Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community
Pregnancy at 44 ?

If you've been trying to conceive (TTC) for less than one year, this patient support community is the place to discuss your hope, inspiration, joy and struggles, as you sprinkle Baby Dust during the Two Week Wait (TWW). If you’ve been trying to conceive for more than one year, please visit our Fertility/Infertility/IVF Community.

Pregnancy at 44 ?

I am a 44 yr old woman. I had a daughter when I was 41 years old.  At 43 I had two miscarriages. I'm still trying for a sibling for my daughter. I would like to hear from others who have had successful pregnancies (normal pregnancies, w/o donor eggs) at age 44 and above. Have you heard of any cases of women this age that used Clomid and were then successful?

Thanks,
Olivia
I just want to say Good Luck to you and I am sooo happy that you had a baby at 41!!!  I wish I could answer your question but I don't have any info. for you....Did you go to a fertility specilaist for your first one????
I have absolutely heard of it!  My cousin just had her 5th baby at age 44 and all was normal and fine. They didn't even need to moniter her closely as "high risk" or anything. Also, (I know, this is so dumb, but I'm a reality show addict) on Project Runway, Laura is about your age and having her 6th child with a 62 year old man!! :)
GOOD LUCK!!
I am 43 and trying to have a baby too! I had a m/c in Feb and a blighted ovum followed by a d&c in Sept. I am going to get some testing done to see where my fertility stands. There are a women who have successful pregnancies over 40 so I think we both should hang in there and keep trying! Good luck and keep us posted!
Hi everyone.  Thanks for the words of encouragement!  We did go to two IVF places and had all the tests. The basic answer was, there isn't anything specifically wrong, just likely theres a diminished egg reserve and lower egg quality.  One other thing - on my first pregnancy, it happened on the first try, immediately in the first month we tried. My husband and I were so surprised how quickly and easily it happened.  I'm wondering if that was just a fluke, or if  it could mean I may have a little better chance than what they show in the charts that list probabality of conception at various ages.  As I recall, around age 40 there is only around a 10% chance of success and at age 44 it dropped well below that (to around 1% to 3%) according to the study referenced by the IVF clinc. Also,  I'm not sure if its worth taking the clomid or not, so I'd love to hear of any cases in my age group where clomid was taken.

Thanks again,
Olivia
I think there is an u/s that can lookk at your eggs & see how many there are as well as the quality of them. Check to see if your fertility clinic does this or has info on this procedure. I'm hoping to get one done too!
My grandmother had twins when she was 44--back in the day before there was medical intervention or prenatal vitamins.  

I'm approaching 43 quickly and I'd like to think that I can still have a healthy pg.  I have a 2 yr. old ds that I was pg with on our 2nd try.  Unfortunately, I have not been quite as lucky since then.  I seem to get pg very easily, but have had 2 m/c's in the past 5 months.  

My Dr. has been urging me to just continue trying and not to worry about going through all the testing that ultimately may not give me any answers.  His feeling is that at my/our age it's just a numbers game to get to the healthy one.  

Keep us posted how things go for you and if the clomid helps should you decide to go that route.  Good Luck!
Well, I don't know of anyone your age who took Clomid, but it does make you ovulate with  more mature eggs, so why wouldn't it have the same effect on a person of any age??
I think you should try the Clomid...why not??? at least for 3 cycles and no more.... but hopefully the first clomid cycle will work for you...I agree with Jen-KE.... I used clomid and I made 3-4 mature eggs each cycle!!!  Good Luck
im so glad to hear you are out htere! I thought I was the oldest one on this forum! Im 39 and pregnant with my first
(14 weeks) We will definately try again but I will be 41 by then and Im confident it will be fine! Good luck ot all of you over 40!! I will be one of you soon!!
My mom (accidentally) got pg at 43, had a m/c, and got pg (accidentally again) 2 mos. later. Two months after turning 44 she had a healthy baby boy.
I always said that if I didn't have a child betime I was forty that I wouldn't have one.  I'll be 35 in Feb and have had 5 miscarriges the latest one this year.  I have no living chidren but reading ya'lls story gives me hope that if I am not preg. at forty than I still have a chance.  Good luck to all.
I am 43 years old (turning 44 in 2 months, yikes) and almost 13 weeks pregnant (will be 44 and 5 mos. when born).  

We did have 2 m/cs earlier this year (blighted) which is to be expected. I don't have problems getting pregnant, just staying pregnant.  Doc says egg supply. Said keep trying.  I didn't know the rate was that low (10%) though.

I just got my ratios back from NT/first trimester screening and went from a 1:22 risk of defects to a 1:395 risk. The doctor really thought the baby looked great (nuchally speaking) but the number just won't go that far down because, well, we're old!! We are settling with that factor and giving up on amnio--after all when I had my first ones, that was actually my risk factor back then and I was carefree.   I have 2 kids from when I was 33 and 35 (I didn't think I was a spring chicken back then, now I think I was a babe in the woods!) My husband (2nd, no kids yet) is thrilled and I am sure we (I) will be better parents than first time (that is, more $, more time, more patience, more experience, better marriage). Then again, I sure am TIRED and CRABBY.  I think it can be done---hope it can. It is awful hard to lose the babies though... I still have my fingers crossed and am VERY nervous. I am the most paranoid patient my doctor has ever seen. But she is very indulgent with me. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!
My aunt had a child at 43 without the use of any medications...her son is now a happy, healthy 10 year old.

I think if it's meant to be it will be. Being a teacher of Natural Health, it is my own opinion that if your body is able to handle it, it will happen. If not, maybe there's a reason why it's not happening.

Either way, I wish you the BEST of luck! I certainly hope your child gets the sibling you so desire! :)
Im 41 and pregnant with my first child. I had a m/c in feb and am now 22 wks! Believe me when I tell you, the scarriest thing was waiting for the amnio to come back. I would love to have a sibling for my daughter but I have had several problems with my health that I just dont know if it would be in my best interest. I too thought I was the oldest one on here  :)
As you have seen just on this site there are many of us over 40 and pregnant. I was 41 with my 2nd child and now I'm 43 with my 3rd. I'll turn 44 in Mar. I'm due in Feb. Mine were both naturally conceived. I developed Pe with my 2nd at 41 and I'm being closely monitered with BP meds now during this pregnancy. The miscarriage rate I understand is very high for over 40. Good luck and keep the faith. God had blessed me when I thought there would not be another baby so late in life and now I'll have 3 :)
I'm 44 using clomid for the first time.  Had our 1st child at 41.  Fell pregnant naturally and everything went normal.  When our baby was born he weighed 9lb 1oz.  Have also been through the blighted ovum's at least 4 times.  Did not need an amnio done because of our figures.
Ours is a great story but my only wish is for two children as I'm an only child myself.  In fact at this point in time on my mothers side there is a history of only childs going back to my great grand mother.  I'd like to know the 5th generation broke the cycle!  Good luck and pray for all those women who are trying to make their families complete with these little joys!
Phew! I feel better for reading these. I'm 44, conceived naturally but miscarried at twelve weeks but going to try again. I spend hours researching the internet, get a bit fretful and then find some really positive people like yourselves and feel so much better. So thats it!  I'm not reading any more tonight, everything is going to be just fine.
My Nan had twins in her forties so I'm hoping it's in the genes.
  Wishing us all luck X

I am 43 going 44 this november. urgh!! but I really want to have another child ; I have one lovely wonderful boy now aged 8 year old. I regret to have wainted for so long to get my second one. In fact I have trauma delivering my son that I was also very scared getting pregnant when my son was 2-3 years old. I have seen a great gynae about two years back, but after doing a check up he said I am OK excpet for my fallopian tube was blocked on one side. He did a hydrotubation)??? and put me on a two cycles of clomid. But it doesn't work. Now, I tried not to think about it but as time flies I think my window of opportunity is closing!!!

At the same time I am unsure if it is possible to get pregnant with my thyroid problem occuring again ( I had one nodul removed in 1999).

Do you think I should continue trying or forget about it. I feel sooooo unsettled, now my son is 8 and he looked so lonely without another sibling and I really want another child.

