Pregnancy 18-24 Community
BE HONEST!!!!!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

BE HONEST!!!!!!!!

ok so how many of you smoke? honestly!!!!!! while pregnant now, or while pregnant previously???and if so, aside from birthweight issues, have you been told that smoking can cause the placenta to not deatch and cause hemmoraging(sp?), or other things???

my ob has not mentioned anything aside from low birthweight, but the midwife i originally saw, gave me this loooooong run down of problems.....
i do not smoke, and would never consider smoking while pregnant.  however, my mother-in-law smoked thru all three of her sons (which includes my husband).  they had low birth weights, but that is the only problem that i am aware of in her situation...
I smoke 1/2 a cigarette every other day. I smoke American Spirit All Natural tobacco. It doesnt have any additives in it. It's not good by any means, but at least there's no tar or harsh chemicals. I've told all the doctors I've seen throughout this pregnancy (4 docs total! lol) and they all said "that's fine, just keep it under 10 per day"
ya i smoke winston ultra lights, and switched to them from marlboro lights....my dr said the same, that there are no additives, and that as long as i keep at or around a half pack i'm fine.....he was like "morally i have to tell you to quit, but the women i've had who smoke those(brand), have not had as big a problem with birth weight issues".....he said these, and the 1's you smoke are the best.....well, if you're going to smoke lol.....
i smoke aroudn half a pack too... i did quit about 2 months ago and somehow started up again=( im trying sooooo hard to quit, but this stress isnt helping! i smoked with my first and his birth weight was normal....
stress and chris' job having him gone 90% of the month, is what keeps my smoking lol....but i'm trying to quit, and i'll make it half the day, and then i'll go buy more! it's killing me lol.....but i'm hoping i can quit, get the smoke scent out of our place before he gets home again, and he's already said if i want to quit, he'll smoke out side, so it's just getting my own thing started lol....but i definitely am with you on trying to quit haha
I don't smoke... I have however craved the smell of cigarettes a few time.s
I smoked about a half a pack through out my pregnancy i never had any complications my daughter was a few days late and she weighed 10 lbs 3 oz no low birth weight and shes never had any medical problems except the normal things like colds and ear infections.
you and loismwallace are my hero's.....i believe she had a VB(or do i have her confused w/someone else?!) w/a 10 lb baby, and JEEEEEEEZ, i do NOT think i could handle that lol.....and you have made me feel ALOT better lol, cos i have been worried my smoking is what's causing the baby to be not as far along as i thought i was!!!
I used to smoke.  I smoked thru my first pregnancy and had problems....lack of fluid (oligohydramniosis), intrauterine growth restriction.  My daughter was born via emergency c-section becuase I had no fluid left and her heart rate was decel'ing.  She was 3 days past due date and weighed 4 lbs 15 oz.  She spent 4 days in the NICU.  The next time I got pregnant I was still smoking just not as much but I miscarried.  The 3rd time I got pregnant I quit cold turkey when I found out and I have smoked a single cigerette since...that was 6 1/2 years ago.  

