Odds of Pregnancy at Age 47?

I'm already a whole week late, with subtle signs of pregnancy.  I just turned 47 and was planning on tying my tubes here in the the next month or so -- and now this?  I can't even find out what the odds of a natural pregnancy at my age are.  Some very definite changes from my "routine" cycle.  I've got some nausea, tender breasts and one negative pregnancy test.  But with my youngest son, my home pregnancy test also turned out negative, even though I was pregnant.  It just seems ridiculous to be pregnant -- we weren't even trying  and my husband didn't even have an orgasm -- he limped out during that encounter (around my birthday).  So it seems kind of like a joke.  I'm about ready to try a test again -- still no period and almost 2 weeks late now.  I keep reading how it's almost impossible at my age to get pregnant naturally.  Any comments?

Lindy
I know that it is a bit late in the year to offer a response, but i was so touched by you message.  I hope that you receive your hearts desire.  If it is God's will for you to conceive carry and deliver your own child it shall be so.  I am a 46 year old woman with the same desire the fruit of the womb, though i already have two children 22 and 18 years old.  My husband and i so desire another child our last! I am trusting God for our desire.  I was caught up in guilt especially for those women who have no children as yet, however, now i believe i am a blessed child of God and  i believe in God's blessings for all of His children.  Be blessed also my sista!
I had regular periods until age 58. At age 54, I thought I was going through menopause because my periods stopped. My breasts were very tender. Then 2 months later I started bleeding profusely with severe cramping and pain. I went to ER. We were shocked to learn I was miscarrying. I had conceived naturally at age 54. My OB-GYN doctor was amazed. Sad ending to a surprising story, but it definitely is possible to conceive after 50.
I was just wondering how you're pregnants was going? I hope you are doing good.
We had our baby last year.  He's now 8 months old. We are now going to try for another one.  Mother is 48 now.
Hi, saw your posting.  I am 47 and have run up against brick walls with fertility doctors given my age. I can get pregnant, and all my preliminary ferility tests are a go for getting pregnant.  It looks like you found someone willing to help you at 46, and was wondering who that doctor or clinic might be.
I also hope the rest of your story bore the results you so desire.
Try ukcfa or Cyprus  ivf
Thank you so much for this encouragement. Yes I will continue to have faith. I am 47years old. At the age of 46, the gynaecologist told me that I am too old to have children and that there is no way this can happen but I refuse to believe this. I got married at the age of 45 to my husband who is 6 months older. we don't have any children but will keep believing.  I just don't know what help is available to people like my husband and I.
0baasima
Hi Ladies,
Thank you for your support and encouragement- my prayers are sent to you all- trust your bodies and God.  I turned 46 a few months ago and though my  partner and I werent necessarily trying, I realized I'm late, bought a test and the little plus showed up! No children for either of us yet- im excited, happy and enjoying this.  My guy will be 50 in 6 months.  And just to think my OB encouraged freezing.  We did it the old fashioned way, but use what ever you can and don't listen to anyone who says its selfish or too late- you will be a wonderful parent and your child will be blessed.
Hi I am 47 years old. I have a daughter at 43 years old thru IVF, that was a long and hard road for me then but I made it. It was difficlut costly and really challenging. Now  I am trying to have a second child a playmate for her to play with. I did three ivf cycles last year one fresh cycle in June 2012 and it failed. I did a frozen cycle in september 2012 and it also failed. I then tried again with a fresh cycle in november 2012 and it also failed. I am trying to keep up hope and do another cycle.The doctor said that I have eggs like a 42 year old and he dont mind trying again with me. He also spoke to me about donor eggs, but I would really prefer if I have my own biological child with my own eggs. I am not giving up and I think that where theres a will there is a way. I have an appointment with the doctor next week Fridaya dn I pray and hope that this ivf cycle works out for me. It will be my fourth cycle.
hi I read your story with interest and and wondering if you did conceive? How was it? im 46 and thinking that a baby would be beautiful.
thanks for your inspirational words
My wife is 49. Just had second FET and waiting for 14 days. - got 11 days left.  First time was sucessful with baby now 10 months old. It can be done.
itll all workout..ur husbands concerns are natural... once the baby arrives everybody will b over joyed...relax and pick out names..u are blessed and ur grandson will have a playmate
Hi I am 47 will be 48 in November, I am about to start a new IVFCycle this month. I did three two fresh and 1 frozen in teh past 6 months and they were not successful. I am doing my 3rd fresh cycle and it may be my last since I have to pay out of pocket for it and it is very expensive. I am prayig  and hoping that I wll have a miracle this time around. My new cycle should start at the end of this month March. I hope for lots and lots of baby dust my way.