I just found out I was pg.  I am 44, and going to be 45 next month.  This will be my 4th child, and my youngest is 9.  I am really scared, husband is upset, and really wants me to get an abortion. I dont believe in them, and refuse.  My concerns are a downs baby, and  I am embarrassed about my age. I work with (it seems) like everyone is younger than me.  I have not yet been to the dr.s, i dont know how far i am along, but i feel movment.  It really made me feel good reading all of this, like i am not so weird and soo old!     I took clomid when i was 25, had to use it 3 times, but finally got pg. with a girl.  My sister used it also, but only took 1 time to work.  The next two times just happened on their own, and this being the 4th time was natural also.  I was not fertile at all in my younger years, just the opposite, more fertile now, so backwards.  Anyways i just had to get this off my chest, as of right now cannot tell anyone, my husband wants to wait, of course i agree, i could loose the baby.    I do have thyroid disease since i was 26, it runs in our family.  I dont want to, that would be sad.  I just thought having a baby at this age is way out there, but now i see it is really not!!  Thank you all for that.  Good luck to all!
I'm 44, will be 45 in a few weeks.  I conceived naturally...by complete surprise...and am now just over 13 weeks.  We adopted a baby in February--so I'll have two in diapers.  I'm so worried about being able to handle this (I work full time).  But am thrilled that we are going to have one more.  I'm waiting on CVS test results.  Felt it was important at my age because I've been reminded constantly that my eggs are old!  But my doctor said she LOVES these kinds of stories of women who technically shouldn't get pregnant getting pregnant!  So, it CAN happen!  
Wow, I am so glad I found this site.  I just turned 44 and am trying for my 4th child.  Had my FSH and Estradiol checked and all looks good.  Hubby and I have been trying for a few months but no luck.  All sites are so negative about "old eggs", but my Dr. says just keep trying.  Not planning to use clomid or other meds.  Good luck to everyone out there!
We are 43 and my boyfriend is 46 and we are looking for our first child. We become foster parents 8 month ago of Rosibel a 17 years old girl and also grand parents for her son of 20 month today. She  is pregnant again... I hope to be pregnat soon also.
Wishining you luck!!!
I'm 45 (!) , going to have my 4th in 5 weeks (Xmas baby)by which time I'll be 46 (barely).  I had my 3rd in May 07 when I was a youthful 44. OMG, sounds very strange. It is kind of embarassing in that I didn't mean to have another one (last one yes was planned) and I didn't want to be an 'old' mother. My others are 13 and 11 Y.O. btw. I am hoping I'll still have enough energy to do kindergarten etc all over again.

I suppose I'm good news to the over40 crowd though. Had 2 m/cs before #3 at age 43 when we first started trying, but that baby #3 is perfect. Supposedly, from tests, this #4 is too (although we just did NT and blood and 18 wk and 28 wk u/s--I've never had amnio). My odds are now at 1:1500 for abnormality which is like a late 20 year old's so I can't fret too much. Pregnancy is harder; birth is easier at our age (if you have previous babies) so it's kind of a trade-off.

The babies are great when they arrive but it is a worrisome thing til then for us. I have a great dr who treats me like normal, low-risk since as she puts it, with 3 great babies, 3 uncomplicated deliveries, I am a thoroughly vetted as a good birther--unlike a lot of the first pregnancies that you don't know what will be the case. Best of luck trying... everyone... my only commonality in both is that they were both conceived when we were not trying (on vacation).
have you had any problems spotting in between your cycles or have your cylcles always been regular as you have gotten older?  Anyone else have any info to add to this question...please answer.
by ellie689, Dec 4, 2008

I'm glad to hear about all the over 40 successful pregnancies.  My husband and I are trying for our 4th child. I am 41 and will be 42 in Feb.  Have 3 girls, youngest is 8.  I stopped using birth control at age 40, had a miscarriage last year at age 41.  I am on my 2nd month of clomid.  Hopefully I will get pregnant this time.  Sometimes I am not sure if I can handle it because of my age but hearing all of your stories has been a tremendous inspiration.

Good luck to all!!
on the over 35 pg forum there are many!! good luck girls!!!
Well I just turned 44 I have a 10 year old and I want another baby really really bad... my soon to be hubby is not sure he wants to have a baby.. I've been working hard trying to convince him... looks like he is almost there.... couple months ago I did a pregnancy test and came out positive then 5 days later I did another one and came out negative... I think I was pregnant for a few days....... I am using progesterone cream and taking vitex... does anyone know about these alternatives....

Thanks for all the positive coments... it is very true that the more we look on line the more negative stuff we find...
I haven't had trouble with the cycles but you know I had an IUD for 3 years 38-41 y.o. so that kind of killed my cycles entirely (Mirena, w/hormones). After #3 I only had one period before I was pregnant again.  I did have 2 m/c's before #3 (that seems to be the most common problem for us).  I did use though OPK strips to make sure I was still ovulating. And I did have that doctor run the $3000 battery of blood tests where they can see if you have 'something' (dont' know what) that would keep you from carrying (didn't apparently)--that was right after the 2 m/c's. I have a lot of friends my age though that can't get pregnant (and they're trying really hard). Both times I wasn't paying attn' when I did conceive (i.e. I think you can try too hard too).
I became preganant with my first child at 43 yrs old.  I turned 44 yrs. old 2 weeks before she was born - she was a very healthy baby.  No problems with the pregancy and I have severe Crohn's disease.   Pregancy helped my Crohns and have not been on any of my medication for 1 year now.  Forgot to mention,  I became pregant on the first try.  
Now, at the age of 44 yrs. old will be trying for a second one soon.  
Good luck everyone!  IT IS POSSIBLY TO HAVE A HEALTHY BABY IN YOUR 40's!!
I became pregnant with my first child at age 43. I turned 44 years old 2 days before she was born. We had CVS testing and she is perfectly healthy and normal. Also, I'm a breast cancer survivor and am successfully nursing from both breasts. I had been infertile for 5 years prior to the pregnancy, and then, suddenly, our miracle happened after I'd given up all hope of ever becomming a mommy. Don't give up!
I am 43 years old and we are working on getting pregnant for the first time -- we had a m/c in Oct.  We have tried several IVFs but will keep on going until we have our baby.  Has anyone tried DHEA?  would love to hear results

keep trying
M
I am 43 years old and am pregnant naturally after two miscarriages in the past two years and an IVF attempt - will deliver just before my 44 birthday.  This will be my FIRST child and my husband and I are thrilled.  I was told use donor eggs, blah, blah, blah.  I knew I could get pregnant on my own - I did that without too much difficulty twice in one year and felt lucky, even though they miscarried.  I took it as a sign of som sort.  Resorted to IVF last summer after second miscarriage so they could "screen" the eggs before implanting, which there weren't enough of to risk losing, so they implanted two beautiful eggs that simply didn't implant in the end.  Went back to trying on my own, got pregnant, and I am now 20 weeks.  Did CVS test at 12 weeks, which came back with horrible results - full trisomy 15, not mosaic, complete.  Terrible, disaster, rare, blah, blah.  I was told to terminate immediately, do not wait or think you will make it to an amnio at 16 weeks, the pregancy wasn't meant to be, should have miscarried already, would lose the baby in the late second trimester, could be stillbirth, would be very difficult medically, mentally.....  I refused and opted/insisted to try to wait for Amnio against the "advice" of CVS doctor and my own OBGYN who I had for 20 years.  But growth was normal and heartbeat was still there - I chose taking and hoping for my chance at our baby.  Had the amnio and extensive testing since chromo 15 is an imprinting chromosome with more risks and they also had to do DNA and bloodwork for both of us.  I still didn't back down and said politely but firmly "bring it on, please".  My dear doctor for the past 20 years (who will no longer be my doctor - he doesn't have my back) had no hope and did no research for my pregnancy - he wouldn't even do ultrasound after CVS results to check on the baby.  I googled and found out more than he knew or cared to find out within 30 minutes which ultimately let me to find a great genetic specialist, who completely agreed with my approach, and arranged to get my testing done.  Waited the 7 weeks between the initial CVS results and the full amnio and bloodwork results and honestly was very peaceful throughout - I knew I was doing all I could and should no matter what the outcome.  And guess what - amnio came back perfect, as did the bloodwork, and we are having a wonderful and miraculous baby boy.   To all out there:  Faith and Fortitude - I truly believe these two things are more of the key to all things in life rather than statistics, doctors, and "odds".   I realize I am also very lucky but I still believe nothing is impossible for any of us.
Wow, I loved reading your stories. Thank you everyone! I'm currently 43 and will be 44 next month. I became pregnant easily with my first at 41 and delivered a healthy baby girl at 42. Very few problems to speak of and those I had were easy to manage. I am now sooo hoping for a sibling for my dd. My husband and I have been trying for over a year. My story is like many. I get pregnant easily but then miscarry. I've been pregnant 3 times since June 2008. I was pregnant last month but my hcg only got to 12. Just enough to make a sensitive HPT pick up a light line and then it was gone. The blood test confirmed that I WAS indeed pregnant.If there is anyone who is over 40, wants a friend to correspond with during this journey, my email is ***@****  