I don't remember the doc telling mea nything about the placenta...just saying I should quit becuase of the birth weight issue and preterm labor.  I never had preterm labor, matter of fact I never WENT into labor that first time.  I can tell you now that I am super glad I quit becuase I have two little ones with asthma now.  I myself have allergies and asthma and its why they do as well.  Now my mom is fighting to quit after 30 something years.
i used to smoke but the day i saw that BFP i gave up it's the best thing i did , now i have hepas of energy and feel so better for my self plus i watched my mum die of lung cancer 2 yrs ago and didn't want to suffer like she did
OK. How many of you would give your  baby a cigarette . Apparently most of you.  You are just kidding yourself if you think this is ok. I would say do some research , this is your babies health your doing this to. I'm sorry if i offend anyone but this  is terrible.  
actually i've only been smoking a couple of years(actually approx 2).....and NO i wouldnt not give my child a ******* cigarette, however, once you've been smoking, and were smoking when you were already pregnant(knowing or not), NOT EVERYONE can quit on a dime!!!
and yes, obviously we know there is a health risk, but if you think about it, and G_d i hope i don't curse myself, but where i live, i think i have a better chance of being killed in a damned car accident than causing problems for my child by smoking.....and i have cut back IMMENSELY as i was smoking up to 2 PACKS A DAY!!!!!!
i even switched brands to a brand MY OB/GYN said was not as good as quitting, but better than what i WAS smoking.....i'm sorry i love the people who just assume since they don't do something, that you're 100% wrong in what you do.....idk, this is my 3rd pregnancy outside of marriage, and that is a sin, as well as premarital sex, so which should i be more concerned about? my sins or my child having asthma? (i know the answer to that).....then again, now that i think about it, i was drunk as a southern skunk on valentines day b/c chris was in kentucky, and i went out with friends that weekend, and i didnt know i was pregnant, and it had been like 6 months since i'd even SMELLED alcohol.....guess i've done some damage there as well.....oh and there's more, but he** i don't have that much time.....BUT i am proud to say that i STILL feel bad for the drunk night, as well as the fact that i've cut back and always wear my seatbelt, and TRY not to let my road rage overcome me, or go around slashing the tires of people who visit my neighbors and make me walk ALL THE WAY across my parking lot, which takes about 20 minutes, in the dark, with no lights.....but i DO  carry a knife, so jeez, i really do hope some stupid @ss little thug doesnt do anything!(that's not sarcasm, that's an actual fear i have since moving to houston!!!)
I use to smoke Kool menthol cigg. but when I was 6 weeks pregnant I quit.  I have frend and family that smoked throughout their pregnancy and have very healthy children. All of which were larger than normal. Quitting smoking was something I wanted to do for myself and pregnancy made it easy. I quit 100% menthol cold turkey... It really was not hard because no one else around me on a regular basis smokes but when my hubby began smokin Clove ciggs I got a few cravings.... I think smoking is a personal choice and I personally have not seen any major problems in babies that their moms smoked...
With all due respect, I agree with mommato4. Not to say I was an angel but I had smoked too until I landed in the hospital unable to breathe and they wanted to intubate me and they couldnt figure out what was wrong with me and kept calling it asthma but the albuterol they gave me didnt due very much. it wasnt until I signed myself out that they gave me steriods and that's what did it. This happened in my 7th month of pregnancy with what is now my 3 1/2 yr old. I didnt touch it again until a few months after he was born and quit again because I started to feel breathless again. I havent touched it since while pregnant. my last pregnancy before this one i didnt smoke either. and I'm not smoking now with this one. I smoked with my 7 yr old's pregnancy and he weighed 6lb 14oz and was full term. but now three of my kids have asthma. the 7yrs old has allergies and asthma, my 3 1/2 year old suffers from shortness of breath and if he cries too long or runs too much he throws up and they both take singular, quvar and albuteral because of me being selfish.  even if you smoke after they are born, they tend to get ear infections alot and also upper resp infections and asthma attacks. My 23month old has asthma too but that's because he was premature and he is on singular, quvar, and albuterol too. I regret smoking while pregnant those two times and feel like a real s**t bag for it. I was told that smoking just one cig while preggo makes the baby jumpy and shake from the nicotine for at least half an hour. and I was told that it affects their breathing through the cord for that very same half hour. it's like choking your own baby. had i known that when i was smoking i would have tried harder to get help and quit. if you wont do it for yourself, do it for them. Hey, that's just my opinion.
aaagh, sorry for my last post, but i'm getting hate email from my ex husband who out of the blue(we don't talk at all), has decided to send me messages about killing me, so i think i was already angry about that, and then read the response(s), and just went off.....so i do apologize....and no, i'm not concerned about the ex, he's bipolar and too far away to really do anything(not that he could standing in front of me), and between his current online wh*re, and the **** he does to my "stepson"(his child), i get really angry...
i ahve heard that it can cause low birth weight, but i never ahd a problem i had a 8 pounder and i smoked so i dont see a prob.
My mom smoked with all three of her kids and all three of us have some kind of respiratory problems.. the docs. attrribute it to her smoking. my brother has severe asthma and now my mom wishes she wouldn't have smoked.  And I grew up around secondhand smoke ( both parents smoked) and I must tell you I hated it. My friends would come over and the house would smell like smoke... ick!  I understand its hard to quit smoking ( i watched my mom try to quit time & time again)  but its honestly very harmful to your baby. It can't escape the side effects of the cigarettes... sorry I don't mean to sound like im preaching but growing up in a smoking household I feel I have first hand experience :- ]
i grew up around smokers, and didnt start till i was 23!!!
