Pregnancy 18-24 Community
7 weeks pregnant and cervix feels slightly open

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Hi!  I'm 7 wks pregnant and my cervix feels very soft and slightly open.  I have had one child (almost a year ago) but I've read that the cervix is supposed to feel closed during early pregnancy.  Also, after I ovulated my cervix felt very firm and completely closed.  Has anyone else experienced a slightly open cervix in early pregnancy and gone on to have a successful pregnany?  Or does this open cervix mean my body is preparing to miscarry?  Thanks for your help in advance!
Actually at this point you should be fooling around down there! LOL .its pretty risky as you dont want to rupture anything...do you have any other reason to believe you might misscarry..if so you need to see your doc...now that you know your pregnant your dont want to be touching your cervix..thats for the docs to do!! Also you can already be open a lil from a previous baby!! I have learned that its called a lip i think! Good lkuck and stop picking down there!! lol
I agree with  Rosa20 - do NOT conduct self exams, this can actually lead to problems (infection etc)!

Unless you have severed cramping and have started bleeding there is no reason to think you might be having a MC.
The other two ladies are (as always!! :) ) correct. You need to see your doctor to inquire about the possibility of an incompetent cervix (where the cervix opens up or softens prematurely, without a miscarriage), though. It's early enough that if that were the case they would be able to do a simple stitching procedure and most likely you would not encounter the problem again.
im going threw this to can u let me know how urs went idk if im pregnant i lost a baby the very end of feb. i was 8 weeks ... but we have had sex and idk if im prego again but i for some reason checked it out my self and its really soft and a lil open but not very much
normal! if you've had a baby before a lot of the times it wont be completely closed...mine is partially open due to an abortion (they manually dilate you)...i discovered this after a self exam also.