Michele
I am 45 and have a date set in March for receiving donor egg which was a heartrending decision to make.
I am a single ,no children i tried 5 unsuccessful times to conceive using IUI and one IVF but your stories are inspiring to perhaps try with my own eggs "one more time"--how do we know when to give up??
Your input would be priceless

RJ
I am 43 and 16 weeks pregnant.  Just found out it is a baby boy.  We will try for a girl next year but I was told there was little hope as my eggs were depleted after I had seen a fertility specialist and had a failed IVF when I was 41.  Turns out that I could conceive naturally only took vitamin E and A and hey presto.  I am sure that if it is meant to be then we will have our second quickly.  Keep trying everyone
As my Doctor told me "you're not too old to have a period, so you're not too old to have a baby! I will be 45 in 1 week, conceived when I was 44...first try...6weeks pregnant!
It is very encouraging to read all of these positive stories. I am 45 at the end of the month and just had a miscarriage at 61/2 weeks last weekend.  My partner and I have no children and we really want to have a child together.  I am very down about the miscarriage but reading all of these stories gives me hope and I am not going to give up.  Good luck to all those other women out there who are trying too.                                                                        
I cannot express how happy reading your stories has made me.  I'm 44 and going through my second back-to-back miscarriage.  I fully intend to try again and again and again.  My husband (45) and I dearly want a child.  We met 25 years ago and wanted to marry but as he was a US Marine and I live in Australia, the distance put me off and I let him go.  He found me again in April 2009 and we were married on 15 August 2009.

We want two children so will be BD'ing till we get them.  I'm not obsessed with charting, but it certainly keeps me sane while I'm waiting to TTC.

On the subject of Downs, I will not be having the amnio.  My sister had a Downs baby at the age of 19 and if Lu-Lu is anything to judge by, I say bring it on - Downs children are happy and loving children.

I wish every pregnant woman out their all the best with their pregnancies.
I can't begin to let all you ladies know how encouraging your posts are.  I am 44 soon to be 45 in April 2010. I had a TL in 1999 after my 4th child and recently had a TR 12-15-09. Age has never let me not have faith in getting pregnant, never embarassed to have a child at this age, and more importantly I've experienced bad so much in life that I can finally enjoy the good in my life presently.  Ladies remember faith will bring you through trials and tribulations. Let's keep this thread going for those who need encouragement.
I feel so positive after reading this thread. My husband and I have been trying for another child (we have 3 under 7) for the last year. I have had 4 miscarriages and I lost a twin over 2 years ago.
Losing my twin son has made me so unhappy and I desperately wanted another child before it was too late!
I'm now age 44 (45 in five weeks time) and have just started having problems with fsh levels and my GP has now put me on a 3 month course of clomid.
Hopefully, this will work.
The positive responses on this site are wonderful. There are so many medical opinions that are negative and it doesn't offer much hope to people!
Good Luck to everyone.
Just discovered this thread and joined. I am right on board, just turned 44 in November and been ttc for four or more years. Believe it is possible to conceive naturally, have also been to specialist, my FSH level and AMH level are good (that's anti-mullerian hormone, a new test they've been doing lately) I have good ovaries and seem to have many follicles on each one. I have one completely blocked tube at the uterine junction and one partially blocked but still have hope. Dr. says I can use my own eggs. My husband has a problem with the whole IVF thing, anyone else in that boat? He is a bit younger than me and really hung up on having a baby naturally. I haven't given up yet. You can't force things to happen but if you do have faith big enough to move a mountain then let's just see what will be! Keep the thread and the encouragement going. Thank you for all the positive vibes out there.
Hi .. I am very happy reading these posts as it has given me inspiration that I cld get pregnant again b4 I reach 45. I just turned 44 last month and have a 19 month old boy (concieved at age 41).         I also have an 11 year old boy from a previous relationship. My husband and I are married 2 1/2 years and we want one more baby. We have been trying since I gave birth to last one, but nothing so far. I haven't gotten pregnant, nor have I ever miscarried. I'm taking clomid 100 mgs this month and shld be ovulating next week. We're crossing our fingers it takes.  I  have already taken a cpl of cycles of clomid but nothing has happened.  I'd hate to think I'm at the end of my popping (as my Dr. puts it). Hubby and I concieved 3 weeks b4 we got married and we had only been trying 3 months.  Now its taking forever and I'm getting worried as the clock keeps ticking away....I think I have a good 12 months of trying b/c after 45 I know the numbers will be next to nil...anyway thanks for listening to me ramble on...I'll keep up faith that I'll fall pregnant soon...
hi im sade65 im 44 yrs olds an just found out im 5 weeks pregnant to my shock since i was not trying. i feel that their is hope for you who are trying an good luck an god bless. ps i have three grown sons who are over 20.
I just turned 43 in December 2009.  I have a healthy 7 year old son that was conceived naturally at age 35.  We wanted to add to our family and we got pregnant easily, but had one m/c at age 40 and another m/c at age 41.  I became pregnant unexpectedly at age 42 and things were going smoothly. Early tests and sonograms looked good.  Due to age, we had amnio just be be safe.  Doctor didn't suspect anything from the sonogram, but test came back showing DS.  We were shocked, including our doctor.  A very hard decision but we terminated.  Doctor said odds of it happening again, even at my age, were slim to none so we have been trying to get pregnant again since then.  Not using anything special.  I still mourn all of my losses and I am scared to be hurt again.  With what would have been my due date approaching next week, I am very depressed and sad.  The stories shared on this post are helpful and encouraging to know I am not alone.

i am 44 and am  trying to conceive, i have regular periods but am now late but tests are negative, thing is i have some symptoms sore breasts, dont want to go to doc's as am embaressed by the age i am and trying to conceive....any ideas would be fantastic
Hi all,
Have never used Clomid, but am 43 1/2 and have tried IVF for 5 times now. The last cycle was my best, but wound up with a blighted ovum. Have been really down as I wait to miscarry but am so glad that I found you guys and your stories of hope. More power to us. I will try my next cycle sooonest.
I am 44 years old (45 in August) and have been trying for a baby with my partner for over a year.  I already have two children from my previous marriage.  Every month I almost convince myself that there is no way that I can get pregnant but as soon as my periods start, I feel extreme disapointment and inadequate.  I have always wanted a 3rd child and my partner is desparate for one as he hasn't got any of his own, so a new baby would be a God send.  I am one day late and cannot stop thinking that maybe I am pregnant.  However, I have already tested negative twice and although I keep telling myself that I am not pregnant, I still manage to hang onto the hope that maybe implantation has not yet taken place.

Whilst I desparately want a baby, I cannot help but feel petrified at the thought.  I am worried that the baby might have health problems or will be born with down syndrome.  Or worse, it might be still born.  Also, what if something happens to me?  I still have two other children who are the world to me - if something goes wrong, they will suffer.

Also, if everything goes well, I think I will be quite embarrassed to admit to being pregnant at my age.  I worry about when the child starts school and been teased or being asked if I am his grand-mother!  I don't know any older mums in fact, some of my friends are already grandmothers.

