Pregnancy 18-24 Community
20 week scan

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

20 week scan

After having our 20 week scan, I was called back for another scan with a consultant. The scan picked up brightness of the bowl along with an enlarged kidney and slighlty enlarged water canal in brain. The consultant said normally they would advise a test for downs consisting of a needle going into the fluid surrounding the baby and take a sample. The problem is I also have fibroids that may obstruct this increasing my risk of miscarriage. I have been told that there is a possibility of cystic fibrosis so had blood taken yesterday for that. We now have to wait one week for this. I have no clue what to think or what to do? Help

This discussion is related to distented bowl in fetus.
Tags: 20 weeks
Hey, sounds alot like my story. We did amnio and it came back with trisomy21. Now if you plan on keeping the baby no matter what i say dnt take the risks... Good luck :-)
I had a simular situation (with baby number 5). They wanted to do an amnio...I said no, because it didn't matter to me. I loved the baby already and was not going to terminate, so I decided not to take the added risk (I have a history of miscarriages). My dr would not continue to see me as a patient unless I had the amnio done. So, halfway through my pregnancy I had to go find a new dr. I had new US done every 3 weeks to watch the progress and by the last one (38 weeks) there was still some lighter areas however not as much as before. So, my new dr told me there was still the chance and to make sure I understood what was going to happen and how hard it was going to make life...9 days later...A HEALTHY BABY BOY came early. :)

If you know that it doesn't matter to you and that you love this baby no matter what. If you know terminating is not an option, I would suggest not to have an amnio done. The risk is high and if you are already high risk, it would increse the risk.
If you find out the baby does have Downs, are you going to love the baby any less? Will you terminate? Adoption?

These questions you have to sit down with your 'Hubby' and truly answer. No judgement.

Good Luck...this is a hard decision...Keep us posted.
I have a similar situation...My 18 wk ultrasound showed a cyst on babys brain. (choroid plexus cyst) I have had the blood done and awaiting the results and another U/S on Monday to see if its gone or not. There is a remote association with CPC and also Downs. I will love this baby no matter what.
I pray for you and your baby.
Does Cystic Fibrosis run in your family?
Please keep us updated.
Best of luck