Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Anxiety in 3rd trimester???? Advice please

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

I have a question for everyone about hormones in the 3rd trimester. Did you start to have anxiety and hormonal issues again towards the end of pregnancy? I don't really remember having this issue last time, but I am so on edge latley. It reminds me of after I had my daughter where I thought she was going to go to sleep and never wake up. I was a wreck and it ended up being PPD and lasting for a few months.

It's making me feel unbalanced and knowing that it's hormones doesn't make me any less anxious. I have to check on the kids 5 times a night and I feel like I'm going to have a panic attact at any minute. After I had my daughter in August of 09 the OB told me that with my next pregnancy she was going to put me on some kind of medication to treat depression in my 3rd trimester because they think that's when PPD signs start. Well since she told me that they have determined that some birth defects might be caused by taking that medication in pregnancy. I'm sure you guys have seen the commericals from lawyers trying to get people to sue the drug companies over birth defects.

So aside from taking medication is there anything I can do? Any tricks or tips that you can offer me to help with this sudden onset of anxiety? The dr thinks we have 5 weeks left and I hope to make it 6 if not 7. I'm almost there, but the idea of feeling like this for the next 7 weeks is horrible. I can't even stand to put my daughter down for her nap I want to cry and check on her 20 times.
I didnt read all of the above posts, but I suffered from anxiety towards the end of my pregnancy. Although I have an anxiety disorder but throughout my pregnancy it didnt act up. I am sure your anxiety is caused by anticipating an early baby again and are scared of the nicu. I can only imagine how hard that would be. I have never been medicated for my anxiety, although they tried to medicate me... Hesers what I do when I get anxious

Deep breathing is a great way to help with the anxiety, In through you mouth and out your nose or vise versa they both work for me.

Reading a good book helps me because it keeps my mind busy

get a massage weather it is from your spouse, bf or anyone.... It really helps

I hope some of these things work for you and I hope the anxiety subsides..

God Bless and Hugz :)
I should say some of the anxiety I am having may be because we anticipate an early baby again and I'm nervous about being able to make it far enough to avoid the NICU.
have you tired maybe therapist.  I had similar issues when I was pregnant with my son. I got pregnant with him after being assualted in 2005 . I was so on edge towards the end of my pregnancy that I felt o was going to jump outta my skin. I was so worried about every little thing that I literally made myself sick.  so I told my ob and he actually sent me tp therapy and it really helped because I knew that atleast I wasn't going crazy. I continued therapy after I had him and that kept me feon needed medication. I hope that helps but I found having someone understand my fears and worries really helps
I know how you feel.... I suffer from occasional panick attacks and I know the hormones in pregnancy do not make it any easier.... There are a couple of things that I have learned that have helped me... I also think that Jtaylor's idea is a great one... it always helps to talk to someone.... I know these might seem silly but they work for me.... when I get the overwhelming panick or anxiety feeling I try to think of something that makes me happy - or I will distract myself.... watch one of my favorite movies... read a book... and anytime the panick starts to overwhelm me I try and remind myself that THIS WILL PASS - and i know at the time it doesnt seem like it but the good thing is that it really will pass..... I hope you start feeling better!
Thanks ladies. I think my biggest outlet for stress has been working out and now I'm on light duty where I can't go to the gym at all. I'm a little hesitant about therapy just because I did that when I was getting divorced and it didn't take any of the stress off. I just wasn't whining to my friends and family as much since I was paying someone I could whine to.

God Bless and Hugz :)
Im glad to hear that other people feel anxious in their thrist trimester. Prepregnancy I was taking anxiety medication and did not seem to have any really anxiety again until now. Im 31 weeks pregnant and I am on edge alot, especially if Im in a situation that would bring on anxiety prepregnancy. I cant wait to have the baby and stop breastfeeding so that I can feel normal again! Hope everything gets better for you!