Is anyone going through the same thing?
Hiya

I have just read your thread and desparate to know what happened as I am in exactly the same position.  Hope it was good news.
the exact same position even down to the 45 in August, the lovely man not having a child of his own, the disappointment at the arrival of each period,the trying to rationalise it all in your/my/our head(s) could've written your post myself! what a relief-Im not alone! I'm probably crazier, though Im hoping finding this site will make me a little less like a woman with a secret- i start wanting to test for pregnancy and thinking I've got symtoms (symptoms) about half a day after rampancy and right now this minute am dreading my period starting as I had convinced myself that this is the month...... it's due any minute..... but spend a lot of the rest of the time worrying that if I did get pregnant....well....you've said it all, the fear of guilt to other children if something bad happened, the poor unborn child's possible probs, the old mum at the school gate, etc etc. then on other occasions, and with the man Im with I think what the hell does it matter what anyone else'd think if it's what we want. its so confusing, and its horrid being of our 'we'll never get older' generation, thinking the time is possibly running out to be even thinking it could happen. anyway cheers milly, Im glad to read there's someone a bit like me- and hoping the very best outcome for you x
When I turned 42 the doctor insisted I came off the pill and we started using condoms and rhythm method. I'm 45 and will be 46 in May. I have two boys age 13 and 7 (Its his 8th birthday on Monday). I have been feeling generally unwell fo a little while and i went to the doctor two weeks back with a range of symtoms (symptoms). I mentioned I might be peri menopausal and I started to list my symptoms-very light couple of periods (the last one was very light lasted a day), The need to go to the loo (12 times in one day), and weight gain that I couldn't account for. There were others but he interrupted and said he couldn;t deal with all of these complaints at once and to pick one-so being a woman I picked the weight gain. he then started to patronise me with a doet sheet and a suggestion to attend some weight classes which were at unsuitable times as I have a full time career. he said other stupid things and I left upset as needed someone to have a chat to and chat about that I could do to help myself pre menopause. I was so upset that I couldn't go back to work for the rest of the day and I've complained about him. However....last weekend my period didn't come and it began to dawn on me that there may be other causes particularly as my husband and I seem to be very compatable fertiity wise-it only took 1 go for each of our boys. The irony is due to work patterns and busy lifestyles we only have sex once a month (which hubby moans about) and we are always careful. I don't feel sick but I seem to be aware of smells, I feel hot, I have to go to the loo alot, the waitband on my trousers feel tight but this isn't unusual before period and I'm no slim Jim. My breasts aren't particulary hard or tender but I did have a dizzy spell at work 4 weeks ago and felt faint and I've had loads of water retention. I've been in denial about this but yesterday at work I felt something MOVE in my tummy. I got a terrible shock and had to go and sit own in a quiet place-I am terrified as I've drunk plenty of alcohol at weekends and had a flu thing a few weeks back and took medication. If I am pregannt and I can feel it how pregannt could I be??? I'm still in denial-can't bare to take the test.
Denise
I was 42 when I got pregnant for the first time.

It was terminated through a D and C three months later. Missed miscarriage! I was 12 1/2 weeks when the ultra sound showed that the foetus had died around the 6th week.

I have many complaints about the hospital personel. They treated me as if I were twenty years old. They let me travel and fly to Europe without testing if the pregnancy was proceeding according to plan. I could have had a miscarriage at any minute during my stay in Europe...

On the way back, I was 8-9 weeks, and that is when they checked my blood. Of course they had no idea that the foetus was dead... On the 10th week the doctor examined me and did not show any concern when he did not get a heart beat. His reply was that I have a reclined uterus and he probably looked for it in the wrong place!!!!!!!!!!! You can imagine our shock when 2 weeks later the ultra sound showed that it was dead....

We started trying again 6 months later. I received no encouragment from my doctor. He kept saying that I am old and that I should consider donor eggs, or adoption. His advice was to see a specialist, but never sat down to explain in detail how difficult it gets at 43 and 44. My husband was very reluctant to see a specialist. His belief was that we do not need them and we can get pregnant without any assistance.

After 4 months of trying, without any success, we decided to see a specialist. He examined me and told me that at 43 I have a 5% chance of getting pregnant, and at 44, it is 0! Something in my uterus shows that my hormones are not doing well and the size of my cervix shows that I could have a premature labour. But my ovaries looked good.

He is going to assess my eggs in 15 days and prescribed me clomiphene. When I told him that a friend of mine in Europe is going to freeze her eggs at the age of 40-41, he was skeptical. In my case, he said it would not work, because all of my eggs are probably bad and they would get worse with the proceedure. He, too, advised me to consider donor egg and adoption. When I told him that my grandmother had her last child at 52, his reply was that her birth certificate was probably wrong... Also, my mother went into menopause in her 50's.

I came out of his office heartbroken! No words could ever describe my despair... Since the end of my first pregnancy, I have not received a single word of encouragement...

Reading all of these stories of hope, has lifted my spirit! Maybe we should not persue any treatment. Maybe my husband is correct. We will definitely keep trying, despite the fact that we are advised to turn to other solutions.

To all of you who keep trying, hand in there; we might get lucky someday...

Maria
My husband and I have tried to conceive for 4 years now. My older gynecologist put me on Clomid... I have since learned this was a big mistake. It can make it worse for women over 40. I am now 44. I've had 3 failed IVFs and 2 failed IUIs. I had great embryos and at the fertility clinic they were very optimistic. I went on amazing diets, had the chinese herbs, researched for 100s of hours, had accumpuncutre. I did everything right. There are no words to say how much I was against egg donation. Not a chance I thought! It took me a year to accept this idea. Now, I don't even think about it. We've looked at over 3,000 profiles of young women in different agencies, found one that very much resembles my characteristics and am now so excited to start my cycle. It will be anonymous. Over time we will tell our child that an angel helped us conceive him/her and later on explain in more detail. In the meantime, it's nobody else's business... we don't need the stigma coming from people who are still not familiar with this process. I will carry the child in my belly and give birth to our child who would not exist if weren't for me and my husband. The chances of me getting pregnant are 78%. I've never had a child, yet we have so much love to give. I have been through a lot over the past few years. I don't want to mope anymore. To me it's a no brainer. My husband was against it at first but now is beyond excited and is so supportive. We can't wait!!
oooops.... do know how to spell "acupuncture" :) But wrote the last post in 2 minutes. Hope it doesn't sound cold... I just get sad when I see how years can be wasted by feeling down... and we don't have time to waste after 40. It is possible to have a beautiful baby. Try not to discard the idea of egg donation... trust me I once did, and now know it's possible to embrace the idea!
Hello all,
I was pregnant at 40 but had a fetal demise at 6 weeks and pregnant at 41 and had another fetal demise. Now I am 42 and we are trying again naturally.
Good luck to all!!
I just turned 44 this month. I have been trying since April, 2008 at 41.  I got pregnant on clomid last year but lost it at 9 weeks - I had to have a D&C due to a missed miscarriage as well.  It was devastating and I still have not gotten over it and cry now and then still.   We have been trying ever since.  I am praying I get pregnant soon as I am beginning to lose hope.  I am still having regular cycles, but am on clomid again.  My FSH was great at 6 and my AMH was 1.7, which the doc said was very good for my age.  My husband just turned 31 and has no children of his own.  I really hope I can give him the gift of a child.
I am in U.K. and had my first child at 23 years old but divorced 3 years later. Met my current partner at 38. We had a daughter by chance at 39. We started trying for a sibling straight away but had a miscarriage at 10 weeks. We then had 3 bio chemical pregnancies and then another miscarriage at 12 weeks which turned out to be patau syndrome. We gave up hope and went to Florida on holiday. I didnt want my period whilst on hols so doc gave me Northesterone to delay period. You take this 3 days prior to period starting and then when you stop taking it your period comes in as usual, I returned from hols but my period did not. Turned out i was 7 weeks pregnant and gave birth Dec 09 and was 44 one month later. I have just returned from hospital as i had a positive test but they said my uterus is empty so waiting for period to start. i should be 6 weeks. We are keen to have another baby and i am going to take clomid to increase our chances. Hope this gives you all hope. I know how lucky i am but we would still like to increase our family.
just a note of encouragment to all over 40 trying to conceive. A friend of mine has recently had baby number 15 whithout any medical intervention. Conceived completely natually. She is 47 and hubby is 50.
I am 42, will be 43 in November. I have a 25 yo daughter. I am getting married for the 1st time to a 53 yo in January. He wants us to have a child together. I think we're too old, but now I'm here doing some research on this.
I am a 44 year old women just had my birthday. Me and my DH having been TTC since March of 2010. I had a TR in Dec09. In June I had a HSH test where it showed that my right tube is blocked. I am now on Clomid this is my second cylce.
I am 43 (44 in Oct) and my husband & I have been trying for about 6 months now to get pregnant. I have 2 older sons 27 and 17 and a 4 year old (my husband's 1st) who was born when I was 39. After that pregnancy I had a tubal and later a blighted ovum. Everything I've been reading about women in their 40's trying to conceive and/or having babies has been so depressing and discouraging that I lost all hope! I just resolved in my mind that it was too late, I was too old to have another child "naturally" with my own eggs, but these posts have given me hope again! Your stories are so encouraging that I actually started to cry (happy tears)! My doctor said if I didn't conceive after 6 months of trying, that I needed to come back and I'm assuming for some type of testings, which I'm not familiar with.  My appointment is Oct 10 (I'll be 44). I'm praying by then, that visit will be a "prenatal" visit instead of a visit to test my fertility :-)  Please keep me (us) in your thoughts and prayers

