Pregnancy 18-24 Community
7 months pregnant, what is this discharge?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

i am 7 months pregnant and keep have a white discharge, the consistancy of raw egg white. I have had pains across my stomach, down my left leg and around my vagina. The discharge doesnt itch or anything, i only no its there when i go to the toilet and even then it doesnt happen everytime. only every few days, usually twice in that day. I bath daily, it doesnt itch or have an odour. is there anything i need to be worried about? Many thanks
It's completely normal :) google leukorrea.
Is it my imagination or do I have a lot more vaginal discharge now?
It's not your imagination. It's quite common to have more vaginal discharge during pregnancy.

Of all the things that women worry about or expect during pregnancy, vaginal discharge, or leukorrhea, may not be one of them. Yet excessive vaginal discharge is quite common and quite a shock to women who have never heard of it.

What you're noticing is probably normal leukorrhea (NOT LEUCORRHOEA) — the odorless or mild-smelling milky discharge that you occasionally noticed in your underwear before you were pregnant. There's just a lot more of it now, partly because of increased estrogen production and greater blood flow to the vaginal area. This discharge is made up of secretions from the cervix and vagina, old cells from the walls of the vagina, and normal bacterial flora from the vagina.

You'll probably notice more vaginal discharge as you approach labor, although it's likely to look somewhat different from the flow you've become accustomed to. In very early pregnancy, cervical secretions filled your cervical canal and created a protective barrier — the so-called mucus plug.

As your cervix begins to efface (thin out) and dilate, it may expel this mucus, and you'll notice discharge that looks like egg white or mucus from a runny nose on a cold day. You may even expel the plug in one gelatinous glob. This discharge might be tinged with a bit of blood.

When should I call my caregiver?
If there's a lot of thin, clear discharge, it can be hard for you tell if it's just mucus or if you're leaking amniotic fluid. If you have any doubt, contact your midwife or doctor.

Call your practitioner right away if you're not yet at 37 weeks and you notice an increase in discharge or a change in the type of discharge (if it becomes watery, mucus-like, or bloody — even if it's just tinged with pink or brownish old blood). This can be a sign of preterm labor.

You should also call your caregiver if you suspect that you have an infection. If you have an odorless, whitish discharge that's causing you discomfort such as itching or burning — or your vulva looks inflamed — you might have a yeast infection.

If your discharge is foul-smelling or frothy or yellow, green, or gray, you might have a different kind of vaginal infection or a sexually transmitted infection, even if you don't have symptoms of irritation, itching, or burning.

In either case, don't try to treat yourself with over-the-counter medications. It's important to first see your practitioner for a diagnosis to make sure you get appropriate treatment.

Is there anything I can do about all this discharge?
There's nothing you can do to stop the flow, but you can use panty liners to absorb it if you need to. (Don't use tampons during pregnancy.)

To keep your genital area healthy, keep it clean, always wipe from front to back, and wear cotton underwear. Avoid tight pants, nylons, bubble bath, scented pads or toilet paper, feminine hygiene sprays, and scented or deodorant soaps.

And don't douche — douching can upset the normal balance of vaginal flora and increase your risk of a vaginal infection. What's more, doctors and midwives discourage douching during pregnancy because in rare cases it can introduce air into your circulatory system through the vagina, which can cause serious complications.

Hope this helps you too!  :)
thankyou. I was just a little worried as with my 1st pregnancy my plancenta died and my baby starved in my womb from 24 weeks. I was only 18 and the hospital never listened to me. I had discharge, very similar to this one. It was 38 weeks before they decided to do something and i was induced but my baby's heart stopped when i was in labour so i was rushed into theatre for a c section. The hospital said my baby was a miracle baby, he was in Special Baby Care Unit for nearly two weeks, and was only 30cm long from head to toe.
But if many others have it, and looking on this site they seem to, i am not going to panic.
Thankyou
Ha that actually answered my questions as well, I usually have a white discharge even without being pregnant. But now there's a lot more, especially when I sneeze, which is about fifty times a day lol
I am 7 months pregnant and my breasts are leaking a white discharge is this normal??????
That white discharge from your breasts is just colostrum, i'll be 7 months in 3 days and I get it too
Its probably colostrum.. my breasts leak the same thing. Its normal.