Pregnancy 18-24 Community
6 positive hpt' and then a negative blood test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Ok heres the deal, I did a hpt 6 days ago and got a faint positive. I did another one the next day and got a little bit darker of a positive. 2 days later I got another darker positive, so I made a doctors appointment. I took a urine test at the doctors and it was a faint positive. Then I got a blood test done and it came back that night as negative. Right after I got the news I did another hpt at night, and a totally different brand, and it came back positive almost immediately. So the next morning I took 2 hpt's both different brands, and both were positive, one even simply said "Pregnant". Can someone please tell me how this can happen? I have taken 7 urine tests and all of them are positive. I have another appointment next week to get another blood test. I am just under 5 weeks pregnant, and they only did a qualitative blood test. Is it just too early to get a positive on a blood test?
too ealry? nooo, in fact Blood  Test is considered quantitative and is confirmatory.  however, with 7 +ve HPTs... its weird

The probability of false positive is low (considering 7 tests and none said -ve), but the probability of false negative for blood test could be higher.

Good luck for your test next week. (If I were you, since i am dying to get pregnant), I wouldnt wait until next week, to get another blood test done :-)

hi,
it sounds weired but it happens.. One of my frnd experienced the same thing.. she had pain in her abdominal, missed period but negative urine test and blood test.. so her obgyn did ultrasound and she was pregnant.. and i don't think it's too early to get positive.. in my case i did urine test on my 28th day(my cycle is 28 days and i am very impatient b'coz we'd been trying to conceive for more than last one year ) and it was faint positive.. then after two days, i visited my internal medicine doc, she did blood test and it was positive and that time i was only 4 weeks.. then after one week i visited obgyn..now i m 10 weeks.. so I wish u best luck and don't worry (i know it's difficult) , everything is going to be alright.. Keep us updated..
Hi, and yes that can happen. Some clinics blood test actually dont detect as early as some urine HPTs. This info came directly from my doctor. They only consider it positive on blood if it is above 25 and urine HPT can pick up at 12. So it just depends on what type they do and what they consider pregnant. I know its easier said than done, but I would not stress until you go back next week for your next blood test. Good luck
Well I just heard from my doctor and she said my hcg level was at 14, which is why it came back negative because they were testing at 25. Then she said I should expect my period in a few days, but I just don't understand that. She doesn't even know if my levels are rising for falling. I will keep doing the urine tests until I go back for the next blood test. My levels should be much higher by then. Thanks for the responses!
I have done several home pregnancy tests and they all came back positive, then went to the doctors on the same day I got a positive and did a blood test.  I've just heard from them that it came back negative.  Now I don't know what to think.  I have all the signs of pregnancy but negative blood test.  The doctor told me to come back in a week but how can I wait that long?  I'm spending ridiculous amounts of money on home pregnancy tests.
Post a new thread, this is an oldie. Your sure to get a response if you do.
it is possible to have a negative blood test!!! tell them to do a beta test!