God Bless you all I wish you all much success in conceiving and having your beautiful HEALTHY babies!
Hello!   I am now trying a round of clomid 50mg. I will keep u all posted. I am 42 and DH is 38 yrs old. We are doing clomid and then IUI. We did a round of Clomid in April and tried the natural way without IUI but nothing happened.  Recently though my husbands semen #'s came back as low/normal for motility and amount. Nurse said its fine for IUI though. I have kids ages 23yrs and 6yrs.
I'm 44 just decided to try again.  I have children 25, 20, 18 and a 5 year old that I gave birth to at 38 after having a tubal reversal.  Took only 3 months to conceive after the reversal.  I am a little nervous after reading all the negative comments on the web but this sight has given me new hope.  Will keep you posted.  
hi im marty im 43 i have a 21 and a 20 year old im 44 end october 2010 my partner and i are trying to conceive his first you have given us hope thankyou so much.  my period 2 weeks late negative home preg test we off  to fertility clinic i get so down but am determine. to have our baby soon. thankyou and good luck all xxxxxxxx
43 yo & turning 44 in January. We have a 7 yo son, who is the love of our lives. We tried to have a  2nd child when he was 3 but had 3 mc instead. I had an IUD placed 3 yrs ago but recently started thinking about having another child. I want our son to have a sibling & I don't  want any regrets of not trying 1 more time, so I had the IUD removed over a month ago. I work for an OB/GYN & she has been so supportive & has even done a  ultrsound to check my follicles, which looked great! I will find out in 7 days &   if I'm not, my husband & I have decied only to try for 6 months. Good luck to everbody who is trying.
I am 43. I have three lovely daughters, 19, 15 and 11. DH and I want to have one more. I have had two miscarriages in the past year. I seem to get pregnant easily, but have trouble holding onto the pregnancies. Likely due to "old eggs". I have read SO many negative things about pregnancies after 40. My own OB doctor doesn't believe I can ever have another healthy baby and has recommended donor eggs or adoption. I would like to try one or two more times before giving up. Your stories have given me hope! It is so difficult to find any encouraging information about pregnancy after 40. Keep the positive stories coming, ladies! Hopefully I will be able to add my own soon.
I'm supposed to be working right now, but this topic is so on my mind that I did a Google search and found this site.  This is amazingly encouraging!  I am 43 now - about to turn 44, end of next month.  I've never had a child.  My husband and I have been married for nearly 8 years and have never officially "tried."  His attitude has always been that if it happened, he would be fine with it, but never wanted to go out of his way. It just never became a priority. Well, I've just thought I had to accept that I will never be a mom because the window of opportunity has closed anyway for me.  But now, reading all of this, maybe I'm not nuts for wanting to make one last ditch effort before the lights go out.  My sister is pregnant with her second at 39 - just found out.  She had no problems conceiving, but is a lot younger than me.  Last year, I think I might have had a miscarriage or something similar - went 6 weeks with no period but really tender, swollen breasts and belly.  Just when I got ready to take a test, I started my period and it was a really odd cycle - very light and then a few days later, very heavy.  My doctor recommended I go to the fertility center ASAP if I was even considering it.  I talked with my husband about it and he said he thinks he might feel tied down.  But what about what I feel?  I just can't seem to let it go!  Maybe I will go to that fertility center after all.  Just to see where things stand.  Thanks everyone for letting me share.  You are a godsend!
Just wanted to drop a line of Hope. :) I became pregnant naturally at 40, gave birth at 41. My first pregnancy. No miscarriages. It can be done. My OB/GYN had me visit for Stress Tests every Monday at 8 am for the last 2 months of pregnancy. I have high BP (prior to pregnancy) but seriously there were no problems. He induced to "be safe" but again--no problems (I did cheat and have an epidermal though). We have a "perfect" (Doctor's words and ours!) baby boy at 7'6 ounces and 22 inches long. He's 4 yrs old now and all is well. Hope...Prayer and Belief :) P.S. and as odd as this sounds, we give up caffiene for Lent and that's when I became pg. I don't know if it matters, but all hints are good :)
Im 43. I had my tubes untied last october. They were tied for 16 years. My new husband wants a child of his own. I have 3 girls. I did an fsn blood test, had a vaginal ultrasound. They seen 11 follicles..I was told was good. My husband sperm count is 6.5 million, they said a good count is 7.8 million. We may need to do an IUI to get pregnant. On the 19th I get the HSN done. I may also need to use clomid to help stimulate the eggs. My docot said the shots may be more effective.
Hi All,
I'm glad to find this website to give me hope and encouragement.
I had my first at age 40 natually, and got pregant again naturally at age 43 but ended up in miscarriage. I'm still recovering from this loss but try to stay positivie also. all info I find internet or doc's opinion were so negative and impossible for my age to get pregnant. but you guys gave me hope that I still have a chance. thank you all.
I am a 48 yr old who has recently missed two periods. I am desperately hoping i'm pregnant but also trying not to build my hopes up. I did a pregnancy test which came up negative but it could have been done too early. I am feeling bloated and have felt fluttering, also there has been some breast tenderness and lactation. I am just awaiting test results to see what my hormones are doing, it could be the change or i could be pregnant, though my biggest fear is that i want a baby so badly i could be having a phantom pregnancy. It is lovely to read all these letters and see the hope that everyone gives each other, but i did also notice that i do appear to be the oldest female on here. Anyway, i suppose time will tell though i worry about how much time if any i have left. When i asked my G.P about any help, she blatently told me no, no explanations or anything, basically it's tough!! But it's been inspirational reading others letter's, and good luck to each and every one of you xx
So grateful to stumble across this board. I am 42, 43 this December. We are TTC after a VR and haven't succeeded yet. We have five healthy children, but the youngest is ten years younger than the 4th. We want him to have a sibling to grow up with like our other 4 have. We did the vas giving into pressure from other people's opinions and the DR finally agreed to reverse it 6 months later. THANKFULLY. So here we are..3 months of trying and I am already discouraged. I am truly glad I found this board and could read other's experienced and regain some emotional strength from it all. I will be praying for successful pregnancies for you all, as well as for us. :)
I'm 45 and 7 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child, conceived naturally. My husband and I are taking it one day at a time...he doesn't want another child but we have a child with DS and I wanted to try again.

We are worried about genetics, but I am having a CVS and amnio if necessary. I think the DS was related to high stress, my age (I was 41) and possibly low Vitamin D--ladies, have your Vitamin D tested if you are having trouble conceiving.

In April I had my Vit. D tested and it was 22 (normal is 30-100). End if August I had it tested and it was 53! --due to taking a LOT of supplements...and then I was pregnant.

During my pregnancy with my DS child, I was constantly worried that something was wrong with the pregnancy...didn't have testing because homebirth midwife refused to help me get testing...and my instincts were right.

This time I am not worried, but the Dr. did test my progesterone and it was 14.7 one week, then went to 11.2 the next so I am now on progesterone. Next week I will have an ultrasound to check for fetal heart tones.

Maybe I'll check back in and keep you updated....

I see you just posted. I am 44 and just found out I am pregnant. I am 4 weeks along. We didn't try for this baby it just happened. I am 5 year old daughter and 2 miscarriages after her. I thought we could be there for each other. Hugs
I am also 43.3. yikes.  I have 3 girls 18,14,9  and never had a hard time getting pregnant.  I just started trying 6 months ago and just had my first failed ivf.  It's sad but true it might be my eggs but....  it doesnt mean stop until i say it.  I have a friend that got remarried at 40, had a child at 41 and then just couldn't have another.  She did ivf and it failed.. She got pregnant 18 months later on her own and gave birth at 45.  She's now 50.   I really thought my ivf would work with my 2 embies and max doses of stuff.  It didn't.  But i will try for 6 more months.  It can happen. really.
I am 42 and will be 8 weeks in two days.  I miscarried back in May, and was surprised that I got pregnant so quickly.  I have to older children from my first marriage, ages 9 and 11.  I had two uncomplicated pregnancies with them.  I have had three miscarriages in my life, one at 19, one at 30, and the one earlier this year.

