Odds of Pregnancy at Age 47?

I'm already a whole week late, with subtle signs of pregnancy.  I just turned 47 and was planning on tying my tubes here in the the next month or so -- and now this?  I can't even find out what the odds of a natural pregnancy at my age are.  Some very definite changes from my "routine" cycle.  I've got some nausea, tender breasts and one negative pregnancy test.  But with my youngest son, my home pregnancy test also turned out negative, even though I was pregnant.  It just seems ridiculous to be pregnant -- we weren't even trying  and my husband didn't even have an orgasm -- he limped out during that encounter (around my birthday).  So it seems kind of like a joke.  I'm about ready to try a test again -- still no period and almost 2 weeks late now.  I keep reading how it's almost impossible at my age to get pregnant naturally.  Any comments?

Lindy
That is SOOOO cool mom of 16 and given me hope!! Look forward to seeing pics of your new son!!
This is a HOT (meaning exciting) thread...ok...I have to calm myself so that I can write like I have some sense. ;o)  I am floored, because I was going to come in with my story...just heard it from a friend who lives in N.C. & works in a hospital there. She told me that a lady in the neonatal ward who is 56 yrs. old...Did you all see that number? The lady is 56...gonna check to make sure it wasn't 54, but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past 50 and the lady got pregnant NATURALLY!! HEY...it ain't over until the Big, Beautiful & Bodaius lady sings and apparently girlfriend is still warming her vocal pipes. I was soooooooo happy & encouraged by that news. It inspires me that I can still carry my baby from my own body...I don't have anything against any other method...not DE or any of them. You as an individual have to come to "THAT" place in your heart where you know... now is the time for me to go in a different direction...try a new way and I am not there.

The story that I've shared is great, but my Gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl...momof16 has put the icing all up side the proverbial CAKE. ;o) Sorry ladies...had to go a lil' slang on ya to really make my point. That is the LADY...she brought it to the movies...meaning she made the statement that kicks all those nay sayers...especially negative RE's comments out the window.

See...my thing is this, we all have our own idea of what is good for us. So...if being over 40...some even think 35 is too old for you to have a child...fine...don't have one, but don't be so discouraging as to say these things to others whose hearts desire is to conceive a baby and aren't sooooooo worried about the age factor. I mean I believe we are all mature indivuals and that we are intelligent enough and can research the risk involved w/becoming preg at a more mature age.  BTW: This isn't directed at anyone...just my think out loud mind on download. As I've shared and know that many have read, my bbf was 46 when she became preg...thought she too was going to "sweat-city"(our term for it ;o) for a while, but instead she was very much positive w/baby n belly. ;o) She delivered a healthy & beautiful  baby girl after she turned 47.

It can be very disheartening when you hear someone (usually medical doc) say it's all over for you...you won't be able to conceive period w/your own eggs and definitely not naturally. So, for all the Sister Girlfriends 35 & over...special shout out to my GURLZ 40+...know that it can be done. Go the distance...whatever that is for you and don't allow anyone to take your hope away...DO YOU...whatever that is and however long it takes for you.

I really enjoyed this thread...very diverse in that we all have these different opinions, but more to the point...we have a strong over 50 lady on this thread who is 2 1/2 months pregnant...NATURALLY...it seems...correct me if I'm wrong momof16. ;o)

reflect8ion: You hear what I'm saying girlfriend? Do you! ;o)

kiaragirl: Work it out baby...you can do this!!! ;o) Check out Ms. Lady...momof16!! ;o)

vma: You are too funny w/that reply. ;o)

Dad2Maria: Work it out girlfriend...stay strong

Tennesseegirl: Gurrrrrrrrl...you are so full of baby beauty...I'm just waiting to see how beautiful girlfrriend is going to be when she gets here. ;o) Post plenty of pics of Ms. lady, or was it still Savanha? ;o) Yes...I remember.

Cheers Ladies,
Savanha~

I am now 6 months pregnant and will be 25 weeks tomorrow.  I am really enjoying watching the faces of the doctors who deal with "numbers" every day.  I deal with faith in
God and I know that God can do ANYTHING!  I've seen so many miracles already with our adopted children from Russia.  All should have been dead or severly handicapped.  They are all "normal" today.  Some of them were denied adoption by a judge until God turned things around for us.  We are a family of miracles and I will gladly testify to that.  This isn't to say that I haven't had my share of heartache.  I went through years of abuse that finally turned into physical violence.  I left my husband and raised 8 children basically alone until I met Mark last year.  My 3 adopted teenagers went off the deep end and got into drugs, sex and left home.  Yes, it has been hard at times, but God has answered Mark's prayer for a son, even at my age of 51.  So all things are possible.  