i have been smoking outside more, hoping that will help with quitting, and also to try and get the smell out! my BIL stayed with us, and he would smoke in the spare room(now baby's room), and it was horrible, and ya know it only took me 3 days with this "celan air" odor absorbing gel thingy to get the smell out, and i've been replacing it, and the smell is like 95% gone! so tomorrow i'm going to go buy ALOT of them lol, and just make sure i quit.....chris will be home monday, and i'm hoping to wean off by then....it may sound unrealistic, but i just have to push myself.....i've bought like 20 packs of gum today lol, and a couple of bags of hard candy! i have stress induced asthma, and my brother and sister developed allergies due to pets and smoke but they aren't really bad, so at moms we've smoked outside since 2002 or so? and at moms i smoke less, cos i dont wanna sit outside in the heat lol, so i think doing it here will help.....
Someone I knew smoked during her pregnancy just like a cigarette a night and now her child has lung problems and has a hard time breathing.
I think tobacco should be outlawed. :/
Then women [okay people in general] wouldn't be struggling with this problem that the addiction of nicotine has caused them. It's a disgusting habit, really..
I just read this. Found it interesting.
http://www.myyearbook.com/?mysession=bWFnX2FydGljbGVfcmVhZCZhaWQ9MTA4MDc=
I understand that most people here already know the effects of smoking, but it sometimes bothers me when those that do like to pass it off as totally harmless. I myself smoked on a regular basis, 3 years ago.. I never knew that something that SO many people did every single day of their lives could actually be so harmful and I got a taste of that first-hand.. I don't know why but it started to make me very ill. I still wanted to smoke though because I did, and it started where when I did, I would have soo much extra spit that I would have to spit, which made the gross habit even worse. It started that way but that didn't stop me. Before long it made my stomach hurt and eventually feel like it was doing flip-flops.. And twice it made me physically ill [puke]... That still, did not stop me, because I didn't feel THAT bad EVERY time, just usually.. So I kept trying to keep smoking [although I have NO idea why, I still wanted it] Well it got to the point where whenever I smoked even half a cigarette, I would just feel so gross, my stomach hurt, I wanted to puke, my head would spin, a couple times I just laid down and didn't even want to move a limb... I obviously had a really bad reaction to something [who knows what, one of the thousands of chemicals in the smoke, or the tobacco itself?] so it doesn't say that this happens to everyone, or many people at all, for that matter.. But if something is that powerful and actually BAD for you to have such an effect on my own body, I would HATE to see what it does to an innocent fetus. One that women try to protect by not eating any of the "bad foods" or using any of the "wrong products" or doing anything you're not supposed to do.. it is POISON. that's exactly what cigarette smoke is. I feel that way every single time my mother lights one up in her room, I have to leave or if I'm talking to her I try to steer clear as possible and cover my face.. I feel as if my air is being poisoned... and essentially it is.
I understand though, first hand, and by seeing those close to me, that quitting is NOT easy.. but smoking is really just... horrible. It's gross.. And especially while you're pregnant, you should stop. The health of your baby should be important enough for you to make an important health decision for yourself, and stick with it. But that's how I feel. And I realize I have a somewhat biased opinion on this... And ironically, I am thankful that I got so sick from it, or else I would probably still be struggling with those same issues today, knowing the risks. Just because it's so vicious.. Nicotine is more addictive than almost anything out there, such as heroin, and cocaine.. Which is really quite serious considering there are those people out there RUINING their lives over those substances.. There are millions more ruining their health over this one. And I find it sad. It's not 100% their fault.. But it's sad. :(
One last thing... sorry.
I realize that my last post wasn't exactly 'nice' and I don't want those that are currently struggling to think that I condemn them, I wanted to point out that a previous poster a week or two ago had said she had cut back and not yet quit, and I told her she should be proud! I don't feel as though I am better than ANY of you, and if you managed to cut back to a 'safer' amount, that alone is difficult to do when you've been smoking for a long time, so you should be proud of yourself, just please keep on trying! :)
I have never smoked EVER. the smell od ciggerettes make me sick. My hubby was a chain smoker and i was about three months along before i found out i was pregnant. During the three months we we're constantly together so i got alot of second hand smoke he would smoke in the house in the truck in small enclousures, most of the places had no air circulation so it just lingered. we moved back to my home and he wasn't aloud to smoke in the house or car with me in it. (before baby was born we got a new car) so i no longer was inhaling second hand smoke :D He was born a healthy 7 lbs 5 oz, he had pneumonia when he was born (fluid in his lungs) not sure if thats due to his smoking or not! he had no breathing problems when he was born. but shortly after he started to breath raspy and about age 3 and a half weeks he was put on an inhaler and he now needs it on occassion. not as much as when he first needed it! we've been told theres a pretty good chance he'll develop asthma. Me myself am not a smoker and never knowing what it's like to be addicted to nicotine i do understand that quiting isn't easy as alot of people think, but taking those small steps makes a great deal of a difference for both you and your baby. My hubby now smokes about a pack a day and he used to smoke up to 6 packs a day. good luck to those of you trying to quit :D Oh and if you're going to continue smoking smoke outside and where a jacket one that won't be kept around the baby. i make my hubby change clothes when he gets off work and i make him wash his face and brush his teeth. maybe a little drastic but hopefully it'll keep our son from getting asthma.
Shame on yall who are still smoking!!! You are carrying another life inside you and what right do you have to blight that childs life!!!
I feel i can say this as i was a smoker when i found out i was pregnant, but after finding out i sat and had a long hard think and i thaught about all the bad things that could happen to the baby if i carried on and to be brutally honest THAT was enuf to make me stop!! I just hope some of you have a re-think!!!
I dont smoke nor have i ever but...My mum smoked through her first four pregnacies, the first two (me and my brother) were fine full term big babies. My younger two sisters were born 3 and 5 weeks early but had a high weight and no lung problems or anything. My next sister was born after my mum hadnt smoked in like 6 years and she was also born 4 weeks early.