This is my second marriage and we would LOVE to have a baby together...I am praying that this one is healthy and I carry it to term!!  I have loved reading all these stories as most of what I read is doom and gloom for over 40.  

It's so scary.  
I am 42 yo and desperately ttc.  I have 2 children aged 10 and 6. When I was young I always had irregular and painful periods and in my early 20's I was on the pill and  when I came off it I didn't have a period for about a yr.

A laporoscopy showed that I had according to the doc a dormant ovary and a sleepy ovary. Great!  I was put on clomid for several months but did not get pregnant. We decided to give the whole thing a break and adopted the motto 'If it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't' and stopped taking all the meds.  The treatment had brought my periods back but only every 2nd month as one of them must still be dormant.

Anyway I got pregnant without anything about a year later and had my daughter.  When I had our 2nd child it happened the first time I used a opt.  When we decided to have a 3rd I thought it would happen when I would use an opt again - it said I was ovulating but I didn't get pregnant.  We have been trying ever since but have not tried clomid since and not sure whether there is any point if it never worked for me the first time i was on it.  By the way I had my progesterone level checked with GP and she said that they were very good.

I'm obsessed with the idea of a 3rd baby and my daughter would love a little baby in the house!  Although I'm constantly worried about whether people would think I was too old but this forum is great for showing that I'm not the only one in this situation.
Yes, it is very difficult to have a baby at 43, 44 45. I have been trying and may now use donor eggs (I think it's a fantastic idea and consider us lucky that we have that option in this modern age!!)
But, as far as trying with our own eggs, from all of the things I have seen and read, it seems that the natural route could possibly work better for women in our age group. Not sure why, but I have heard from both infertility doctors and acupuncturists that IVF is a little harsh on older sensitive eggs and natural intercourse works best at this age. I don't know, but it's worth trying! :)
Good luck to everyone!
Im 43 years old, just remarried, have a 19 18 and twins 16 but he has none...we tried once and surprising we were pregnant naturally...saw heartbeat at 6 weeks then at 7 weeks no heartbeat...had d&c in august...oct pregnant again! didn't even know i ovulated....strong heart beat 6.4 weeks...today, 7 weeks no heartbeat :(...so exhausting emotionally....no bleeding again so scheduled d&c for monday....should I stop trying???? should i try an egg donor?....I cant imagine my husband never having a child
it really is beyond horrible have recurrent miscarriages and i feel your pain (having gone through 2 in 6 months).....as they say, it just takes 'one good egg'.....harder for us to find in our 40's, but if you can handle it emotionally, many women have done it at our age....so as you know, it's such a personal decision....you and your husband CAN have a child, it's just a matter of what route you consider taking.  stay strong...you will both figure it out :-)!  i met with a therapist the other day about the sadness of it all, and she said 'when you are going through infertility and TTC, each day feels like 2'...that really resonated with me....so yes, it's so hard, but somehow i have started to feel a bit better with time...
When my present husband and I got married, I was a 43 years old widow with three married daughters and grandchild on the way.  I had been married 19 years before my husband died in an accident.  I had been celibate five years when my present husband was "born again".  My husband was a 50 year old crack addict (17 year addiction).  We both still smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day-still trying to quit.  We drink plenty of coffee. My husband's blood pressure was uncontrollable -also has vascular problems.  He is a COPDer who has lost many teeth.  I married him...he was clean for 4 months, then relapsed "BIG TIME" (lasted three years) and seven months into our marriage I was pregnant.  Our son is a very healthy, intelligent (and handsome) 5 year old who is reading on a third grade level.  Thank you, God!  ---my husband has been clean 3 years!  It's gone for good and we are blessed with a beautiful family!
The above post was for lang0317...I'm new to the community and learning how to post.  I forgot to add that we were NOT trying to get pregnant.  God is love, and everything is under His control - pray about it - He listens.
I am 49 years old with a five year old son (born Nov. 28, 2006) who is super smart, healthy and handsome.  We DID NOT TRY TO GET PREGNANT.  The doctor said my husband was sterile and I had old eggs.  Also both of us are nicotine and caffeine addicts.  But here is our story...when my present husband and I got married, I was a 43 year old widow with three married daughters and a grandchild on the way.  I had been married 19 years before my husband died in an accident.  I had been celibate five years when my present husband was "born again".  My husband was a 50 year old crack addict (had a 17 year addiction!) and was still smoking crack when I got pregnant.  We both still smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day-still trying to quit.  We still drink plenty of coffee. My husband's blood pressure was uncontrollable -also has vascular problems.  He is a COPDer who has lost many teeth. But I married him...he was clean for 4 months, then relapsed "BIG TIME" (lasted three years) and seven months into our marriage I was pregnant.  Our son is a very healthy, intelligent (and handsome) 5 year old who is reading on a third grade level.  Thank you, God!  ---my husband has been clean 3 years!  It's gone for good and we are blessed with a beautiful family!  Praise God!
Have you heard of DHEA? There is a Dr in New York who is using it. I have used it for the past 8 weeks. Got pregnant on it the next month after failed IVF. I am 45 years old. I am 7 weeks pregnant. i go for an ultrasound tomorrow..so i am praying for a heart beat. I swear byDHEA.. THe clinic is NY specializes in women over 40 and they have had good success with this supplement..Good luck to you.
Lindy1966
I just read your post and was wondering how you are doing??? I recently read about DHEA but im wondering if there are any long term side effects....hope to here from you
hello just found this site and its given me hope again. Im 43 and me and my husband have been trying for 8 years, have had test but nothing is showing us as having problems, Have both got children from previous marriages. Been to the doctors but they make you feel so belittled because of your age and its so disheartning.
But now ive got hope again reading all these stories im going to go and see a specialist thank you everyone for giving us hope
I AM 4WAS PREGNANT AT 43 IN APRIL BUT MC IN JUNE. HAVE BEEN TRYING SINCE WITH NO LUCK., JUST GOT MY PERIOD TODAY. HAVE TRIED FERTILAID FOR 1 MONTH USE PRESEED AND INSTEAD CUPS AM GOING TO OBY/GYN 2MORO TO ASK O GO ON CLOMID. GOOD LUCK TO US ALL.
hi, my mum is fourty five and is unexpecitdly pregnant, she really is in two minds. she hates the thought of abortions but just wants the baby to be healthy. im fifteen and her only child. of course i want a little baby brother/sister, i went for a scan with her a few days ago, and the midwife said all looks perfect and it just made me cry how beautiful it was. all i want is for my mum to be okay and the baby, could someone please give advice? love this page and great comments. thanks all! please send me an email if you would! thankyou so much. ***@****
I had my daughter in May 1997 and I was 46 a month later. My mum had my sister at 42, my Aunt had twin girls at 40, my great grandmother had a baby girl at 51 and another at 52. All conceived naturally.
Thank you all for sharing your experience and personal tribulations.  I feel like I'm not alone.   Baby dust to all!

-  I'm 44 TTC first time, DH 32
-  Been trying for 6 months now
-  Charted temps and OPK -- all shows I ovulate regularly between CD 11 and 14
-  Day3 FSH = 11.5
-  Day3 E2 Estradiol = 56
-  AMH = 0.12  ng/mL
-  A1C = 5.2
-  TSH = 1.4
-  AFC = 3  (1 on right side / 2 on left side)
-  Just stopped smoking
-  Been on prenatal vit for over 5 months now;  take religiously every night
-  Transvaginal ultrasound shows normal uterus
-  I have regular cycle all my life....except the month that I had my transvaginal ultraound.  That was the first month that I did not have my period.  I have never missed my period in my entire life.  This makes me wonder if doing an ultrasound had anything to do with it.  They say it's safe but it's a machine that radiate ultrasound so it's energy.  I would be very warry about doing anymore ultrasound unless I absolutely have to.