As far as it being harder to be pregnant at my age, I haven't noticed a difference.  I'm still active, although I take naps every afternoon.  If I feel tired, I slow down what I'm doing.  But we love to camp and hike and will be leaving in a few minutes for another weekend trip in our RV with 10 kids and a dog!  I feel great. No high blood pressure or anything.  I'm not a health nut,  or weight watcher or anything.  Just a fairly "normal" old woman!  I asked not to be monitored as a high risk patient unless some problems arise.  I don't like all the poking and prodding and tests.  The prospect of having a Down's child doesn't scare me.  I will raise him with joy.  Right now, I'm loving being pregnant and feel very, very blessed!

Joann
No wonder you got pregnant momof16 with that fab attitude!! You are an example to us all!! THANK YOU!
OMG I feel like I am 80 this time copared to the last pg... I keep saying being pg at 34 is so different than 28... I am so much more tired this time.. I enjoy it more but it is kicking my butt
Hi Momof16 and Everyone Else:

Somehow I lost the address for this site and didn't post for a while.  As an update, I think I might have been pregnant for a couple weeks or so and then lost it.  I'm back to clockwork periods.  I'm not upset or anything -- wasn't quite ready for another kid anyways.  But it's nice hearing comments from all of you.  Women older than 45 are almost treated like aliens or freaks for being pregnant, and told we're likely to miscarry or give birth to highly deformed babies.  But I don't think that's true and most of these women will have normal kids.  So good luck to you and congrats!  Wish you the energy to go along with that young one on the way!

Lindy
Ladies...

Back on TOP. ;o)

Cheers,
Savanha~
As I seit here and read your comments, I am blown away of how much love,determination and dedication you (young) hearts have for your family.

Savanha- By the way I love that name. You go girl!!! You tell it like it is.

Momof16- You are an insperation, to this generation. I admire you.

And to all the other mommy's and mommy's to be. The numbers on the cake don't mean nothing, its what is in the heart and sole. Take care and Congratulatons to everyone!

Hopefully soon I will be joining you all on the baby train.

Hugz,
Pamela

Well I have never posted before on the web, so here goes.  I am 47 yrs soon to turn 48yrs.  My husband and I have been married 16 yrs and this was our second marriage for both.  I had a son previosly and he had a daughter and son.  Our children when we married were 12,11,8.  I then got pregnant with our daughter at age 32yrs.  From there we had four more daughers with a total 5 daughters. Total today is 8.  I had my last planned pregnancy at age 43yrs.  Well  we were just floored this week when I did a preg. test and results were positive.  I tried to conceive with my youngest for a year.  This time we were watching signs and trying to avoid preg.  I am still in shcok and feelings of guilt that I wish to miscarry.  I have had two miscarriages but so far this preg. feel viable by all signs.  I am probably only 5-6 weeks.  So yes it is very possible to become pregnant naturally after age 47 yrs.  I pray for the graces to come to acceptance of this preg.  Also how does everyone handle all the negative comments from family and friends?  My hsuband will be 72 yrs when this child is 18.  Thank you for listening any positive comments welcomed...
I turned 45 a week ago... gulp..
when I fist found out I was pregnant... I freaked!! The ob made me feel like a bigger one when he saw me with a big pos!! (just the inpresion I got).. He started talking the testing... the extra bloodwork... etc.. the rate of m/c.. the amnio testing... of course I was still in shock and just wanted to craw under a rock.. but now? I think Its wonderful.. and what a Joy?.. I will get to do again!!  I really dont care what others think.. Im just happy I get another oppertunity to fall in love again... now how special is that? oh.. btw..
funny... NOW.. hes saying I have a body of a 20 year old!!!!!!
I say GO FOR IT.

