Postpartum Depression (PPD) Community
preparing to have 2nd baby

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Postpartum Depression (PPD).

preparing to have 2nd baby

I had ppd after my son. I will delivery 2nd baby soon. Is there a safe medication that actually helps I can take if I breast feed?  Should I start this before delivery?    any advice would be appricated.
Hi there!  I went through the same thing..... had horrible, debilitating PPD after the birth of my third baby and was terrified I'd experience it again with my fourth.  I took a lot of different steps to empower myself and ensure that I wouldn't go through PPD again, and I was successful -- actually had a picture perfect postpartum with my fourth, which felt like a miracle.  I write a blog about PPD prevention, and one of my posts that you might be interested in can be found at:
http://ppdsurvivor.blogspot.com/2007/12/postpartum-depression-interview-with.html  

As far as "safe" medications to take while breastfeeding.... there is no such thing, no matter what anyone tells you.  Infants have not ever been tested on anti-depressants.  You've obviously never heard of a doctor prescribing a newborn with Prozac or any other anti-depressant.  But when you're breastfeeding and on medication, that's exactly what you're doing - medicating your baby that's an adult-size dose and that has never been tested on a baby's brain.  I chose not to breastfeed my fourth baby because I felt that it was far more important for her (and my other kids) to have a healthy mom than to have my milk.  (I was on an anti-depressant for about 6 weeks to help me through the postpartum period.)  She did great on formula and is now a brilliant, healthy, happy 7-year-old.

I wish you all the best -- please let me know if you need any additional info.  I'm in touch with national PPD experts through my work and would be happy to refer you to anyone who might help you.

Warmest regards,
Kristin
Talk to a Doctor anti depressants (even in the same class) vary very much on how much get through to the breast milk.  But some amount will still get through?
Hello KPark;

I just read your post re PND and you having four children.
I have had a PPD since my daughter was about 11 months, or that is when I collapsed after feeling so so tired so often. I just thought it was natural given the amount of work with a newborn and the lack of sleep. I am now on 225mg of Effexor and feeling so much better (it took me a year and a bit to work myself up to this dose). This given I am starting to play with the idea of having a second....I know, am I crazy? I had a horrible pregnancy with nausea and that after two miscarriages. Where you on meds when you were pregnant with your fourth? I have read the pros and cons of being on meds but still feel a little uneasy about it. Please advise. Thank you   Maca
I have taken Zoloft after my last 2 babies and I was BFing.
I took zoloft and breastfed as well. It didn't seem to have any effect on him, but made me 100% better mother, wife, and friend. I wouldn't have made it through without zoloft. =)
Hallo, Brand I also experienced very bad PPD with my first born, I am now 21 weeks pregnant with my second, and I am also scared that I might get PPD again, with my first it was terrible and I didn't think I was going to make through the darkness....I have spoken to my gynea about it and here in South Africa they have got a tablet that is calles Cilift, its not really an anti-deppressend but it does inhance your mood, it takes all of that darkness away, and the gynea said to me that it is absolutaly safe to breastfeed on those tabs..I am willing to give it a shot, I did not get the chance to breastfeed with my first and she was always in and out in hospital with ear infections and throat problems...I know it is cause I put her on NAN HA formula first, it only started getting better when I put her on ISOMIL formula....But good luck to you and God speed, I wish you all the best....