My RE did the usual speech about donor IVF, chromosome disorders, miscarriage, etc.   While he has a point, he clearly doesn't understand a woman's determination.  It's sad cuz most REs come from the same background fellowship training and they reverbalize what they hear and learn.  They simply don't question....what if?   How can they push the limit?  How can they take risk?  How can they be patient center?  Most RE are just working from a box.  And the infertility business is a cash cow....big incentive for the industry to push women torward donor IVF.  Most companies that offer IVF afraid to take on women who wants to IVF their own eggs if they are over age 43 because the company success rate is affected and that rate could be brought down.  They don't think about how they can help older women to have successful deliveries with their own eggs.

Anyways, it appears I have very little chance of conceiving according to my RE.  But I only need on golden egg so DH and I are going to keep trying.  As long as I'm still ovulating, there's always hope.  I'm hoping for a golden egg.

Good luck to all.  I think science and faith can work together to bring hope.  We just have to be realistic as well as hopeful!

Jenny

i'm very glad to hear and read this post more encourage all women over 40 yrs old like me. I got my first son when i was 38 yrs old and I got 2nd pg when i was 41 but unfortunatelly i got m/c on 20 weeks (suddenly no heartbeat, but dr said its normal nothing wrong with me). After that i was scare to get pg anymore. Now i'm 43 yrs old and my son 5 yrs old. Since last sep my son want a baby for his sibling, every night he pray for a baby girl. I felt so bad abt that because of my age. But today after i read your post, i feel confidience to get baby anymore. Thanks for encourage us, my faith is growing again n believe God give the best for us. Thank you again all of you, wonderful moms!
I don't know if this helps or encourages anyone, but thought I'd share. I'm 43, my husband of 9 years is 32 and we have  2 children, currently expecting a specifically planned against, third. I was on the pill, took it religiously and am now due 8/12.

I too looked at the odds as it didn't seem possible. While researching what to expect during this pregnancy, I came across this site.

For those of you looking for hope, don't give up. It is possible to conceive at this age without any help. I'm sure my situation isn't normal, but it is possible.
I had my first  pregnancy at age 31 (my records had a label on saying 'geriatric prima gravida') and miscarried my daughter at 22 weeks.  I went on to have a healthy boy at age 33 and another healthy boy at age 35.  I was divorced shortly after that.  

I remarried at 39 and tried for more children straight away.  I had 3 miscarriages before my third son was born when I was 42.  During that pregnancy, I was under pressure to have amnio testing from my doctor and hospital but I refused because the only reason they had me as 'high risk' was my age.  If I'd had the same test results 10 years earlier I wouldn't have been considered a risk.

Since then I haven't been using contraception but was breast feeding for 18 months and didn't start my periods again until after that.  Then last September, aged 47, I had an early miscarriage which was a bit of a surprise.  It was quite hard and just before Xmas I decided enough was enough - I packed up 7 sacks of clothes from newborn size to age 5 and gave them all to a neighbour.  

Heard of sod's law?  I went into hospital for tests because of a suspected kidney infection the other day - to be told I'm pregnant again.  Their test apparently works very early because I was only at day 24 of my cycle.

So now I'm wondering if I should knock on that neighbour's door and ask them to pass the clothes back as they finish using them!  Or wait and see if I miscarry again.  I'm thinking more the latter after reading threads on here and the 85% likelihood of miscarrying.....

But anyway - just to add to the list of people who've confirmed that it's perfectly possible to conceive naturally at age 47!

Also - to all those people miscarrying: I was told repeatedly that it was a good sign because it showed I was fertile and eventually I would carry to term.  My lovely five year old is the proof of that theory. .
I just joined this Forum and I have to say I am so happy I have found it!!!! ALL You woman give me sooo much Hope!!! I am 43 and my husband 44 and I have been trying to conceive for going on 4 years now!!!! We Really wanted to do it naturally but after no success we turned to a fertility specialist had lots of testing done everything came back great except my progesterone levels were very low so he put me on clomid~Did the clomid thing for 5 months no success : ( now our next move is injectibles and IUI which we will begin in February....PLEASE Everyone send your BABY DUST this way and of course Lots of Prayers for us!!! Thank You And GOD Bless You ALL <3
Hi, Im 45 and had a m/c at 11 weeks on 6th September 2011.  I am now 2 weeks late for my period and have had negative pregnancy tests.  Worried as to why my period does no arrive.  Have some ignorant people telling me it might be change of life which I have no symtoms (symptoms) of.  I would just love another baby, my hubby and I have been married since 18 May 2011 and I have a beautiful daughter aged 20.
Any answers or suggestions will be appreciated.

Tracey (TTC) xx

Tracey (TTC) xx
I know the post I am am reading is older but I am 43 and was 14 weeks pregnant.  Found out our son had trisomay 18 and then I began to bleed and cramp.  I really want another baby but I am so afraid to even try.  I just wondered if you ever had another child affter termination and were you not so afraid of the same result?
Hi! I am new to the group, and feel so blessed to have discovered this blog...

I am 43 and TTC. In August I had surgery to remove endometriosis and was told to try for a few months naturally, as all my hormone levels were  good. We have tried everything!!! Diet, Chinese herbs, no alcohol, diary, wheat....less caffeine, sugar...prenatals, coq10..... No pregnancy yet. We have enough money saved to start IVF, and my bloodworm from my last cycle showed a hug jump in my FSH from a 9 to a 16.9 and my AMH is very low as well. I am devastated and we were curtly told we must use donor eggs.
We are getting second opinions this month and any advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea how my numbers changed so much in a few months. The stress of this, as well as finding out my father has cancer has about sent me over the edge. My husband, 53, is my rock and believes somehow we will beat the odds.

Thank you for all the positive and encouraging stories....they re quite hard to find!

Hi, I had the opposite happen to me.  I was pregnant at 37 with my 1st child, I lost my very much longed for son at 29wks, he was perfect but my placenta failed.. 8mths later I was pregnant with my daughter and at 11wks a problem was found,Drs suspected Down's syndrome. I wanted to die, I couldn't believe life could be so cruel, I was grieving for both my babies and it was incredibly hard. Let me tell all of you ladies, if you're worried about your baby having DS then let me reassure you. My daughter is now nearly 4 and she has Down's, she also has a fantastic life. my son would have been 5 on the 9th march and I believe she was a gift from him. I'm 42 and trying for another baby.. I'm very lucky to have my little girl, and I'm well aware of the risks, I also find it scary but for me it's a risk I'm willing to try or I'll regret it  
Hello
I think you should keep the little blessing.  I had my only child at 36 and it was a shock to find out he had DS when he was born.  His father and I split at the same time.  I have been waiting 6 years to have another one b/c my life did not work out and I just got remarried.   I am now almost 43 and trying to have another child that I so desperately want.  I had a miscarraige (miscarriage) in November and having one now.  I will keep trying.....but just so you know I love my child more than I thought possible ....he has taught me way more than I will ever teach him. Xoxo
Hi im 43 n have a new partner n i want to have another bby b4 i'm not able too  i Just Had my ParGard removed monday n my Ob/Gyn said to be careful because i could get pregnant right away
Hi, I'm 42 and have a boy 6 years old, if I didn't have it on my mine from my young days to have 2 childs at least, I wouldn't in this discourage situation now; when I met my 2nd husband (actually) he saids he also want a second child (he have a girl 12 years old) now he refuse to have sex the days I most fertile, or maybe just my bad luck he not "available" on these days, I very discourage with him and this situation, I cry every single month my menses appear, he not comfort me nor give me courage, I make one month on Clomid and dont know if I should make another month, I feel so bad about it; I have bad self esteem problems, he (my husband) pay his friends more mine than what he gave to me.........
I am now 44 y/o.  I had decided by age 30 that I was done having children.  I had three wonderful boys & a great husband and got my tubes tied.  Biggest regret of my life.  Needless to say, my marriage ended and after 6 yrs of being divorced, I found a beautiful man to be my husband.  Although, there is a 20 yrs younger than me, we have decided that we want a child.  So here I was thinking that my chances of ever giving my husband the ultimate gift was gone, it truly is not.  There is hope for us at any age GOD willing.  Hopefully within the next year or so, we will be able to accomplish this task.  I so look forward to being pregnant again.  Thank you ladies you all are truly an inspiration in a time of need.
I am so glad I found this community....I am 44 and pg with my 3rd, due in January 2013.  I have a 26 yr old & 17 yr old sons, a 3 yr old grandaughter and a 2 yr old grandson.  I re-married 3 yrs ago and we have had 2 mc's in the past 2 years getting pg naturally.  This time we used a fertility treatment and got pg during the 3rd week.  I feel so grateful and blessed to have come across this community.  Good luck and best wishes to everyone and don't give up....I don't believe all of the experts out there who say that we (women over 40) have only a 10% down to 3% chance of getting pregnant.  If it is meant to be, it will happen even if we have to "push" mother nature along.
Hi, I'm 43 yrs old and 12 weeks pregnant with my 7th child. my children ages are 24,21,19,18,and 14yr twins. I am not worried about my baby because of my age. God doesn't make mistakes or gives us more than we can bare! Best wishes to all who are over 40 and pregnant!
Hello all, firstly what an amazing forum, all of you women are brave and courageous.  I have 3 beautiful children, and like many of you, remarried and was wanting another child with my husband whom did not have any children.  Last year we conceived and sadly lost on Mothers Day, needless to say it was a sad and painful.  I was 42.  I tried DHEA, and damn near lost my head on that, it was not for me, hormonal train wreck, not to mention the side effects it had on my throat!!!