Iva, I had a baby in 2011 at the age of 46 (I was 10 days away from turning 47), so your doctor is misinformed.  I conceived naturally and had a healthy baby boy and this is my first child.  I had gone to a fertility doctor months before getting pregnant, and he said there was nothing he could do for me unless I wanted to use donor eggs - essentially he was telling me that he thought traditional methods of fertility treatments would  be a waste of time and money on my  45 (at the time) year old eggs.  I left there feeling a little disappointed but not surprised, and realized there are pros and cons to a life with kids or without, so I was going to make the most of mine regardless.  I got pregnant about 6 months later and was fortunate to have had a successful pregnancy with no complications, so keep in mind that it is possible.
I lost a baby due to low progesterone - be sure to get your progesterone checked!  Also ask your doctor if you have a tilted uterus - if you do - you should lay on your stomach after intercourse not your back !!

Knowledge is power !  
Amen, u r being blessed with 2 miracles.  God is testing your faith through this. so considerng your strength & courage to get through all this I see it all as a beautiful journey.
Hi, ladies!
.Anyone got pregnant naturally and have successful pregnancy on 44 years old?
What vitamins, supplements do you take? Thank you.
You are so blessed.  Enjoy all of your gifts(babies) God has given you.  I had 2 misscarriages when I was younger and now I have no children and cannot get pregnant.  I am very sad because now I am married to a fabulous man and apparently I'm too old now to have his kids.  I'm 47.  Please know that you are very blessed to have grandchildren and children, no matter the ages.  Love and enjoy every single day you have with all of them!!!!
HI all
Wonderful to read such heart warming stories ,I am 47 and not sure if I am still ovulating ,is it possible to get pregnant naturally at this age ?
I just turned 46 have a 27yr old dtr, 19 yr old dtr and 16 yr old son. Had mc when I was 21 and again at 32.   Now we are contemplating having another child.  Or at least try.  If we decide to try, he will have a vasectomy reversal in November.  My issue is.....I have read so many negative comments and articles and think, it's pointless.  $3000 (reversal cost) is too much money to spend for such a small chance of conceiving.  Besides what my husband will have to go through.  Though he insists he's willing to do it. Then I read tons of positive success stories and feel hope.  One day I'm feeling very positive the next not so much and feel depressed.   I have an appt with on/gyn mainly to get "established" as a new patient as I recently moved to a new state.  I thought I would talk to her about it and ask for bloodwork to see where things stand with my reproductive system but after reading all the comments of how doctors react, I am scared to bring it up. She does specialize in high risks pregnancies according to the website so maybe she'll be understanding....idk.  Today after reading so many positive comments on here I think, yep lets give it a try.  Won't hurt to try.  If it doesn't, well then it wasn't meant to be.  Hoping positive thoughts and the fact I don't feel 46 (feel more like 36), eat healthy (lean meats, no sugar, no caffeine, lots of grains, fresh fruits and veggies, smoothies with flaxseed and nuts and of course supplements. I work out 4-5 times a week and recently lost19 lbs. anyways, sorry for going on so long.  Just needed to get my thoughts in print.  I can't talk to family or friends because I know they'll think we are crazy.  I've asked my husband to keep this private, just between us until we see how things go. Good luck to y'all who are trying and congrats to those who have been blessed with a baby. .    
Thank you for sharing. Your situation is not a coincidence; it's your destiny so embrace it. You have been granted a wish. There's only this life for moments.
I'm 47, will be 48 in June, I have a 24,22,17 13 month old and I'm pregnant again. Ok with that being said, the older I had in my 20's had my tubes tied at 29(biggest mistake) met my DH 12 years ago married 10 yesturday. Went to an RE at 43 and 10 months, had my first ivf made 18 eggs lots of $, they told mt to go straight to donor eggs and I was like, what?, no way, I had babies before! Nothing happened, had a tubal reversal, 4 medicated iui's, plentynof eggs, fsh of 5 AMH 5.3. Re said i was too old she couldnt help me sny more. Went to NYC to see an re that uses frozen donor eggs, price was right no need to wait....he saw my chart and told me to do a mini ivf(low drugs) I made 11 eggs, 3 went to 5 day blast, I MC at 9 weeks.. I asked him what my odds were he said 1%, on to donor eggs, we got 6 eggs 4 made it to blast, transfered 2 on Christmas/Chanukah morning2011 by jan.2, 2012 I was pregnant, sept 4, 2012 Ella Abigail was born! Aug. 2013 we transfered our 2 snow babies...bfn : ( so so heart broken! Begged my RE to let me have 2 more eggs from the same donor,  only 1 made it so on 9/29 we transfered and 7 days later I'm pregnant! I just wanted to give you a heads up on the reality of getting pregnant, not to hurt anyone's feelings! It's not easy in our 40's you've got to be strong and ready for anything! Lots of heartache and Joy!
