Pregnancy 18-24 Community
7 weeks pregnant and spotting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

7 weeks pregnant and spotting

Hi All
I am just over 7 weeks pregnant (going off my LMP which was 12.1.09) and have been having period like pain for the last few weeks. Yesterday I started having slight stabbing pains, that last for a few seconds each time.
This morning I noticed a little brown spotting.
I am due for an ultrasound in two days time.
I cant help worrying that something is wrong as I had a missed miscarriage last year which started with spotting (admittedly it was bright red blood to start off with) and carried on for a few weeks until the scan revealed that the baby had stopped developing at 6 weeks (I should have been 9 weeks when I had the scan).
Has anyone else experienced light brown spotting at 7 weeks with slight stabbing pains?
I know it is too late to be implantation bleeding.

The period like cramping is normal as long as it isn't insanely painful and the brown blood usually indicates old blood. A lot of women experience spotting in early pregnancy and everything works out fine. I would be more worried if you were having red spotting or maybe even pink but the brown I wouldn't worry about too much. I hope you get great news at your ultrasound!!
I know the worry you are going through.  I spotted/bled for a couple of months during this pregnancy...usually around the time AF would have been due.  It can be totally normal for some people.  Last time I was preg I didn't even know for a couple of months because I really thought I got my period!  The only way to know is by your dr.s appt and I wish you the best.  
I had some spotting when I was in my first trimester and the doctor said its just old blood comming out.  unless it's super red and alot with unbearable pain I guess its normal.  just watch for it and make sure you dont bleed alot and red
Yes, I was spotting around that time and occasionally would also have stabbing pains that would go away soon. Everything turned out fine, but everyone is different. Talk to your doctor about your concerns. Call the office and ask them if they think you should get checked sooner. Good luck!
Thanks for the comments guys. Just thought I would give you an update.I went and had an ultrasound yesterday, which only measured 5 weeks with no sign of heartbeat (obviously too early to see a heartbeat at 5 weeks anyway). So given that I should be 7 weeks, that was the first bad sign.
I also had another blood test to check my HCG levels. They came back at 795. Being 75 two weeks ago this is also not good news even if i have my dates wrong.
I have also started cramping badly (like bad period pain) and am now bleeding red blood - as much as a light period.
I am going to have another blood test in two days time to check the levels, however I would say it will be bad news.
I have decided to let things happen naturally this time. The last time I had a D&C I think my body went into shock and it took three months for my cycle to return.
I just cant believe how unfair life is sometimes. I dont know how many more times I can go through this.
Has anyone else experienced more than one miscarriage? Is it worth going to a specialist to check that things are in working order?
It is devastating.
I have had 6 mc's and 1 ectopic pregnancy. I have been to 3 different specialists who have put me through over 35 blood tests, xrays, exploratory procedures all to tell me that they can not find anything wrong with me.I am 8 wks and 5 days pg now ( the longest I have ever been preggers) still praying and hoping for the best. Stay positive and just pray that you and your baby will be healthy.I wish everyone the best.