kymoms.... lol.. you cant look at the Big picture like that... will drive you nuts.. I know.. I did that at first...you need to look at day to day and enjoy just that... smile
I can understand why you would be a little frightened.  I have no doubt though that when the shock wears off you will be excited and feel happier about the whole thing.  As for negative comments...it is so common these days to give birth a bit older, and for those that feel the need to comment negatively, I say ignore them...actually I would be more likely to tell them where to go, but thats not for everyone.  You will be great.  I will be just about 40 when I have this baby (my first), and plan to have at least one more, God willing. As so many have said, age is just a number.  And although we defintely have a slight increased risk for defects, its not that much higher, and we can test for them.
Good luck to you!
HI,
Thank you, thank you, thank you! :) What encouragement! Finally, some positive vibes for us "older" ladies. I have been quite discouraged until today when I read this thread! I have felt foolish and selfish for wanting another baby...until today! You all have givien me the boost for the extra mile I have needed! I will only ttc naturally...it's in God's hands anyway. Do any of you take fertility blend or anything natural? Any good stories to share? Thanks again...you have blessed my heart!

Blessings,
Michelle
I just got a herbal supplement that has black cohosh, agnus castus, wild yam root and red sage, which is suppose to balance my hormones but also says not to take if pregnant ???? (didnt see that bit till got home) so hoping all these things will help me tc naturally.
I am 51 and conceived naturally.  I am 30 weeks.

I am 39 and conceived naturally - 3 times since nov.  I did use egg whites last time to help with ECM, but thats kind of a controversial subject as some believe it can cause problems.  I was going to use preseed next time if I didn't conceive this time.  I know, not as good a story as some of our late 40's and early 50's mom to be's (momof16, I swear, you are my hero!!), but I was still told it could be difficult for me.  Don't listen to anything negative anyone has to say, you know your body best.  Good luck to you.
I found this forum by googling "odds of conceiving at age 47" because I'm in the same situation as you are.  I'm TERRIFIED that I'm pregnant.  I have one daughter, aged 11, and the reason I never had other children is that my pregnancy was a nightmare.  For some stupid reason I never forced my husband to get a vasectomy.

I was hoping to hear that it's impossible to get pregnant at my age, so I'm feeling discouraged.  I rarely miss a period, though my cycles are fairly irregular (anywhere from 19 to 50 days). For women my age who WANT to have a baby, I wish you the best, but for me it would be a disaster.  On top of having to spend 4 months in bed sick, I'm also worried sick about genetic abnormalities.

I can't even take a pregnancy test for another week.   The stress is killing me.
My fiance went bike riding with a 50 year old woman yesterday - she did a triathlon this year and had a baby last year!  She got pregnant at 49.  I loved hearing that and just wanted to pass it along for all women who WANT to have a baby late!  (own eggs/natural pregnancy)
I'm glad to hear all of these women have had pregnancies w/their own eggs - kudos to you and congrats!

I'm going to be the devil's advocate here and say that lots of times women aren't successful in their 40's.  Conception is one thing but carrying the baby to term is another.  The rate of m/c is extremely high due to egg quality.  I could get out links of scientific data to back me up but I know that it's useless.

Of course there are women age 40+ who get pg w/the 'golden' egg but believe me it's not as often as everyone would think.  Sorry to be the downer one here.  
When I told the doc I wanted a baby she was ok about it when my husband was with me. When I next went on my own feeling I had her backing she was very negative with me.  I insisted I wanted a baby so she reluctantly offered advice.  I wont see her without my hubby now.  We have tried for a long time now.  Well a year and a half.  I appraoched a second male doc in order to request chlomid that i had been told about.  Well he just made me feel like a darn fool.  I thought I was back in the headmasters office as a child having not done my homework.  I am on my first bash at chlomid.  All the notices from you older woman have given me sooooooooo much hope.  I am forty five by the way and have never had a child.  I have so much to tell you all but I am worried the world will know who I am! can they find out from this site!  if not I can tell you the problems i have encountered.  They are very private.  I will keep trying for my first child.
good luck everyone
holly - I'm not sure what kind of dr you're seeing, but I highly recommend an re (reproductive endocrinologist) especially due to the fact that you're 45.  I'm sorry your dr made you feel bad.  That's why I suggest seeing the above dr.  They know so much more than a regular ob/gyn about fertility.

My own re had a baby w/her own eggs at 43 so nothing's impossible and she's the first one to say that but she's also a realist.  The ultimate goal is to have a healthy baby & of course a healthy mother as well.

I believe your privacy will be protected on this site.  The ladies here are supportive and give great advice.  I've never seen one who've gone searching for someone's identity.  We're all here to support one another through pregnancy/babyhood.  Btw, I had a healthy baby boy at the age of almost 45 in April (we used donor eggs).

I hope everything works out for you - good luck!
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.