Love hugs and SSBD
Melanie
I'm 45 n about 2 weeks along....I have had 5 kids... 1 miscarriage... N my pregnancies... Well let's just say....each one has a story! N a pregnancy test...best in am when u first go potty...levels r higher!
They'd be 2 months along.... I am!
Hi , Cristina here, i hope you will get pregnant , really do ! Pray for me to please i am 47 and lost my both fallopian tubes but still pray for a baby , thats all that i want more than anything else . You can take Maca and vitex , also vitamin E everyday , eat fruit and veggies and exersize so you are fit and healthy ....find more on the net about eat for fertility ...God bless you
How did it all turn out?
My partner and I have been together for 3 years now. I have a 13yr old son and my partner has a 5yr old daughter who we sadly don't see as his ex partner won't allow it. We have been discussing having a child between us but I thought I was too old. I turned 47 in January. Reading all your posts has helped me tremendously! And we are going to try. We can't afford IVF so fingers crossed I can conceive naturally! Thank you all so much for your lovely posts, and I'll let you know how we get on!!
Did you get pregnant? I am 46 yrs old and am marrying a 32 yr old man. He wants kids and I'm not sure I am able. I had a tubal ligation 15 yrs. ago. Thanks.
you would do anohter baby with IVF or naturally, is there any positive experience?
I'm 47, I have a 21 month old dd and 38 weeks with a girl. I started ttc at 44 with my eggs, had tubes tied at 29. We went straight to Ivf, made many eggs but only ended up pg with a MC. I have 3 grown bio
Kids so. We did a tubal reversal and 4 medicated iui's nothing. We decided to do Donor eggs and here we are. It's totally up to you, I really just wanted a baby, biology wasn't an issue! Ttc is really hard, you must be strong! Your at the right place though. There are many of us her willing to help you every step of the way!!!
Hugs and good luck!
Melanie
hi  I'm 46 and trying to concive and had a tubaligation 19 years ago and had my tubal reversal 4 months ago. My husband is 41 and has no chidren and wants a child so we are trying naturally. I did alot of reserch on the pros and cons and decided to try. no pregancy yet put praying for our little miricle.
I don't know when you posted... But you are very lucky... This is a true blessing.
I just turned 47 in September. Have been trying to conceive since April 2013 at 45. After reading these comments I will keep trying for another year. Some days I feel so hopeful others I am in despair that it is too late. But I will not stop trying. I will not give up on that hope of being a mother no matter how much negativity there is in our society about older moms and people and doctors saying i am too old with my own eggs. I believe that as long as I'm ovulating there is a chance at natural conception. We can have babies until menopause which is on average at 51. My mom was 55! I read every post here from 2008-2014.  I do not believe that I won't conceive. I say this over and over... Good luck to all those over 40 TTC and esp over 45 like me. I hope we get our BFP's. I hope we can carry to term. I hope we have healthy babies . I hope........
I don't believe that I won't conceive. I say this over and over to myself. I have read every post here from 2008-2014... Took me many hours. I just couldn't stop reading. I am filled with renewed hope now. And I ignore all the negativity and naysayers. This time I am telling no one. They can find out after I give birth. I am 47. I just want one baby. I really hope this happens for me before it is really too late. I dread the M word. I am in perimenopause for sure as I get a menses only every 60 days now but I know as long as I get AF and ovulate there is still a chance. I love hearing how grandmothers and great grandmothers had their last at 45-50...  47, 48, 49 all conceived naturally obviously. Wow I hope I am one of these ladies. I am 47 and this is my first child. I sure do wish I had started  this just a little younger but I refuse to stop trying. I will not give up for at least the next 2 years. I will not miss any ovulation between now and then. I wish i knew if the 45/46/47/48 year olds who posted over the past 6 years here successfully conceived and carried to term with a healthy child. You never really find out what happens to most of these women. I wonder and hope they got their pregnancies.  I wanted nothing to do with donor eggs. I want my own biological child. Either it happens naturally or it doesn't happen at all. All I can do is try. If I don't try, it certainly will not happen.

If I get pregnant I will come back here for sure to let you all know. I hope my dream of becoming a mother finally comes true....
I will not give up my dream.  
I will keep trying .
You have given me back my hope.
Thank you ladies!

I find it amazing that when this post started way back on January 1, 2008 I had just turned 40... And now I am 47 !

