Pregnancy 18-24 Community
After week 6 why is the sac empty??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

After week 6 why is the sac empty??

I am 32 years old and 6 weeks pregnant. I had my first prenatal visit yesterday. I went at week 6 instead of week 8 because my last 2 pregnancies ended in miscarriage at 8 wks and 12 wks.  I have had 2 previous normal pregnancies ending in excellent healthy cecesarian births and I'm afraid I will have yet another miscarriage. Pregnancy was confirmed.  During the ultrasound the doctor found the sac but it was empty.  There was nothing else to see.  Shouldn't a baby's heart be seen? I am so nervous about this one because of the last two miscarriage.  The previous miscarriage that ended at 8 weeks was odd and I don't think I got enough information about it.  The positive pregnancy was very weak, the sac was empty and I think it was an ectopic pregnancy but the tubes were never checked.  I suspect a miscarriage in the tubes.  What is going on with an empty sac at 6 weeks?  I would like more kids. My first two kids were conceived on the first try.  My first miscarriage was after a year and a half of trying then it took another 6 months of trying before the second miscarriage.  I would like to know what is going on.
Did your doctor suggest coming back for another ultrasound in a week?  How about blood tests to check your pregnancy levels?  Sometimes, the heartbeat won't be seen until later in the 6th week to the 7th week.  
with all three of my pregnancies there was always an empty sac at 6 wks and then at 7 wks during my repeat u/s they were able to see the baby and heart beat and everything
Sometimes they don't see the heartbeat until 7 weeks or even later for some women. As far as being in the tubes, they saw the sac so that i presume means it wasn't in the tubes. Don't worry too much, just get another u/s in a week
Is it possible that you ovulated later than you thought you did...therefore you could not be as far along as you think you are?  What did the doctor say?  Was he concerned?  Did he speculate anything?  Hopefully you will have another u/s done soon and you'll get some reassurance...in the meantime try to relax and be stress free =)
I appreciate your responses.  I would still love to hear more.  Yes there's a sac but my doc had said with my previous miscarriage that pseudo sacs do occur.  I sure hope you all are right.  I went in at 6 weeks despite their policy being 8 weeks because I wanted to be able to relax a bit since this is my 6th pregnancy with only 2 children as the outcome.  I just don't want to go through the process of telling people of another miscarriage nor the intense physical pain of a miscarriage.   If I remember correctly with my first child they were so shocked to see such a strong heartbeat at 6 weeks.  I guess that's why I'm so surprised at nothing being in the sac.  So much for being able to relax on vacation next week!
WOW, you sound like ME!!!!
I have 2 kids, full term, sections.  Following that I had 2 "missed abortions" (terrable term), that resulted in D and C's.  I am currently 6 weeks pregnant, sac with yolk sac and no fetus.  The Dr. told me come back next week and it should be there, it is sometime a slow process.  This time, unlike the last 2 times, my progesterone was checked, and is low, at 11.  It should be above 50.  I am staring progesterone tonight.  I am also going for a blood test to see if my blood id clotting  and that will lead to hepperan if +.  I know, I often wonder if my sections were screwed up and now i have these problems.  Message me if you would like to.  We seem to really be in the same boat.  Good Luck!  I hope everything works out.
I know my exact date of LMP- March 26th.  And date of conception was April 5th (assuming the sperm lasted only one day I guess).  That's the info I have.  Oh... 2 weeks until my next appointment won't come soon enough!
You dr. should have you back in a week, 2 weeks is too long to stress, good luck and try to push it up a week
Honestly, I would wait and recheck at 8 weeks. If you had an ectopic pregnancy you wouldnt see a gestational sac in your uterus. I have gone through 2 ectopics and 2 miscarriages and 1 deceased child.

This latest pregnancy my 1st doc told me it was ectopic, even though there was a gestational sac in my uterus, she wanted me to have a D&C right away because no fetus was seen.

I refused the D&C and told her I wouldnt even think about getting it done unless there is no visible proof of a fetus. I knew my dates, hence why I was willing to wait.

Now I am 17 weeks pregnant and no medical issues at all.

Im glad I waited becaue I would have aborted a perfectly healthy pregnancy if I listened to my doctor.
you should have your doctor run your hcg levels.  they should still be doubling every24-72 hours to show a healthy pregnancy:)
I am calling the doc tomorrow and going in tomorrow, and again on Friday!!  I leave town on Monday and won't be able to see a doc that whole week.  I should probably do what I can to calm my nerves a bit.  Thanks for all the info and advice!  It has helped me sleep one more night  Thanks everyone!
what happened?
Hope all is well. I'm 25, very healthy, with a 15 month old son. I'm pregnant again and following a biopsy I had a brownish discharge, normal. It got heavy and I was alarmed so the doc did an u/s. He said I was 5 1/2 weeks and saw NOTHING but an empty sac. Said it was probably a miscarriage, but to come back in a week. I had another u/s and everything was there, heartbeat, yolk sac, everything that wasn't there before. The numbers were way off because I ovulated really late, so I was a week behind what they originally thought. I hope that that's the case with you! Good Luck!