Hi sweetie, Im no doctor but I found this very intersting hope it helps.
Can You Overdose on Amoxicillin?
Amoxicillin (Amoxil®, Moxatag™) is a prescription antibiotic. It is possible to take too much of it. The specific effects of an amoxicillin overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the amoxicillin dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of an Amoxicillin Overdose
A mild amoxicillin overdose probably will not cause any significant or lasting problems. However, a large overdose could affect the kidneys, possibly causing poor kidney function or even kidney failure. It is also reasonable to expect that an overdose would cause any of the usual amoxicillin side effects, but perhaps more severely. For instance, it is possible that nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea would occur.
Treatment for an Amoxicillin Overdose
The treatment for an amoxicillin overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment also involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options may include:
* Fluids through an intravenous line (IV), if necessary
* Diuretic medications to prevent kidney damage
* Other treatments based on the complications that occur.
Dialysis can be useful for removing amoxicillin from the bloodstream.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on amoxicillin.
Personally if it was one dosage too much I dont hink you need to worry. Just look out for any symptoms but really Idont think it's anything to worry about. Im sure doctors figure that a patient may make a mistake and take one or two too many dosages as people sometime misinterpret the instructions :) no worries but if you are really concerned phone the dr .:)
I would definately call the doctor or your pharmacist. Either one would be able to tell you what you would need to do.
One way we avoid something like this happening in our household is to only have one parent who administers medication. Right now my oldest is on antibiotics as well, and I am the only one who gives it to her. I also am marking on the calandar each dose and the time given. Hope this helps!
I agree that it SHOULD be fine...Some doctors actually prescribe the first dose to be doubled to get the antibiotics into the system and start the process strong; I've had that sort of instruction before: For the first dose, take 2 pills, for every other dose take 1 pill every 8 hours or something....but call the pharmacist if you're concerned. Hope little Elijah feels better soon!!!
Reading your post makes me kinda thankful that DH has never taken the initiative to give the kids their meds when necessary...he'll just tell me to do it lol. If i'm not gonna be home I have to remind a gazillion times, then text while i'm out and ask my oldest to remind him.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.