To all of those telling others to quit and those considering quiting be very careful. Ive heard that quiting, especially cold turkey, can be traumatic to the baby. Your body has learnt to function with this drug, hence it being an addiction. If you quit now you body may not be able to cope. While doctors will still say you should quit i think its best you do some of your own research aswell as speaking to a qualified doctor about what risks a sudden stop in nicotene could have and how you can get around that/ notice the symptoms of related problems.
cold turkey is not advisable, no.. But weaning yourself off is. Just because your body has become accustom to the nicotine does not mean it is any less harmful.

And just like there are people all around the world who smoke, and are not effected negatively [directly I mean] like getting sick, like I did... It does not effect everyone the same, nor will it effect every pregnancy or baby the same way.. It does not always cause low-birth weight but could have other harmful long-term effects that we are not aware of. And even if the baby is a good weight does not mean that it is neccessarily the most healthy.
i used to be a smoker. which is stupid when your trying to have a baby and also earn an income from singing. however... the day i found out i was pregnant, my husband and myself both quit and we have not had another since.... and dont intend too. its soooo hard to quit, trust me i know. i dont understand though how being pregnant cannot be enough of a reason?
too be honest its plain selfish to kid yourself into thinking its 'not' doing any harm to your unborn baby. congrats to those who are realistic and are at least cutting back however no amount is safe. birth weight/ lung defects etc aside... it shouldnt matter its the fact that essentially when you smoke so does your baby, when you drink so does your baby etc etc... no amount is excempt it all passes through the survival source that your baby relys on to be given the best start in his/ her future.
best of luck to all battling with this stupid addiction for a healthy and smoke free future. cigarettes should be banned. when you think about it - what purpose do they serve? id like to kick the idiot who invented and commercialised cigarettes!!!!! lol...
im sorry if anyones offended it just really is a pointless habit but i do understand how very hard it is to give up and wish you all the best.
like kstarr said do not try to quit cold turkey especially when pregnant.... it takes a real toll on your body... my suggestion would be to cut back and maybe eventually quit :o)
I smoked a bit during my pregnancy.  My son was 6lbs 5 oz.
i smoke weed but once i found out i was pregnant i quit and i have a perfectly healthy baby my best friend is 10 weeks preg and she still smokes newports i know im defintely not going to smoke weed as much as i use to maybe once in a blue when my baby is away from home
I had a friend, also.. [it's hard to account any other factors in these kinds of stories, that may possibly play a part] she smoked throughout her pregnancy, and her baby was premature and weighed only 6 lbs and something.. He seems to have respiratory problems, but when I asked about his breathing she simply told me "the dr. said it's normal" although it didn't seem like any normal breathing I had witnessed before in a one week old. He was really having trouble.. Anyway, he still makes sort of high pitched almost like a "surprised" gasping noise when he breathes somteimes, and often while he's eating. Like he's still having trouble. I'm not sure about that, but he's almost 2 months old now.. I still wonder if he's okay.. But I don't know. He just doesn't seem 100% healthy, to me.
When I was pregnant with my son, which was 2 1/2 years ago, I smoked a lot. Just under a pack a day. My doctor actually told me not to quit. I was under a lot of stress while pregnant and he feared if I did try to quit it would put too much stress on myself and the baby. Either way, my son was born completely normal and healthy, I was very healthy, and my son was born at 8lbs 14oz. So it all depends on the person.
I have cut down from 20-30 a day pre pregnancy to 3 or 4 a day now. My midwife says its best to cut down gradually and thats what im doing.

Im not gona lie sometimes if im stressed i have a few more. Im having avery difficult time of it just now and it defo helps. My mum smoked through 4 pregnancies and had 4 perfectly healthy babies.

Im not saying its good hence why im cutting down but my midwife has advised that the stress of cutting out completely is more harmful for the baby and im gonna folowher advice as she knows best
Not judging any one here who smokes, just wanted to pass on some info that I read in a pamplet my OB gave me.  It said that smoking while pregnant can lead to a low birth weight, but studies have shown that it can increase the severity of other problems.  It said that people who have smoked while pregnant has shown an increase the number of children with mild mental retardation and learning disabilities (specifically reading).  I found this info interesting because I teach children with mental retardation and learning disabilities.  Just a thought...
When I was pregnant my ob/gyn actually told me not to quit cold turkey because of the fact that it would cause too much stress on the baby.  He told me to cut back then quit if I could.  
i smoked with all of mine...and my oldest i smoked almost 2 pack a day...she is almost 14 now...she came out 8lb 8oz... so i am not sure if it is right as far as for EVERYONE...but my babies were all normal sized and larger... my oldest son who is 11 now was my smallest at 6lb 13oz and my youngest who is almost 6 was 7lb 9 3/4oz
all were 19 inches long.

i still smoke about a pack a day even though i am ttc...but i believe that my soon to be dh will be insisting i quit or at least cut back, but he had better also....WHEN i get my BFP.

good luck to all
I think every body is different. Some babies come out fine, others don't. As parents we just have to do the best we can to quit/cut back. I remember when I tried to quit completely before (I only smoke like 1/2 a cigarette every other day) it stressed me out. I was biting my lips and just anxious with withdrawl (withdrawal)... It is better for me to have that little bit here and there because if I cant have something- I want it even more ya know!

