Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Announcing Your Pregnancy on Facebook

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Announcing Your Pregnancy on Facebook

Hi Ladies,

I was wondering how everyone feels about announcing your pregnancy on facebook/twitter? I'm 15 weeks and into my 2nd Trimester. I don't really feel like there are any issues with telling folks at this point. My hang up is that facebook seems like a weird venue for a pregnancy announcement? Maybe I'm reading too much into it. My close family is bugging me to say something. It's kind of annoying. I have heard some people say it is tacky to say something on facebook but then for some it's just fun.

The second part of this question is if you did share it on facebook...what did you say or do?

I saw one status that I thought was cute and applicable to us because we have  a remodeling company...
"Adding on two feet to our house on ____Due Date_____"
Tags: Pregnancy
that's an adorable announcement idea...well that's how I told friends and family. I don't like using the phone and I wanted to make sure no one felt left out....so I just told them all at once. obviously parents and my husband's sibling got told personally but everyone else got told at the same time.

I announced it for new year's (which obviously isn't an option) by saying "Everyone have an extra drink for me tonight! I can't because we're having another baby!!" it wasn't uber-creative but everyone flipped and people that wouldn't otherwise have known (high school friends, etc) were in the loop and that was pretty cool.

if you don't want to though, by all means don't!
sorry, to clarify--- I used facebook. I don't use twitter :)
I've had a few friends that just posted pictures of their sonograms (which cause all of us girls to go completely gaga) and a few just said "Expecting # --- " One said guess who's preggers again! lol
I dont think its too soon. I announced it on fb by saying, "first comes love, then comes marriage....." I did it once all my family knew. Congrats!
I was trying to decide if I should or not, until friends started sending me congrats notes, lol. So when I made it past the first trimester, I posted my u/s pics.
I didnt have a facebook when i got pregnant, so i had to do it the old fashion way! but when I did end up getting a facebook, i was prolly like 4 months along. and all the way through my full 9 months like 7 times a day or more(cause i wasnt working) i posted something about my pregnancy, so everyone was always informed!!! actually the day i went into labor i had posted something saying i had horrible back pains and blah blah blah, and i had an entire list of comments from people telling me that I was in labor and to get to the hospital. and sure enough i was...

I dont think its tacky at all.. its a good idea!!!! just try and think of something unique to say... or just post a pic or something i dont know, im not that creative. lol
I just posted my ultrasound pics didn't do a formal I'm pregnant post on fb
I am addicted to facebook. With this pregnancy I just wrote in my status...is pregnant. But I did it on april fools day so half of everyone didn't believe it lol.
my friend just announced her on her FB once she got a confirmation! i dont see a problem with it she just put I have a new bundle on the way Pg with #2 and she had another one that said suprise surprise with her U/S pic cus she has been TTC for the last 4yrs!!
I just announced that we were expecting with my dd, with this baby once I hit the 3 month mark I plan to say Brielle is going to be a big sister. I kinda thought it nice to just get it out there but everyone will know that is forsure. I have seen people put really cute things, my gf the other day put, 1st came love, then came marriage now comes a baby in a baby carriage.I like what you said aboVe thats cute.

the one thing i did do was write a message to all my gfs that didnt yet know a day or 2 ahead of time just so they woudlnt feel like i told the facebook world before them. I told family and close friends in person or on the phone.
if you want to hear crazy, I live-blogged my entire labor from the minute the induction started at 545 AM to when the baby was born on FB...I actually did it on here too, but I limited who could read about it on FB because I have a lot of friends who aren't *that* close that they need to hear about my who-ha and what's going on with it LOL.
I don't think it is tacky to post on Facebook. I announced it after I told my family. I posted something like "The cat is out of the bag, there's a bun in the oven." LOL. Everyone thought it was cute.
I don't think it is tacky to post on facebook.  I live ina  different country to all my friends and family so it was the easiest way to post it.  When I was 13 weeks 5 days after my doctors scan I thought yep I will let all my friends know and then 2 days later at 14 weeks and 1 day I lost my little man.

I then had to go on facebook and write that we had lost our baby but not to leave any comments.  All my friends respected my decision and then after a month a few of my friends messaged me to say they were thinking of me.

I am now 10 weeks pregnant one cycle after my miscarriage and my hubby and I have decided not to tell our friends and family until we are 16 weeks.  We have told parents and sisters and a few close friends for support reasons if we go through the same thing but no one else.

I do not regret announcing my pregnancy because I had tons of support and I had friends message me that had also miscarried which gave me some strength as well.

