Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Am I having a miscarriage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Am I having a miscarriage?

Hi, I was wondering if someone could please help me out with something.  I am approximately 8 weeks pregnant.  I had an ultrasound done on Monday of this week and it showed that I was only 5 1/2 weeks pregnant and they were NOT able to find a heartbeat!  My doc and I are 100% sure of my dates (I am VERY regular and have been monitoring my periods and my sex life in hopes of becoming pregnant)  On Tuesday of this week I started to bleed VERY lightly this bright red blood.  I didn't have any cramping or any pain so I thought nothing of it.  However the bleeding has continued everyday this week.  While the bleeding is still fairly light (although it has continued to be bright red) and I am only having a very few SMALL clots, I am having SEVERE lower back pain with intermittent cramping that at times has been painful to the point where I feel like I might pass out.  This morning when I got up the bleeding had turned to a dark brownish colour with these specks of something in it.  My breast are still VERY sore and tender but I have no other pregnancy symptoms.

What I was wondering is am I having a miscarriage or is all of this normal?  Could someone please give me an idea of what is going on?

Thank you!
You could have ovulated later or implantation could have been later which can explain the date mix up, but do you have any more ultrasounds coming up? What did your doctor do about this problem? If you are still bleeding I would call your doc and let them know, so any tests that may need to be done can be done.

Sometimes it is normal to have some bleeding in pregnancy and have it be totally harmless, but any bleeding at all should be reported and looked into.
I have another blood test coming up on Monday and then I am going back to the doctor on Wednesday for an ultrasound.  The doctor said that he doesn't know at this point whether or not it will be a viable pregnancy.  He doesn't sound too hopeful but he has not said 100% one way or the other.
Someone, anyone please help . . . give me some idea as to what is going on!!!

Thanks!!!
It can go either way. If you are not as far along as you should be, then nothing would be seen yet, and you could just have a small bleed which sometimes happens.

But on the other hand, it could be a blighted ovum, where you are pregnant but the baby did not form, so they wouldn't be able to find a heartbeat. This happened to me in June. I was 14 weeks pregnant when I found out, but I didn't have any bleeding until days later.
Keep a very close eye on the bleeding. If you see any tissue or excessive amounts of clotting, go to the ER immediately. Also if the pain does get that bad then also go to the ER.
Where pads, don't use tampons, you can get an infection that way. Try to stay off your feet and relax and don't lift anything more than 3lbs. Wednesday you should have more answers, but I am kind of perplexed that they are waiting that long to do another ultrasound.

Unfourtnetly the symptoms you are describing sound like a miscarriage. Backache, cramps, pain and bleeding.  If it gets very bad, where the threshold of pain goes beyond a 6 to you go to the ER immediately.

I will keep you in my prayers and your baby.
Thank you SO much for taking the time to talk to me!  I really appreciate it!  I have been going out of my mind and I feel like I can't take much more of this.  

I am so very sorry for your loss.  I can't not imagine the pain that a miscarriage must cause, although I do fear that I am about to find out.

If you don't mind me asking, when you say if I see any tissue, what exactly is that going to look like?  Am I going to know that it is tissue?

Thank you again so much for all of your help and kind words.  It means a great deal to me at this very stressful time!
Pink solid pieces. I have had 3 mc, and sometimes you will see small or very large pieces of tissue. You will know it if you see it, because you probably have never seen it before. If you pass anything large, try to save it in a tissue and go to the emergency room.

This is a very stressful time but if it is not a lot of blood there still may be hope. Also if the blood is bright red, its new blood, go to the ER.

Miscarriage is always hard, but sometimes things were just not perfect for the baby. Its very common to have several or even one in your life, and doesn't mean something is wrong with you. I have no children and this is my 4th pregnancy and the only normal one, (so far) Each time it was just bad luck and they found nothing wrong. So just relax, and try to take it easy.
I hate to agree, but your symptoms do sound like a miscarriage. I went through the same thing. I was believed to be about 12 weeks but my empty sac measured 6mm. Til this day I still don't know what that means because they told me I had a blighted ovum which means the egg and sperm met but a fetus never formed or grew but you still have all the pregnancy hormones. So I never even knew if I was 6 or 12 weeks? But I started bleeding very lightly with NO pain..went in for tests, they said I was fine. The next day went in for a u/s and no baby or heartbeat could be found. The next day I started bleeding more...had some cramps and I passed 3 clots. I never really saw any tissue but than again I was bleeding so much anything could have been in there. And than immediately after the pain went away as well as all my pregnancy symptoms-it's the worst feeling in the world. I stopped bleeding about 4 days later and now I'm fine. I also experienced major back pain too. It just sucks because one day they tell you you're fine, the next you're not. Thats usually the way it happens...but you just have to tell yourself that when you miscarry it's because something is abnormal with the fetus and it's really to protect you and the baby..it's for the best, even though it hurts more than anything. I really do wish you luck and pray for you. But just to make sure keep going back to get your HCG levels tested, if their going down it's not good, but if they go up there's still hope. Than in the meantime they will give you an u/s to check on the baby. Keep us updated!
If you continue to pass clots, please go to the ER......at times I've heard that they can stop miscarriages (depending on the circumstances)......I just went to a 9 week U/S and they found twins with no heartbeats.....I have not started to miscarry yet, even though I know it's going to happen, as I had Hcg levels drawn on Wed. and again today and the levels dropped by 2,000.....Either way you need to do what you feel is right for you and your baby.......I know that for the past 2 days (waiting for Hcg results) it's been terrible not knowing......If you are totally stressing you might be better off going in (even though it's  a pain in the neck) to set your mind at ease....I wish you the absolute best of luck......Keep us all posted please.....
am so sorry.....but those are all the symptoms of a treaten miscarriage.....goood luck to you
be very careful they are also the start of symptoms of an ectopic ... the pain from an ectopic doesnt have to be in a side mine did start in my lower back ...  and moved to the front i really hope this is a viable pregnancy for your sake ... best of luck oxoxox
I definitely think you should go to the dr. or ER immediately, if you haven't already.  I miscarried (only about 5 weeks) on 12/3.  I began to spot brown blood and I went to the dr.  The dr. sent me to get lab work done and told me to bed rest for the week.  As the day progressed, it went from brown blood to fresh red blood.  My lower back cramped really bad and I was in pain.  I also passed some clots and I think some tissue.  This is my second miscarriage...I never had a cycle between my last miscarriage and a pregnancy.  The dr. told me i definitely need to wait this time ttc because my lining was probably not built up/thick enough for a good implantation.

I got the blood results from the dr. and I did indeed miscarry.  My hcg levels have already dropped to normal, to the point the dr. questioned whether or not i really was ever pregnant or if it was hormone fluctuation from my last period.  I did have 3 faint positive tests...wierd..
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let all of you kow who took the time to talk to me that yes I am indeed having a miscarriage!  It looks like I will probably have to have a D&C because my body is not doing what it is suppose to very well.

I just wanted to thank all of you for your advice as well as your thoughts and prayers.  

For everyone else who is having any kind of trouble I will keep my fingers crossed for you as well as keep you in my thoughts!

Thanks again!!!