So far my baby is healthy and measuring 2 weeks larger for his age. I'm not saying smoking is good during pregnancy but sometimes quitting causes more stress/damage than smoking itself. Just cut back as much as possible. Plus I find it discouraging when Doctors ask how much I smoke and I said 1/2 one every other day. And they say "1/2 a pack?" and I tell them no, just 1/2 a cigarette and they laugh and act like its no big deal. I trust that if 1/2 a cigarette here and there would cause serious damage, they would tell me. I've seen 4 doctors throughout this pregnancy.
Your friend's baby still seems to struggle to breathe? You said the baby was premature, they usually do have trouble with their lungs anyway but the baby is not on any resp therapy for being premature? Try to follow up on that situation because if his oxygen level is low he can suffer mental retardation or worse. there is no real way to know if it was her smoking that did this or the premature problem but I bet she's still smoking and around the baby too and this will def affect his breathing now.
I don't smoke and I did not smoke while pregnant. I cannot believe some of your OBs are saying it is okay so long as you smoke "less than ____". Reducing your cig intake because you're weaning off of them is one thing. But to continue to smoke under an OB's guideline that it is okay is quite another.

Not saying to quit cold turkey. But at least make an effort to stop at some point.
I use to smoke for about 6 years, but after I got married and before conceiving I quit.  I knew I did not want to be a "smoker" and I knew for a fact I didnt want to raise my child around it.  Not that I think that it is a bad thing, but I remember kids in school smelling like smoke and they would always get made fun of.  It was tough to quit but it was the first time it was really important to me....cause I tried numerous times before.
This is totally my opinion...maybe because I suffered a previous m/c....but I did everything in my power to give my baby the best chance.  After all the body I created will have to withstand many years around here.  I didnt want to subject him to anything and I want it to be his choice if he chooses to drink or smoke..not because I put it in him. Also I didnt want to have him born addicted to anything.  Which they could be if they are use to the nicotine...which can give way to a very irratated child.
Again this is only me, and I understand many other people have different circumstances.  Everyone has different viewpoint on if deli meat is safe so I am sure there are alot of different opinion when it comes to smoking or drinking while pregnant.
babyscience - one thing, the deli meat being safe issue is purely by way of certains risks that MAY occur if you consume the deli meat.. ciggarettes, however are most DEFINITELY harmful, it's proven, and quite obvious if you ask me. It even smells bad, simply is just a poisonous toxic chemical. I don't think there's much debate on the issue of the safety of smoking, or drinking for that matter while pregnant.

anyways
Goingonfivekids - I kind of wondered if his prematurity had something to do with the smoking as well. In fact I'm not even sure if he WAS actually premature.. She did tell me last week that he was 2 weeks early, which wouldn't actually make him premature, at 38 weeks a baby is full term.. So I'm not so sure about that.. It's always hard to tell what caused certain problems or if it was purely chance, just like a baby born to a non-smoker with the same issues, but it is VERY clear that it didn't help his condition at all, if you ask me. But no... her, her mom, dad,  boufriend and sister all smoke in the household but they do not smoke around the baby, I noticed. But that also means the baby was subject to even worse damage from secondhand smoke during gestation. :(
Kstarr
I am totally with you on that...I was just trying to put it in a subjective manner, in that a big risk to me was whether I should eat deli meat ot not....whereas some people actually contemplate smoking or drinking.  I was one of those that didnt eat deli meat, have a drink, stayed away from almost every cheese, and held my breath when walking by smokers.  I wish they had pregnancy bubbles around...because i would have put myself in one and just bounced around. LOL.  
But people will do what they want to do and we cant control what goes on...so the only thing I can say to any pregnant woman is educate yourself on all the risks out there...if you think it is worth it in the end and are willing to accept any of the results then I cant say dont do it....just dont do it around me or in public, because I am sure you will get alot of bad looks.
Oh also Kstarr, I would like to applaude you on being so young but more mature and educated then the average girl.  I have read a lot of your post and you are very intune with yourself.  I am sure you will be a great mother.
Thanks a lot. :)
I get what you're saying, I feel the same way. My mom smokes, and I had to write a note to her not to smoke in the bathroom because the chemicals and smells stayed around long after she left... Whenever she lights up a ciggarette I say what I need to say and get out of her room and I always ask to walk in front of her when she has a ciggarette lit.. lol I try to avoid things the best I can. I think the most caffiene I've had is two or three cans in one week [I know that's not GREAT, but it's hard not to when there's a case of soda in the fridge lol] usually I don't drink any or do anything that they tell you not to. I *personally* find it amazing when other people think it's okay to smoke or drink or even do drugs while they are pregnant. Although those that know the risks and are trying their hardest are a different story.
kstarr07 - i completely agree with you, im just gonna say ditto - what she said from now on lol. You some it up perfectly like a lady with a lifetime of knowledge :-)

at the end of the day people when you smoke whilst pregnant whether or not you do or dont have any preterm births, respiratory probs or your mums and nans smoked etc etc - it is proven that some damage will be done. It does the unthinkable to your body and you cant always see it? So it will not matter what you think or feel it is not good for your baby and will cause some form of harm visible or not. It is poison and everything you digest/ inhale etc passes through your baby so it will reach them.
i congratulate those who have or are trying to quit or cut down. I know how hard it is...