I guess it is all up to the individual.
Hi, I am nearly six weeks now.  Iam dreading telling my parents.  This is my third child and although I am 30 I seem to end up acting like a 15 year old when it comes to announcing serious things.  I think I will tell her this week and then tell my other children at around 9 weeks.  Then I may announce it on Facebook, it's a nice idea that people will know all at the same time x
My SIL told everyone on Facebook before she told her family. Thats how I found out. But she got PG out of Jealousy and for attention basically...
And she isnt very well liked so no one cared really.
But if YOU feel happy announcing it on FB, then why not. I dont have FB because of being under a protection act, so the police say I cant use it.
But if you wanna do it then do ahead. You know where you can write a little about yourself underneath your picture, you could write something there, or put __ Weeks to go.. and people will become curious and ask...
Its up to you, whatever you feel comfortable with and whatever makes you happy :)

x
Thank you ladies! It's fun to hear how everyone feels about announcing on social network sites. Lucey12, I love that announcement...so sweet. rccresswell, I had that fear that something would happen and I would have to back track. You are right about having support. Sorry for you loss and best of luck with this pregnancy! :)
As others said telling close family and friends personally first is best (over the phone or what not).  Then posting on social network sites is just fine.  What I did was get a belly shot and post that saying that our son will be a big brother.  Since it was my second pregnancy I didn't post anything  until I was showing (due to several other things I didn't want specific people to find out before other events happened).
I'm very old school, and I think that family and close friends should be told personally (phone if you can't do it in person) rather than on Facebook or by email.  For people that you're not really close to and your FB "friends" that you only really connect with on there, fine.  But I really do believe that family and close friends deserve a more personal approach.  

Announcing a pregnancy, especially a first pregnancy, shouldn't be a social media "thing", but that's just my humble opinion.
My close friends knew before i said anything on facebook anyway. i said at 13 weeks "hello second trimester!"
I told my close family and friends already. Mostly in person and some by phone that live far away. I'm still undecided. It's my first but I'm not really looking for a parade. It just feels like I'm leaving out something pretty major but not mentioning it. Ya know? It's pretty much the most important thing that has ever happened to me. How do you just not acknowledge that? Seems odd.
Well my facebook account is a little more personal, its mainly my family and friends. Most of them knew I was pregnant but some ppl out of town didnt. Now I did tell people at work which was a cool. This is what I shared.

All:

I have news to share
that is both cute and sweet
Come October 2010
we shall be hearing
the pitter patter
of little GIRL feet!

We are so Thankful that our little Peri is healthy we excitedly await her arrival.
I just did my official fb post a few days ago, and it was great to see everyone's congratulations wishes :)
this is my first pregnancy since I got facebook, so it was the first time i had to figure out if I wanted to post it or not. my husband and I decided to tell our close family and friends and then wait til the 2nd trimester to announce it on facebook and let extended family know! Everyone told us congratulations, but since this is our 4th baby several people did ask if we were done yet! DH jokingly told them we are going for 10 (not true) and we are'nt even half done and they quit asking if we were done!
I agree! i should have added that! If i was able to get PG i would tell family and close friends first THEN post Via FB!!
I don't see the big deal. People want to know you're pregnant. It is better to say, "Hey, we're pregnant folks!" then "We just had a baby" when they're born and have everyone feel out of the loop.

To announce your pregnancy to close family on FB is tacky. To announce to old friends, colleagues and everyone else? Not tacky at all. Have FUN with it. ;-)

When I'm pregnant I upload baby pics and put one of those lilypie tickers on my FB. Most of my updates are about my kids and if I was pregnant it'd probably be full of those types of updates, too.
I did it... I posted...

"More house changes. We are adding on two feet to our home in January."

I also added 'Baby Productions' to my Employers and my position is 'Incubator'.
It's fun to see everyones reactions. We have been married 8 years and everyone thought we would never have kids. We just took our time and did a lot of traveling. I'm so excited to start our family. Tacky or not...it's out.
would love to hear some of your friends reactions, thats pretty creative!
That's super cute, Spiket77!! I see nothing wrong with a FB announcement as long as your family and close friends already know!! It's fun! =D
After telling my family and close friends, I announced my pregnancy on facebook by putting in my status....You + Me = Three  
Awh bless. Do you feel more releaved now you have told people?
And as your friends and family know, nothing wrong with it really. Whereas my SIL, told facebook before us. And then when no one answered her, she sent a text to everyone but me... she even sent one to my mum. LOL.... I bet you had a super huge smile whilst writing it.

Awh... As long as youre happy shouldnt matter. :)

x
Thanks...we got a lot of responses that had to do with the pitter patter of those two feet. It has been very cute.