Anyhow now being 43 and a birthday weeks away, my husband is 46, we truly had not been thinking  about trying again.  I conceived naturally and I am 5 weeks pregnant, with all the symptoms to go with it.  I am scared, but trying to be positive.  I guess I just wanted to share my story with you and encourage you all, I am not sure what the future holds, taken the pregnancy one day at a time, one week at a time and with the grace of god will have a healthy child in March.

All the best....and be good to yourselves first.
i am in the same situation.  can you tell me what fertility treatment you received.  thanks
i am in the same situation as you.  can you tell me what fertility treatment you received.  thanks
Hi Emma,
i know its been years since this post.  But how did your pregnancy go?  Im 43 and my husband is 50 and would like to try to have a child.  Getting tested.  Any answer would be appreciated, Carm
My I ask you, Do you get an ultrasound to confirm that there is no heartbeat? I have heart stories where there was a heartbeat, next visit no heartbeat then sent to hospital to find a heartbeat. This just really makes me wonder
congrats,but me i am 43 yrs old and we closed it to dreaming for having a baby,i am desperate b4 to have a baby but i felt so depressed evrrytime  i saw preggy in the street or to our party gatherings,freinds having pregnant, we prayed a lot and we do evrything to spent money to go IVF but the doctor said only egg donnor is our second choice but we finalized to dreaming on and  to accept it and feeling hopeless and worthless,we cried a lot but we pray a lot to cope of this situation,,,I have so many questions to God but what can i do,he is a controller of our life,,,,but now i am suffering of depression but i need to fight for this, thats why i am here reading all testimonial regarding about 40+ preggy.congratulation again and takecare
Not sure if too much time has passed since you posted this. I am now 44 and seriously considering downer eggs.I've had two IUIs. I was made a window in my mid 30s but married again at age 42. I am just afraid of my thinking and if I will always be thinking, this is not my biological child or will I just start thinking automatically the baby is mine. I have no children and am so desperate for one.
Can I ask, how they determine the risk factors?  Is there a certain test they do while you're pregnant or do they test the parents before?

I am considering chlomid-I am 44 and got pregnant first try when I was 41 on it, but we never did any kind of testing.  I am just curious because my doctor said there were DNA tests they could do to determine the risk of chromosonal defect.
I read your post and I myself just miscarried a week ago. I was 12 weeks and I just turned 44 want to try again so I would love to have your email address on this journey.
I am 42, and like you, I had been told by at least 4 doctors that only donor eggs. It could not accept that, as I had still had my periods and notice fertile mucus every month on my period. Just when I thought I would give up, one night I was surfing the web and found one very good doctor in Guadalajara Mexico, who works with women of our age, but his protocol is ONE GOOD EGG. I made arrangements to met with him to discuss treatment. This December 2012, I traveled to Guadalajara where he retrieved one healthy egg. I produced 2 eggs with minimal medication, but only one egg retrieved due to my left ovary, was hard to reach. I am so sorry it has not happen to you, but don't give up.  Please check his site nhfc.mx
ah! The doctor said, the oldest women he had help to conceive with her own eggs was 47. He works with your age and your own eggs.
Im. Just 44 i have had four c sections and just found out im pregnant three week with new partner im so scared any one got any advice x
I had a baby by emergency c section at 25 he was autistic .
I had another child at thirty by c- section at 30
No problems.
Then a girl at thirty four c-section no problems but after six weeks of birth i had a ruptured wall like a large hernia so had to have it resown six months later wich was awful experience.
Then i got caught at 38 had fourth c-section no problems no hassle straight forward . Since then ive been active and healthy other than heartburn . Now im in a new relationship and have got caught at 44 and scared to death id just started the gym two months ago and was getting fit now im scared to death what to do my boyfriends over the moon im scared for my other kids they need a healthy mom to take care of them x
No problems.
No problems.
It is great to read all the comments. I just turned 43 this last June, and got married to my second husband a year and a half ago. He is now talking about wanting a child. I have a 20 year old and a 18 year old already. He has never had his own, and has been raising mine with me for 9 years. I am at a crossroads!!! Not sure what the right thing is... My girls are so busy with their own lives it feels a little"empty nested" and I am not doing well with this feeling.. I am healthy and fit.. Any thoughts or similar circumstances out there?
I am turning 44 tomorrow and I have been trying for a year to get pregnant..no luck!  I have three healthy children...ages 21,19 and 15.  I lost a child in 2007 due to complications with Strep B.  I was 20 weeks pregnant.  My husband and I would love to have another child!  Reading these comments from everyone gives me hope.  I am just going to keep trying naturally.  My doctor told me 2007 that I was getting older and if I wanted another child to not wait too long.  I, for some reason, did not realize what she meant until now!  ;0(  However, I was really scared to try again due to the baby's death (she lived six hours).  I am now not trying as hard but just letting my luck play out.  I have regular periods...every 28 days...like clock work.  Wish us luck!
Hi MelzieWelzie,

I'm not sure if you still follow this message board, but I'm very interested to know how things turned out for you. I'm 43 now, and desperately trying for #3. I've had 8 miscarriages, so i'm more than just a little scared. I have two amazing and perfect daughters, so I believe it's possible to have one more. However, I've had 6 miscarriages since my youngest daughter was born. I'm wondering if there's any hope for me.

Thank you,
Cindi
I did take Clomid at 42. While more follicles did mature, my uterine lining thinned due to Clomid, so I wasn't able to use the cycle.

Hi, I'm 44 years old, 45 in August.  Already have one child who is now 18 years old.  Remarried a few years ago at age 40 but have only just been ttc since November 2013.  No luck so far, ovulate naturally every month, regular 28 day cycle, had hsg test, everything was fine.  Doctor recommending a cycle of clomid, wondering whether it is worth it or just keep on trying naturally.
I turned 43 a few weeks ago. I remarried last year, he has no children and really wants one, so we started trying right away. I'm now going through my 3rd miscarriage in a year! First last July, baby stopped growing at 9 weeks, second in Nov., baby stopped growing at 6.5 weeks, this one is a blighted ovum, just discovered at 7 weeks. .....  I feel devastated and don't know whether to keep trying or not. I have no trouble getting pregnant, but I don't know if there's really hope. I wonder how many times I can go through this. Is there any hope or will I just keep miscarrying????
i m Jennifer Rick,i want to share my testimony to all the people in this website about the great work of Prophet Azuba,for over 3years after my marriage me and my husband where looking for a baby before i meet great Prophet Azuba  who helped me to cast a spell of pregnancy for me to get pregnant and now i am having my 1year baby today,if you need that kind of help kindly contact him via email:***@****
the only advice i can give to you is for you to contact Prophet azuba is an herbalist doctor and he can help you out via email:***@****
I tried DHEA for many months, don't remember exactly how many, I was 42 and it did not work for me. I am almost 45 and we have been TTC for 5 years. We tried 4 IVF's, 1 IUI (years ago 2 cycles of clomid with 1st husband).  The longest I have been pregnant is 12 wks.  Have had many MC's by  or 7 wks.  Thanks for the positive posts everyone (though mine may be, it is not yet, lol!) Hoping for better luck this cycle.