Pregnancy 18-24 Community
38 + 3 weeks pregnant and having sharp stabbing pain in my vagina..is t...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

38 + 3 weeks pregnant and having sharp stabbing pain in my vagina..is this normal?

I am 38 weeks and 3 days pregnant and i have been having these sharp stabbing poking pains in my vagina..i dont know what it could be from..they literally stop me in my tracks until the pain passes..each stab or poke is only about 15-30 seconds but they hurt so obad and have woke me up from sleep..any ideas what this could be?
Yes it's normal :-). It's called cervical lightening....does it feel like baby is going to fall out sometimes when you stand up?

Basically baby is engaging and his? her? head is putting pressure on nerves in your vagina, causing these feelings that are like twinges or "zaps" if I'm understanding you correctly.

The good news is, with baby's head mashing these nerves - you're most likely dilating from the pressure!
Sounds like your going into labor!
sometimes it does feel like the baby is coming out but why would i get these pains while laying down? its really more than a "zap"..if i am walking when this happens i will bend over from the pain and if i am sitting down the i just freeze because it hurts so bad
Most likely when you're lying down and it happens, it's because baby is moving his/her head against your cervix. :-)

By "zap" I mean a sharp pain that starts in one area and travels like a stabbing pain down into your vagina - can be very very painful. Does that sound right?
The babys head is causing pressure by coming down the birthing canal. You're so far along, that its really not uncommon for you to be going into labor. I would seriously call your obgyn. It sounds like your having contractions.
yeah the zap sounds right..they dont really feel like contractions so i dont think i am in labor..so ready for this little girl to come out so i can have my body back!
I have also been getting those wonderfully uncomfortable pains. I assumed it was bean's head pressing and rubbing against my cervix causing that pain/pressure. Which, like Ashelen said, is a good thing! May not FEEL like it, but it is definitely helping to dilate and/or efface your cervix and baby is starting to drop more. Won't be long now!
Im 37 weeks and have also been getting these pains downthere. It hurts so bad i make a noise in pain and if my hubby is right there i grab him because it hurts so bad. Im already dialated to 3cm and 50% effaced..... im soooooooo hoping i will go into labor soon. Tho i would like to say i know for sure if you have this going on it doesnt mean your in labor at all, I have been feeling these pains for about 2 weeks now and im still here with my LO waiting to come out.......sigh.
I have this pain when ever i go for walks im 38w5d i been walking a lot lately trying to make him come down since at my doctor appt on the 16 he still has some coming down to do
Hi guys I am 38+3 days and I had sex and after having it,it was like I was in a lot of pain from the back and in the bottom of my belly bt the following day the pain stopped. I am so desperate to hold my baby in my arms. How can I speed up the process. And sometimes I have the period like pains bt don't get too hard bt my left and right sides they r painful. Pls help guys. Name is lynne
I'm 39+4 and have been having that sharp pain for over a month now. I was told its my cervix opening.
Wat if your only like 4 or 5 weeks and is having this sharp shocking pains in your vaginal
Im 32 weeks and have been having these stabs of pain for a while. Doc said the same as the other ladies have, hes pressing on my nerves.
I'm 38 weeks and 1day and been having weired pains and it feels like his gunna fall out but the pain arnt regular and don't seem to be getting stronger can anyone tell me what this means ?
Im 36 weeks 1 day and ive been having these sharp pain non stop for two days now... these post maybe old but I would like to see what other people think other than my sister who says im dropping and my baby gone be 8 lbs cause my stomach so huge lol... please help me I have birthed two children and this pregnancy I can say is the worse because I witnessed I was pregnant from week three