:-)

i think with my "topic" i meant
*** Be honest if you DO smoke or HAVE while pregnant***
....and wow, ya i smoke(hey get this after my last response last nite i only had *4* which for me was hard, but i wasn't thinking about it, so i guess it didnt bother me!)

but i don't think i meant if you had never smoked, to lecture about something.....i guess i was looking for others who were in my *dilemna* of smoking, and how they handled it, wether quitting, cutting back, or if the PLACENTA issue was random or often.....i saw another post where i was about to fall off my chair b/c of, but i just thought i'd come back here and correct myself, as i meant to several times, but just didnt.....and now i have.....
DO NOT judge people.....I DON'T CARE who you are, please remember, NONE of us have ever lived the SAME life, and 1 does not have the right to judge others.....in the end we all meet Him, and i FIRMLY believe
*ONLY "HE" CAN JUDGE ME*
oh and when every single person around you smokes, and i do mean evry single one, it's hard to quit!!!!!!!!!!! and i'm already intoverted, and i get moody, so in all honesty, if i just "sat inside" every time people went out to smoke(since we mostly sit outside all evening anyways), it'd actually make my friends and family think "even if she's trying to quit she can still socialize".....oh and i DO NOT drink, in fact a month ago i went to a club with friends(we celebrated 2 divorces, 1 engagement anf my pregnancy), and we had a no-alcohol stipulation, and my 1 friend actually intentionally knocked this girl's drink out of her hand to the floor....she was "obviously" very pregnant, and we noticed she'd had like 3 diff drinks, so my friend just walked up, smacked the glass, and when the bouncers realized what happened they kicked the preggo girl out....the next night we went for friends who were deploying and they had a sign up "IF YOU APPEAR TO BE *WITH CHILD* YOU WILL *NOT* BE SERVED ALCOHOL".....
I dont think anyone here has judged anyone.  Most people have just stated why it was or is bad.  I havent read anyone say you are a bad person or mother for smoking.  I know how hard it is to quit as I did it myself...but also my dh wasnt a smoker so that was another driving force and made it soo much easier.  Everyone lives a different life, I had a m/c in mine so I was very overprotective....is that the best way to be pregnant...no, but that is how I dealt with it!  And trust me I have had many lectures on why smoking is bad for you from various different friends when I was a smoker.  Did I listen...no...I knew it was bad and I knew the damage I was doing to myself everyday, but I didnt care.  However I think when you post things such as "be honest" you will get alot of honesty from everyone...not just smokers.  
I just thought about the placenta part too.  Cigaratte are a vaso constrictor, meaning the vascular system (veins and arteries) constrict while smoking...also the oxygen transfer into your blood is decreased.  So I do see how a placenta can be affected by smoking, it isnt getting as much blood flow as it should and the oxygen within that blood is lowered.  It will then recover after you stop smoking, so I could see the more you smoke the more that cycle will occur.  Also the same effect is occuring within your child...as the nicotine passes through it will also experience vaso constricting....this is occuring in very newly developed veins and arteries.
I believe you know all the risks and everyone that smokes knows it is bad whether you are with child or not...So the best approach to anything in life is Moderation.  It is never to good to drink to much, eat too much sugar, too much carbs, heck even too much protein and that is the new crave.  So my advice to you is what the Docs say, switch to a brand that doesnt have weird chemicals and try not to smoke as much...if eventually you can quit even if it is only a month before you give birth then that is great.  It will cut down on the babies dependency to cigarettes too, because right now your child is also use to lighting up.
When I found out I was pregnant I was smoking a pack or more per day of Marlboro Lights and quit cold turkey immediately.  Believe me, I know how hard it is to quit and I went through several weeks of withdrawal and HORRIBLE headaches.  I am so proud of myself for doing it though!  I quit the same way when I found out I was pregnant with my first and didn't touch a cigaratte during my whole pregnancy or while breastfeeding.  I used a powerful imaging tool to help me when I felt the urge........I asked myself if I would be okay with blowing smoke in my baby's face and of course the answer is hell no.  I just pictured my baby with smoke around him/her and couldn't dream of lighting up.  I am not a judge and don't judge others for their choices at all............this was just my personal decision and how I stuck with it.  Good luck!
Here is a VERY compelling site to look at:
http://pregnancy.about.com/od/smokingpregnanc/a/10nosmoke.htm

There are more reasons to quit than you may think.............low birth weight is not the only thing that can happen.  I agree that some people "get lucky" and smoke during their pregnancies with nothing happening, but not everyone is.  Is it really worth the risk?
here's some stuff "we" who have admitted to smoking have gotten! hehe....

