Pregnancy 18-24 Community
12 weeks and no Heartbeat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

12 weeks and no Heartbeat

According to my last lmp (and the doc) I am 11 weeks and 6 days. Today he could not hear a heartbeat. I could tell by the look on his face that he had concerns but he told me not to worry and he wants to see me next week to listen again. Needless to say I am worried out of my mind. I am also having some slight back aches. I read that could be a sign of miscarriage this early in a pregnancy. I am not having a bleeding or cramps, this gives me a little hope. The doc says it possible that the calculations are wrong and I may not be as far along. If he can't hear a heartbeat next week he will do an ultrasound.

Does anyone have any encouraging words? PLEASE.  I really can't wait another week. Should I go to the ER and request and ultrasound?  
Did you have Hcg levels drawn???  That would be a better indicator (if you are in fact earlier than you think) of a viable pregnancy...If not, I would definately ask your Doc......Good luck!
Did he just listen with a doppler?  My SIL went for her first check today and she is 12 weeks. After trying and trying to get a heartbeat they finally did a u/s. She has a tilted uterus and it was making it so they couldn't pick it up on doppler. Good luck!!
have you had an ultrasound done and SEEN the heartbeat? a lot of times the heartbeat cant be picked up on the doppler until around 13 weeks, so dont give up hope!
If you SEE a heartbeat your fine. Sometimes it takes til week 12-13 to hear the heartbeat reliably, esp. since it's so hard to pick up on it that early since the baby is TINY.
Definitely don't lose hope.  I went in for my first visit thinking I was 10 1/2 weeks.  They did the doppler on my belly and couldn't pick up a heartbeat.  They went ahead and did an ultrasound.  I was terrified because I had a previous miscarriage.  There was no heartbeat and I only dated 5 weeks 5 days.  They said it was just too early to see a heartbeat and they would repeat the ultrasound next week.  That was a terrifying week of waiting!  Even though they said things looked normal and tried to reassure me, I was at wits end.  Anyway all turned out fine so far and now I'm 22 weeks!  Best wishes to you...hang in there! (Oh and by the way, don't panic if they can't find the heartbeat with the doppler for a while.  I was about 12 or 13 weeks before they could find it through my belly.)
Oh- Also, I have heard that some back pain is normal as long as it's nothing really bad and you're not bleeding, etc.
i had same prob at that stage..but i think part of my prob is because im so overweight and they have a hard time having it go through all that weight.well each checkup when they couldnt hear,they sent me for an ultrasound immediately to make sure.im wondering why that wasnt suggested for you.all depends on where baby was positioned.sometimes they hide and that could have been a reason you didnt hear it.back pain comes with the territory sometimes.but for me,i worried because i had a lil spotting at 10 weeks.luckily that stopped a day later and nothing came of that.now that im 28 weeks,hearbeat comes through so much easier.came the second the put the doppler on me.hope everything works out for you!
he should have done some blood work..im sorry your going through this you will probably see a heartbeat on ultrasound at 12 weeks your almost in your 2nd trimester which is a good sign ...good luck keep us updated
It may just be a little too early to be able to hear the heartbeat at this time. I think my docs office waits until 14 weeks before they use the doppler. Try not to stress yet. Go back in next week and request your doc do an ultrasound then so you can see the heartbeat since you cant hear it yet. There is still lots of hope. Good luck to you Keep us posted.
Yesterday I had my first prenatal, and discovered I was pregnant with twins. I was 11 weeks 6 days pregnant, however they didn't find or see heartbeats on either baby. I have not spotted or bled this whole pregnancy. I've only had mild cramping, and everything has felt fine. I was told that I had a missed miscarrage (miscarriage). Tell them to do a vaginal ultrasound, they can see it - and hear it with that.