Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Advil or Tylenol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Advil or Tylenol

I started going to one doctor who told me DO NOT TAKE TYLENOL while i was pregnant, take advil. Well I switched doctors soon after and she said dont take advil, take tylenol. Im just not sure which one and why. Any info?
No advil while pregnant. Tylenol is safe while pregnant. I hate tylenol and I think it *****, but ill take it while pregnant.
I was told to only take reg strength tylenol by ob.
I was told only tylenol because it does not contain aspirin
I've always been told Tylenol.   Not quite sure but It's something about ibuprofen that's not good during pregnancy.   I stay away from all medicines during pregnancy.  If I feel like I REALLY need pain relief & usually fir a headachethen I'll take Tylenol but only after I've tried home remedies first, like tanking a nap, showering, relaxing in a dark room...
A midwife friend of mine said that ibuprofen is worse later in pregnancy than earlier. Perhaps that is why it seems you have received conflicting information?
I took tylenol with my first pregnancy..just wasnt positive. Thanks for all of your inputs. I guess I need to go get some tylenol!
I among with all of my friends and family have been told Tylenol
Tylenol...you can even take extra strength but only 2. You can't take ibuprofen or aspirin because they are blood thinners and should something happen during your pregnancy where you get hurt...the extra blood in your body combined with blood thinners is not a good combination! Could cause a lot of problems
That's exactly what unwashed gonna say about it thinning your blood. That's why only Tylenol!
Now, I wonder though, do you have any other issue that could cause tylenol to make it worse?
No Advil or anything with ibuprofen. Tylenol if necessary. My Dr says ibuprofen and Aspirin  can cause miscarriages and some birth defects.
Tylenol is safe but you have to take the regular one not the extra strength or anything like that
I'd personally double check with your Dr to.make sure you heard correctly. If you did then tell him what you've heard about taking anything but tylenol and ask if there's a reason you shouldn't take it. Drs can sometimes talk backwards if they're stressed or busy. He may have misspoken
My doc said only tylenol and that I could use extra strength 500mg two of those every four hrs
Ibuprofen, or any NSAIDS (aleve, etc) during 3rd trimester can cause the PDA (Patent Ductus Arteriosis) to close prematurely.
It's the vein that reroutes blood from the babies lungs during pregnany to it's heart. If it closes prematurely it can cause all sorts of problems.

Tylenol is ok. I've been seen 2x by some of the best doctors in SoCAL and thats what they said......

Also do some research online. .
Advil is bad for you and the baby during pregnancy! I have been told ONLY Tylenol for pain.
Advil/Ibuprofen is NOT recommended during pregnancy.  Tylenol has long been considered safe for pain relief during pregnancy.  Even the extra strength 500 mg is ok.  I have never heard of a doctor recommending advil over tylenol in pregnancy.  Every Ob I have had (I'm on pregnancy #9 and have seen quite a few) has said no ibuprofen only tylenol.

according to drugs.com:

Advil is FDA pregnancy category D meaning there is positive evidence of risk

Ibuprofen is Category C meaning risk cannot be ruled out

Tylenol is categry B meaning there is no evidence of risk