How many of you would give your  baby a cigarette . Apparently most of you.

kris777----ya know, now that i picture your "image" omg, i see how bad that would be lol.....well, i've gone 4 hours without one today, so i think i may just be able to wean off over the next 2 weeks.....i hope lol....i can't afford it! baby or not!!!
Well I think a few judgemental comments out of how many you have is quite good. :)  Considering there are many women on this site that have been trying to get pregnant for years.  So just dont worry about it and do what you see fit.  When I was back in the ttc stage after my m/c I would have said "how could you".  But I have gotten to know many women who are pregnant and each are all so different....and it just comes down to different life experiences.  I have enough years under my belt to know that we are all adults and will make our own decisions.  
When I quit smoking I had to do different activities then the normal routine.  So smoking on the way to work and home was nixed first.  Then once I did that I would find different things to do at home.  But I still had an occassional one only if I went out.  Again this was all easier because most the people I hang out with dont smoke.  I will tell you while I was pregnant I craved it a lot, dont know why, but I did.  I still do...but now I just wont do it.  Maybe you can ask your dh to start weening with you or just try not to smoke around you, because at the times you arent even thinking of a cig, if you see someone smoke you are gonna start thinking of it again.  Or maybe just try chewing on gum or beefjerky or going on walks...that will help with the tension you get built up.
My dh's mom smoked during both of her pregnancies. It's funny, because she talked about how "little" weight she gained and how she barely had any weight to lose after having them. Well, do ya THINK?? Isn't that another reason smokers don't like to quit? Because a lot of them gain weight afterwards?

Anyway, he has major allergy problems, and he feels it has to do with his mom smoking during pregnancy.

On another note, we always made her go outside to smoke when visiting our home...which she had no problem with.  Well, when we found out we were going to have a baby, the thought of her clothes, breath and hands smelling like smoke made us worry about her even holding him when he was born.
For the first time, she actually did something that wasn't selfish. We discussed our concerns with her, and she promised she would stop smoking for the baby's sake. (Either that or she'd have to practically wear a HAZMAT suit just to see him! LOL)

When she visited the first time, she went to a hypnotist (one of dh's coworkers has a husband who does it for a living). She went to him ONCE, and I swear she hasn't smoked since.

That a year ago this month...and she's still doing fine. And this is someone who smoked pretty much her entire life.

You have to have the DESIRE to quit for it to truly work, but apparently hypnotism DOES help!  Some people are against hypnotism, but hey, it beats smoking! :-)
I would never smoke while pregnant. For 9 months everything that you put into your body directly affects your baby, you have a responsibility to stay healthy to give your baby the best start in life.

I am usually smoker (not that heavy but do enjoy a few everyday), I am now 6.5 weeks pregnant and couldn't think of anything worse than to put a cigarette into my mouth. I'm surprised that some people find it hard to stop, and just the knowledge of knowing you are growing your child inside of you should be enough to turn you off cigarettes.

I have had a miscarriage (I did everything right too) and had been trying for a long time. A friend of mine has two happy healthy children and she smoked and drank all the way through her pregnancy (a lot too!!!). It was really hard for me to watch her do that. Sorry, but I just don't know why anyone would put the health of their unborn child at risk.
with my fiance gone, i think it's been easier, as since he's not here, it's been easy to cut back so much.....oh and see, i'm mean to an extent, b/c i DO know smoking really unhealthy, but if i had a friend who was pregnant, and still "partied", i'd have to take a hand to her lol....if it sounds hypocritical(i know it does in some way), but if i had to only choose between smoking lightly or drinking, i'd have to smoke....but i'm in the midst of smoking outside ONLY, and i bought some of the smokers candles as well as the "gel" air fresheners, and i think *I* can tell a big diff in the way my home smells.....oh and i went and saw a rental home today, and it's been totally remodled on the inside, and doesnt smell at all(Yay!), so if we move in 2 weeks, it'd be soooo much easier to finish "weaning" and convincing df that the "house doesnt smell, let's not make it smell" lol....

also, wanna know something strange? i've tried to quit a few times, but if someone around me smokes, like next to me, and i can't get away, the SMOKE will make me nauseas, yet if *I* smoke, the smoke doesnt bother me.....but like i said, i'm "clearing the air" in here, so i def think if i get rid of the smell,it'd be easier, cos then i wouldn't smell it as much....does that make any sense? lol

and i agree, a few "judgements" are ok, but not outright calling someone, well idk, i'm tired i can't think of the word i want lol.....but you're right there were alot of good results from the topic!
Apparently the receptors in your brain respond massively to the smell of smoke, so if you are trying to quit and you smell cigarette smoke you will have huge cravings!!! So you're right, if you get rid of the smell you will definitely crave less.

Even though I can't imagine smoking when pregnant, I'm lucky enough not to have a full addiction (very much social or boredom smoking) So it's easy for me not to smoke, my partner doesn't smoke (unless he's really drunk!!), so that also makes it much easy, there's zero temptation.

