Pregnancy 18-24 Community
4 1/2 weeks pregnant, high HCG levels, empty sac... please help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

I got an u/s 2 days ago at 4 weeks and it showed a black dot, which the doc believed was the sac. My HCG level was 1400. Today I went in for another one to be sure the pregnancy was progressing, and the "sac" was much bigger, but she couldn't see anything inside. My HCG level was 3600, she said with my level that high she should be able to see something in the sac. She says I should be prepared to lose the pregnancy, but I've heard that 4 weeks is early to see something in there. Can anyone give me any advice, or any insight into what is going on? Has anyone been misdiagnosed with a miscarriage or blighted ovum? This is my first pregnancy and I am devestated at the thought of losing it. Thanks..
Well she should've waited longer to even have you come in for a sonogram. You had one 2 days ago and again today? You should wait until you're at least 7-8 weeks and then get a sonogram. It is possible that it is too early to see anything. Good luck!
(((HUGS))) I am so sorry you are going through this! I had the exact same thing happen to me at 6weeks. HCG levels rising perfectly, but I had some cramping and slight spotting and when I had an u/s done (also on 2 seperate occasions) All they could see was a gestational sac with NOTHING inside. At just before 7 weeks we saw my little one Yolk sac, fetal pole, heart beat and all! I am not 15weeks 2days pg!
IMO 4 weeks is WAY too early to have an u/s. It just causes more stress when we don't see anything. Hang in there momma! and keep us updated!
Are they running any more blood work to watch your #'s? Have they talked about when they will do the next u/s?
By the way, the fact that your #'s have more than doubled in 48-72 hours, and the sac has grown is a good sign!
4 weeks is too early!   I had u/s at 6.5 and 7.5 weeks (no fetal pole) and they measured my hcg levels (wasn't doubling.  It went from 13000 to 17000) to determine my pregnancy wasn't going anywhere.   At 8.5 weeks I had a D&C done which was (Sept. 9).  I had a feeling the pregnancy wasn't going anywhere because I was losing my pregnancy symptoms.  It just felt something was wrong.  Currently trying to recover from this emotionally and move on.  This was my first pregnancy, so you can also imagine the impact it has on me about pregnancy.  Will try again next year.
Just an update..I went in a week after my last post and got another ultrasound which showed a yolk sac! The doctor said it seems like the pregnancy is progressing normally but would like to see me in another week to see if there is any more development. I will be 6 weeks, 2 days then.. I pray that everything is well!!! and I heard that maybe I would be able to see a heartbeat? (will I?) I'm so nervous! I will update after my appointment..

hope4lilbaby- *hugs* I can imagine how devastating this is for you and I am so sorry for your loss.
Hello, another update- Just got back from my appointment. I had an ultrasound ( I am now 6 weeks, 2 days ) and they say a tiny fetus! With a heartbeat and everything!! I am so happy right now, you guys have no idea. I was worried because I am still spotting and cramping on and off. This is not at all what I would have expected when I started this post. Thank you all for your advice and encouragement. =)

x
awesome!!! I was supposed to be 7 1/2 weeks I had 1600 hcg then it rose to 1700 in 48 hrs but it turned out to be a blighted ovum. I'm SO HAPPY that everything worked for you! I wonder twins??
I'm new to the whole mommy and posting thing so please bare with me. I went to the doctor yesterday (4/11/11) b/c I took a HPT and it came out positive. 6 times. The doctor did two ultrasounds. A regular one on my stomach (not sure what it's called) and a the vaginal one. He said that my hcg level was at 1700 but nothing was seen on either ultrasound. I'm panicking b/c of all the sites I've looked at and the fact that I'm only about 4 weeks along. Can someone please give me some kind of advice?