Boy do I wish I had started this journey at 40 instead of 45.....
Honestly I have to say I really did feel better about this and much more hopeful at 45/46 rather than 47/48... But I am still not giving up. I will keep trying!

My problem is conceiving. I have never been pregnant, this will be my first at 47. Since I have started trying to conceive in 2013 at 45 I have never had a BFP but only have really tried 2 times at ovulation in the past year and a half. Only 2 times I know I had the timing right. But did not get pregnant. It is either a timing issue or an implantation issue. I had 10 ovulations since May 2013 and only tried 2 times. So I missed 8 ovulations. I just hope I have a few more ovulations at 47.....I am very worried I won't get a period again. My last was in September...
Hi Beanie2015 i am a 47yr old and have been trying to conceive like you for the last 3 yrs i did get pregnant at 44 but it was a blighted ovum, can i ask how you are checking how you ovulate i would like to see if i am still ovulating too, good luck n fingers crossed for u.
Millie
Are you checking your mucous?  I'm 47 and I think I'm pregnant.  So far, I'm five days late and my cervix is very high.  
I am 47 and I am now 7.3 weeks pregnant.My Husband is 62.We were told after 3 misscarriages 2 in week 6 and one at 8.6wks and 2 blighted ovum 6yrs ago that we could no longer get pregnant.I had an ultrasound yesterday that showed a perfectly well delveloped baby with a strong hartbeat of 160min and viable.I have had mild period like cramps on and off weekly from week4.I have spotting of pink to red blood in the morning and non in the afternoon the past 2 days. My uterus and cervic has gone from rock hard to soft this past week.I am terrified of misscarring again. But yes miricle do happen. I will keep everone updated.
Hello, I too am 47 & 6wks pregnant.   I have been feeling so positive, thinking this is finally my time (had miscarriage at 43yrs 6wks+) so happy for you that you got healthy baby.  I found out day after my partner went offshore for a month (have told him although he just gets a 10min call per day - its really hard) my sister is in Oz & mum off to see her in 2wks, so wont speak to mum as she'll only cancel her trip.  Feel so alone at moment...was wondering how you feel about the age thing?  I'm not bothered what other people say or think, but cant help wondering if I'm being selfish wanting this child, as will be 60 when its 12, am I being fair? wold love to hear your thoughts.  Once again so please for you & take care of yourself x
Congrats on your pregnancy!!!  I had my twins at 45.  ( I used donor embryos though). Anyway, just wanted to say, I have not regretted it one bit :).
I hope you both have happy healthy pregnancies :)
You are so blessed by God and Nature to be expecting a Baby. You will be able to handle both your baby an your grandson. Go never gives you more than you can take. Everything will be fine, Keep your baby and Trust God.
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
People, like your grandson's Mom, who are addicted to heroin, can go to rehab, many people recover. They need to take a medicine called Suboxone, that helps them stop the drug cravings and the high, so they don't take the drug. They need to take this medicine every single day, it works very well. Don't loose hope.
Don't give her any cash, you can only help a person with a drug addiction problem with food and shelter but no cash at all.
When the court orders drug addicts to get tested every week or go to jail, it can be very helpful to motivate them.
MAy God bless you and protect you and your children and your grandson's mom.
There is always hope.   6 of my 13 children were born in my 40's.  All single births,  no reproductive assistance.  Now I am 50 and wondering if I am done or if there is one more lovely surprise in store for me.  
I think it is amazing you are pregnant - I am trying hard here at 46 almost 47.  Please share more if you can on how you conceived and how it is going!  Blessings!!
So excited to see other woman at 47 still trying and wanting the challenge of becoming a mother.  I am 47 and have a 19 year old soon to be 20 year old son.  I was a widow for 12 years and have recently gotten re-married to a beautiful man who never had children.  We have been married for 2  1/2 years and we have been trying.  We think we are pregnant!  I had a positive urine test at Dr's office last week, but the blood test came back negative.  I will have to re do my blood test in a week.  We are hoping we are.

Great to hear that woman in their late 40 are still trying and wanting to produce.  I'm not alone in this feeling.

It can be done!  Wish us luck.....
God is good all the time. I have been trying since 42, am now 46, I hope I will be successful by God's grace.
May i ask if it was with donor eggs?
Your child is your blessing,May God bless both of you.  I lost my son at the age of 18 in a car accident on 6th july 2015, Me and my husband is devastated, We are dying to have another child, But I am 46 yrs and my first IVF failed. Now one doctor advised me to take medication for 5 to 6 months to make my eggs strong and then try. I am worried time may not run out. Anybody can advice me pls
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us