Pregnancy 18-24 Community
14 Week Ultrasound - Could It a Boy or Girl? Can They Even Tell?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Hi, everyone. I had an ultrsound around 14 weeks (they thought I was 13 weeks, but they decided the baby was too big to be 13 weeks) and, at the time, my ultrasound tech heppened to tell us she thought we were having a boy. My husband and I were very excited, as I already have a girl and this would be our last baby.

Well, I just came from an appt with my OB/GYN (who I did not see at the time of the ultrasound), and I told him what the tech said and he bruskly said that's impossible to tell at that age, and that it could just be the umbilical cord, etc. My poor husband is disappointed, but I still feel inclined to believe the ultrasound tech, because she said she had done high-risk ultrasounds for 10 years.

Of course, we'll find out more definitively in a month at our next ultrasound, but I was wondering what you all thought of these two photos st 14 weeks. The tech even typed on them references to a penis:

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz164/mamaou/13-14wks-Pee-pee2.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz164/mamaou/13-14wks-Pee-pee.jpg

Thanks for your input!
It is still very early to be able to tell but my us tech told me at 12 weeks that she thought I was having a girl because she didn't see a penis at all. She told me not to paint the nursery but her strong guess is that its a girl. IT WAS! I have a few friends that found out they were having girls at 12 weeks too. Good luck and I hope you tech was right!
Oh and I found out it was a girl for sure at 16 weeks..thats only a couple weeks off from your 14 week us
I have a friend who is 2 weeks ahead of me.  When I was 12 weeks and she was 14 weeks she was told she was having a girl.  I was so jealous she was able to find out because I had to wait for my 20 week anatomy scan.  When she went back in at 20 weeks they told her it's a boy.  I don't think the penis is big enough to see in most cases when they are that little.  Also, there is a women here on medhelp that is due around the same time as me they told her boy and she found out girl at her anatomy scan.  I found out boy at 20 weeks, and since I hear all these stories I ask for confirmation every single time I have an ultrasound "is it still a boy?"  lol.  I think it's best to wait to get excited until baby is big enough to know for sure.  I know it's hard time went by so slow while I waited to find out the gender !!!
With my first daughter, I got an ultrasound at 14 weeks and the doctor told me he was pretty sure it was a girl- and it was! So yeah, your ultrasound tech has probably been doing this for a while so there is a possibility she could be right.  My doctor was right and I was for sure only 14 weeks so it may be a boy!
Yes it is possible to tell and from the pictures I would also guess a boy.  I wouldn't be set on it, but I am pretty sure.  You can see the cord as well, so what the arrow is pointing to is not the cord.

Your doctor is wrong, flat wrong.  Is he even certified to be an OB?  Maybe he should stick to things he knows.
i think it looks like a boy to me?...i think it may be harder to mistake a girl for boy but not a boy for girl.....
take a look at this:

http://www.baby2see.com/medical/ultrasound.html
I think if you can mistake a girl for a boy then you should not get too excited yet.. I was told both my girls were boys.. i didn't find out my first was a girl til i was 36 weeks! i had two blue baby showers! they said my Second girl was a boy at about my 14 week ultrasound.. but it was the same doctor who said my first girl was a boy so maybe he was just a dink lol! I hope its a boy for you and being that it was a tech who has been doing this for a long time i think you can rest comfortabley with that! Just don't do what i did and Wash and put away all the clothes lol.. my poor Daughter wore blue sleepers and baseball onsies til she was almost a year!
On this pregnancy I was told at 15 weeks I was having a boy. At my anatomy ultrasound they told me it is definitely a girl. However on my first at 16 weeks  I was told a boy and it was. I would just wait until your 20 week scan before getting your hopes up.
Thanks so much ladies, for all of your comments. You are very kind to share your experiences and opinions.

My doctor that I saw today never even saw any of the ultrasound images, he just stated that it's impossible to tell so early. So, I've just been trying to reassure my husband that it's likely to be a boy. I really kind of feel like it is, after the way my technician was so matter-of-fact about the whole thing.  We didn't even expect to find out at that early ultrasound.  I think she just saw the "penis" as she was looking around and checking things out and she asked, "Do you want to know what sex the baby is?"  So, of course, we said yes immediately.  And she said it was a boy.  

Ah, the many joys and frustrations of pregnancy...
Its too early to tell the gender of your baby accurately at this gestation.
mistakes are always possible and they have happened but It sounds like your tech was pretty darn sure since SHE asked YOu if you wanted to know the sex and she said it so matter-of-factly. If she wasnt sure, I dont think she would have offered to tell you:)
Babys have only start to develop genitalia at 11 weeks so at 14 weeks things still are not fully developed. Most accurate time to check for gender is between 18-20 weeks. I got an ultrasound at 14 weeks and was told they were 80% positive I was having a boy I even have a picture of it where everyone was like "that looks like a boy" (I am also high risk so their machines are super advanced). I was so excited since I already have a 2 year old girl and want nothing more than a little baby boy. Well... went to my 18 week ultrasound and it turns out that he is actually a she. I am so glad I didn't buy anything blue.
I think that he looks like a boy!  I think if it were a girl you wouldn't see an appendage lol.  I had several u/s with my second child and they told me around 14 weeks that she was a girl and continued to confirm it afterward.  I hope you get your little boy :)
i had an ultrasound done at 12 weeks and there is an appendage on all babies of that gestation. my daughter (born 5 days ago) looked like she had something in between her legs and it kinda freaked me out. but we found out she was a girl several weeks later. i dont think its time to get excited yet...i would prepare yourself for either sex. the baby is just too small and underdeveloped to tell.
I just had an ultrasound today at 14 weeks and it was very clear that I am having a boy. The ultrasound tech is 100% positive and it's very obvious.