Postpartum Depression (PPD) Community
new and really need support

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Postpartum Depression (PPD).

new and really need support

Hello just alittle about myself, I am 26 year old female with 3 kids. This past August I recently had a miscarriage and D&C. I was 10 weeks along but I had a partial molar pregnancy. Right after my D&C I received the depo provera shot because my doc said I couldn't get pregnant for a year. Well in mid September all my symptoms started and just hit me out of nowhere one day. One night I just started having a panic attack out of no where. I put myself to sleep thinking I would feel better the next day. Well for about a week straight I had severe anxiety, shaking, irritable, panic, hopelessness, loss of appetite, insomnia, heart palpitations and rapid heart rate. I went to the ER and they just said I had anxiety and gave me Paxil. Didn't run any test at all. I was concerned because I lost 9 lbs in one week. About a couple days later I went back to ER because of the same feeling. I just felt like I was going insane! I had so much anxiety, panic and fear for no reason. I didn't feel like myself at all. They ran test and said one of my thyroid levels was a bit high and for me to follow up with my pcp. A few days later I went to my PCP and he did his own labs. He said all my thyroid levels came back normal. He also sent me for a thyroid scan which also came back normal. So he ruled that out and also said that it is anxiety and told me to start the Paxil the ER doc gave me. Well I read all the bad reviews about Paxil and decided not to take it. I said to myself "maybe it is just hormones from the depo provera shot and I will wait it out". Well my depo shot was due again 2 weeks ago and I told my ob/gyn that I didn't want it and I wanted to switch to pills. So she gave me ortho tri cyclen lo. Well 3 days after starting that my anxiety was full force. I was hyperventilating and having panic attacks and back at the ER. They ran tests and did CT of chest to make sure it wasn't pulmonary embolism since I started new birth control. Of course and thankfully everything came back normal. I have since decided to stop all birth control and let my body get back to normal. I have not had a period since my D&C in August. Yesterday I was feeling so bad that I decided to go ahead a start the Paxil. BIG MISTAKE! I felt so terribly sick. I was so nauseous all night, had diarrhea, nightmares, insomnia, shaking, dizziness. I will not take it again. But this morning a light bulb went off. I think I have postpartum depression. But after seeing 4 ER docs and my PCP none of them even mentioned PPD. They were all well aware of my recent miscarriage too. How long does PPD last and what is a good medication for it? Also, the Paxil gave me horrible and unwanted thoughts and made me so depessed. And this was just with one 10 mg pill. Please ladies help me! I feel so sad because I can't be the mother that my 3 kids deserve.
Geez, I am so sorry.  My recommendation is Zoloft.  That is what I always take for PPD and it is also prescribed for anxiety, so you should be covered I would think.  It helps me and helped a friend of mine when she had severe anxiety/panic attacks.  I would see about getting this.

Good luck, and again, I am so sorry that you are going through all of this.  Please let us know how you are doing with it.
My story is a little bit similar to yours, and my doc diagnosed me with PPD..
I too miscarried in June this year, I was 4weeks 1 day, but it broke my heart and ripped by whole world apart.. I so desperately wanted that baby,, Anyways the miscarriage was dragged out for 3 weeks before the hospital finally confirmed that I was no longer pregnant and had miscarried. During this time I had several scans, but it wasn't til the 3rd scan that they told me there was no baby..
I too had a D&C a week later

I had 2 & a half months off work, and when I finally went back, my mood swings and anger over the loss gradually grew stronger and stronger to the point that I put hands around my partners neck!!
The thought of me being so violent towards the man I loved more then anything brought on panic attacks, hyperventalating..
I lost 1 and a half stone in 3-4 months. Eventually the anger got worse and worse and I was snapping at partner for the most stupidiest things..

I eventually plucked up the courage to go speak to my mum who had also suffered with nervous depression 10 years ago.
She took me to the doc who quickly diagnosed me with PPD.
I did a test which estmated my level of depression, I scored 21 out of 27, 27 being the worse case. Am now on Citalopram 20mg. It not harmless to fertility if your trying to conceive again. My advice is to go and see your GP, explained to him about your anxiety and panic attacks, and also medical history re; the miscarriage..
Wish you lots of luck.. x