Pregnancy 18-24 Community
10 weeks pregnant and cant quit smoking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

10 weeks pregnant and cant quit smoking

Please I need someone with previous experience with the same case or a health professional. I know that smoking is the worst thing to do even if not pregnant but the fact that I used to smoke 1 packets a day and I knew that I am pregnant 2 weeks ago:( and trying to reduce smoking but a gain.. I reduced to 14 cigs a day... Dont tell me quit now.. I am trying my best but I read that smoking during the first 4 months dont harm the baby at all.. is this true???? Please can someone answer me
no thats not true, smoking can affect the baby all the way throughout the pregnancy... moms who smoke in the first trimester increase the risk of heart defect at birth... this is statistically speaking it doesnt mean your baby is doomed and i think your are definitly going in the right direction for sure! i used to smoke and understand how much it ***** to quit... but if you continue to cut back and say a goal of 4 a day or a number you feel confortable with, but keep working at it.. it will be better in the end for both of you... and that was just an example of what can happen with in the first trimester... smoking has like 4000+ chemicals and they all go to you and baby :(
cut back and quit. it's the best thing you can do for your baby -- and yourself.
We al know smoking is bad in general. So there for it is obviously bad for a baby. I was a 30 a day smoker when I found out I was pregnant. I gave up within a week. I just made one smoke last longer eg: smoked half then smoked the other half another time. and limited my smokes to 10 a day. It worked for me with no extra help of patches or pills.

Did you know that if you are a smoker and pregnant it ages your placenta and umbilical cord? So when you are in the later stage of your pregnancy your umbilical cord could calcify and not be able to provide enough nutrients or oxygen to your baby. One more thing, when you smoke and deliver your baby, your placenta is black in colour and smells like nicotine?
I didnt quit smoking until I was 21 weeks. The doctor told me to cut.down and quit when I was ready. You should do the same. Yeah its not great for the baby but its hard to.quit pregnant or not
Definitlynstart cutting back and working on quitting asap. I know it is hard, but it is so important for your baby. You risk pre-term delivery and/or a baby with a low birth weight on top of the other risks stated above. Ask your doctor if there is some kind of quitting support group or something in your area you can attend. Start by setting a plan - decrease the amount you smoke bit by bit until you are no longer smoking. Lots of women (pg and not) have done this so you can too.
I smoked 20 a day when found out I was pregnant on my 1st. I did manage to cut down to 10 a day except for bad days when I was stressed and I did manage to give up at 8 months pregnant. Bit late but I done it and my baby was 7lb 6oz. And is mow a healthy 2 year old. I'm not saying it won't harm your baby but you should try cut right back at least. Doctors can also help. I no there are certAin things they can do. They wouldn't let me use nicotine patches they said it would be to strong for the baby as the give nicotine slowly to you body so you constantly have it in your body. I had the chewing gums. They were horrible so I used an alternative instead and had a lolly pop everytime I wanted a fag  just sou had something to do. Good luck hope you can give it up.
I smoked thru all three of my pregnancys.  First let me stress quitting is best for you and your baby.  Delivery will be much easier on BOTH of you for one.  If you catch anything, cold etc, it is going to be harder on you during the pregnancy to get rid of, especially possible chest congestion due to the extra burden on your lungs.  Having stated that I know it is not easy to quit otherwise nobody would smoke after a while!  What you MUST do if you cannot quit is to put yourself on a STRICT diet of no more than 6 per day.  Do not suppliment with gum or other nicotine.  I know this is going to be an unpopular answer but it is an honest one.  Try and SAVE your rations as a reward.  Also, become a closet smoker because the harassment you get will just make you smoke more.    Buy a favorite hard candy and (NO CHEWING ALLOWED) only smoke after you have eaten 2-3 or these.  I used the coffee flavored ones.  Cut back on your caffine which makes you smoke more in case no one told you.   You are going to gain more weight than other mom's because you will be munching to cut back on the smoking.  Your doctor will probably nag you about the weight gain.  Remind them about your efforts to stop smoking but they prob will STILL nag you about both.  Good luck, keep trying but remember NEVER go over 6 a day.  I bought expensive chocolates and would savor one slowly.  Mark out the times you are allowed those 6.  Breakfast, etc.  Try NOT to include times when you will be in a vehicle because then everytime you are in one you will want to smoke.  Also, don't carry more than 2-3.  Try dry smoking, deep breathing, inhaling as if you have a cig pretending you have one when you get stressed or have cravings.   GOOD LUCK.  
Im 14 weeks preg and have cut down from 10 a day to 3 a day so im very happy i know it hard but easier to cut down than just quit i quit totally with all my other children by 20 wks and plan to again 3 a day is nothing though so im stoked i heard something the other day that living in a city is as bad as smoking 20 a day so im doing ok as i dont live near city area goodluck to u xx