Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Allergic to "cillins"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Allergic to "cillins"

Last night we took Elijah to the after hours clinic because he looked like he had chicken pox, we found out he's allergic to the "cillin" medications, he's been taking amoxicillin for an ear infection. Has anyone had a child with an allergic reaction to the "cillin" medications? How long does it take for it to start getting better, I have given him one dose of benadryl since it looked worse when he woke up, and as directed by the doctor I have to give it to him every six hours. It's 2 and 1/2 hours until his next dose and he looks worse than this morning. I can tell it bugs him because it's itchy, I'm just curious as to how long after I start giving him the benadryl that it will actually start looking better...
Aw poor baby. Well I have never had any kids but I just wanted to wish him a quick recovery!!
I have no idea but you could but calamine lotion on him for the itchies. My little boy uses it all the time because of his exzema (eczema) and it makes the itchies better almost instantly. Poor guy!
Well my oldest had a reaction. It was bad. It lasted about 3 days.the bumps did.
Thanks ladies, I really do hope it clears up soon...did any of your kids get worse before they got better? Elijah looks worse than he did this morning....I don't know if it's because they gave him a shot last night that's a distant cousin of penicillin or what. My dad said since I'm no longer giving him the amoxicillin it should get better not worse, and the dr said if it gets worse to bring him back, so I'm waiting to see how he does after his next dose of Benadryl...
I would definitely do what you are doing... Sometimes it takes a little longer to get into their systems especially when they have had a bad allergic reaction... It took Richie a few days to recover from his allergic thing with his exzema (eczema) but the calamine lotion really helped. I would say if he is not better by tonight then first thing tomorrow take him to the doctor's and see if they can give you something prescription lotion for the skin problem... Oatmeal baths work well too!
Thanks Nickie, I'm going to get some oatmeal stuff tonight to see if that helps any.
I agree with nickie's suggestions
i dont have a child yet (due dates on friday :) ) but i can tell you that im deathly allergic to the "cillin" family and we found out when i was 9...i have a different reaction though...my throat swells up and closes off..my mom rushed me into the doctors as soon as i said my throat was feeling funny and i passed out by the time we got there. they gave me a shot of benedryl and it helped to open my throat again..i also got a rash but it went away with the first couple of doses and i remember being good as new by the next day. I am still very much allergic to it though...im not so sure you can outgrow a "cillin" allergy. they gave me a shot of penicillin for tonsillitis when we found my allergy...but i cant have any of those "cillin" medicines. I would say if its getting worse and not better to definitely bring him back in!
btw...when i got the shot of penicillin my allergic reaction didnt happen until the middle of the afternoon ...the next day. they say sometimes it can take up to a week for a reaction to happen...i thought that was weird! ill definitely be a nervous wreck the first time my son needs it!
I didn't read all the responses but I too am allergic to Penicillin (sp?? ie all cillin medications).  I also have 2 children that are.  When one of them was about 4 months old, she was prescribed Amoxacillin for an ear infection.  We, of course, did not know she was allergic yet.  A few days later, she broke out in a rash that covered her entire body.  She actually ended up having to take a steroid to get rid of it.  It was that bad.  Yours may have to do the same if the Benadryl isn't helping.

Just remember for any parent that is allergic.....Just because you are, does not mean your child will be.  Only 2 out of my 6 children are allergic that I know of.  The others can take it just fine.  But I am always nervous myself when giving it for the first time.
my mom said my brother was allergic to it..... i think it goes away soon..... did you try hydrocortisone to help with his iches>