Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Anxiety and Pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Anxiety and Pregnancy

I also posted this on the Anxiety board, in hopes that I could get some good feedback.  I am 30 years old and I already have 2 children.  I would really like to have a 3rd child, but my anxiety is holding me back.  I didn't suffer from anxiety until after my 2nd daughter was born.  I have severe white coat hypertension and am absolutely terrified to go to the doctor.  This fear stems from a bad experience that I had where I was actually sent to the hospital by ambulance for a racing heart.  Everything turned out normal and I've been to the cardiologist 3 times - he keeps telling me that my problems are not cardiac related and my heart is normal and healthy.  But I can't get over it.  I constantly worry that pregnancy will cause me to have a heart attack.  I also worry that the doctors will end up taking the baby early because of my white coat hypertension, thinking that I have preeclampsia.  I would also have to have a 3rd c-section and I worry about panicking before the surgery to the point that they have to put me under genereal anesthesia.  I visited my OB/GYN today and had a nice long talk with him.  He thinks that I will be just fine and expects my anxiety to actually improve throughout the pregnancy.  My blood pressure at the visit today was 180/80, because I freaked out when the nurse took my blood pressure.  When I check my BP at home, it's always below 120/80.  I talked with my doctor about that as well and he really thinks that I will calm down when I'm pregnant.  He knows me pretty well - he's been my doctor for over 10 years and did both of my c-sections.  My recovery after the c-sections was very easy and fast.  I had gestational diabetes with both of my previous pregnancies, but it was well controlled and I did just fine.  But gestational diabetes is another concern, even though I know how to handle it.

My daughters are 5 and 3 years old.  I don't want to look back 10 years from now and regret not having another baby, but I need to somehow get over all of this worry.  I wasn't like this before - I took everything with a grain of salt and never worried about my health.  I never had any reason to!  I still don't have a reason to worry, but my past experiences have made me question my own mortality.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice, support or stories of women in a similar situation.  I really want another baby, but I worry so much that I'm afraid that I will hurt the baby or cause myself to have a heart attack!  Please help!
Actually your more likely to have a stroke with all this stressing!  Stress is one of the 3 main factors leading to stroke.  Your a very young woman I hope you can get your stress and anxiety under control.  If your doctor thinks it will be ok then you have to ask yourself what you can do to decrease your anxiety and don't forget you have done this twice before (almost a pro lol).  Good Luck and write a list of pro's and con's to talk with your doctor and your husband about.  
Thank you for your reply.  I actually don't stress out like this on a daily basis.  It's only when I have to go to the doctor!  And I'm not acutally "stressed out" about making this decision....I'm just trying to stand back and look at the situation rationally.  I have fears, just like any normal person does, but the only time those fears turn into physical reactions is when I'm in a doctors office!
Oh ok well actually that is normal! I know when i take blood pressures at work (I'm a Nurse) Most of my patients are like my blood pressure is never this high then they explain their anxiety during doctors visits.  I personally calmed down alot while i was pregnant( guessing it is the hormones.)  I think you'll do fine!  There are alot of breathing excercises and different things you could do to help calm the anxiety before your appointments.  Good Luck
my BP is sometimes a bit high and my dr. said he thinks I have "white coat syndrome"... or in other words.. anxiety from seeing a dr. So he had me lay down for 5 min and have my bp retaken.. it was normal,.