacks and back at the ER. They ran tests and did CT of chest to make sure it wasn't pulmonary embolism since I started new birth control. Of course and thankfully everything came back normal. I have since decided to stop all birth control and let my body get back to normal. I have not had a period since my D&C in August. Yesterday I was feeling so bad that I decided to go ahead a start the Paxil. BIG MISTAKE! I felt so terribly sick. I was so nauseous all night, had diarrhea, nightmares, insomnia, shaking, dizziness. I will not take it again. But this morning a light bulb went off. I think I have postpartum depression. But after seeing 4 ER docs and my PCP none of them even mentioned PPD. They were all well aware of my recent miscarriage too. How long does PPD last and what is a good medication for it? Also, the Paxil gave me horrible and unwanted thoughts and made me so depessed. And this was just with one 10 mg pill. Please ladies help me! I feel so sad because I can't be the mother that my 3 kids deserve.