Here is some info, I think drinking probably has more health problems:

Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) is a pattern of mental and physical defects which develops in some unborn babies when the mother drinks "too much" alcohol during pregnancy. The problem is nobody is certain just how much "too much" is.

A baby born with FAS, or even with the lesser Fetal Alcohol Effects (FAE), can have serious handicaps and therefore could require a lifetime of special care. There is even some research that indicates that women who plan to get pregnant should stop drinking before they even conceive.
Here are some of the problems:

Small body size and weight
Slower than normal development and failure to "catch up."
Deformed ribs and sternum
Curved spine and hip dislocations
Bent, fused, webbed, or missing fingers or toes
Limited movement of joints
Small head
Facial abnormalities
Small eye openings
Skin webbing between eyes and base of nose
Drooping eyelids
Nearsightedness
Failure of eyes to move in same direction
Short upturned nose
Sunken nasal bridge
Flat or absent groove between nose and upper lip
Thin upper lip
Opening in roof of mouth
Small jaw
Low-set or poorly formed ears
Organ deformities
Heart defects or heart murmurs
Genital malformations
Kidney and urinary defects
Central nervous system handicaps
Small brain
Faulty arrangement of brain cells and connective tissue
Mental retardation -- occasionally severe
Learning disabilities
Short attention span
Irritability in infancy
Hyperactivity in childhood
Poor body, hand, and finger coordination

Problems with smoking in pregnancy:

Smoking during pregnancy
Women who quit smoking before or early in pregnancy significantly reduce the risk for several adverse outcomes.

Compared with women who do not smoke—
Women who smoke prior to pregnancy are about twice as likely to experience a delay in conception and have approximately 30% higher odds of being infertile.
Women who smoke during pregnancy are about twice as likely to experience premature rupture of membranes, placental abruption, and placenta previa during pregnancy.
Babies born to women who smoke during pregnancy—
Have about 30% higher odds of being born prematurely.
Are more likely to be born with low birth weight (less than 2500 grams or 5.5 pounds), increasing their risk for illness or death.
Weigh an average of 200 grams less than infants born to women who do not smoke.
Are 1.4 to 3.0 times more likely to die of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
Smoking during pregnancy also increases the risk of stillbirth, miscarriage, and severe vaginal bleeding.

Smoking while pregnant puts both mother's and baby's life at risk. Currently, about 13 percent of pregnant women in the U.S. smoke during pregnancy. If all pregnant women stopped smoking while pregnant, there would be an estimated 10 percent reduction in infant deaths in this country, according to the U.S. Public Health Service. Smoking while pregnant should be a cause for concern. Cigarette smoke contains more than 2,500 chemicals, with nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide thought to be the most dangerous to the fetus.
I don't smoke. Although I don't know how hard it is to give up because I never have. Although I used to have about 7 cups of coffee a day including v drinks at the gym, when I found out I was pregnant I immediately went cold turnkey on every type of caffeine..had a major migraine for 5 days..couldn't function..thew up and got over it. I mean, this is only a drink but I want to give my child the best possible start (had previous miscarriage). I can imagine giving up smoking is something like this but a bit harder. My brother smokes and I get really ****** if I'm watching t.v and I can smell his cigarette outside. I tell him to move away.
my girl friend here said she would find me a plaque like she has, it's gotlittle fire trucks onit, and it's wooden, and says respect the boys....and the big circle/cross out on it....well, i went to walmart and spent $30 on those gel odor absorbers...and i was able to only smoke *1* since i woke up around 1:30am( chris called, freaked me out cos he called from a coworkers nmbr hehe).....and i fought going and buying another pack, but eating mini pickles and ranch(my lifetime fave treat lol), and surprisingly it's helped with the *hand to mouth* deal.....my friend said eat cereal, cos for 15-20 mins, i'm sitting there doing the action repitiscously(BIG sp? lol), and she said it helps her if she can't smoke....
I don't smoke but I'm sure it must be really hard to quit, nevertheless please don't do it while you are pregnant, the smoke gets in the placenta and it's like being in a bubble full of smoke, my friend smoked during all her 3 pregnancys all babies were ver low birthweight  and today they all have asthma. I am not trying to offend anybody I understand how hard it must be and I know most of you know the effects I just felt I should tell you this.
No one is judging, just stating their opinions. I'm surprised because a topic like this can usually become a very heated debate/argument. You're TRYING and that is what matters.
I agree with Joy , there CAN sometimes be attacking when it comes to matters like these and I've only seen a few blunt opinions on people who feel strongly about it, although most people [such as myself] were comending your efforts for trying, atleast.
I think that I would never do anything that could harm my baby(ies) considering the risks already out there from doing everything right.

However, smoking is an addiction and it is not that easy to quit. If I was in this situation I would have taken steps to quit BEFORE I started TTC. I have heard of Midwives telling mothers not to change their internal environments too much because this can disturb the natural balance of things.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't know the right answer but what I do know is that after my M/C I found it very hard to watch pregnant mothers smoking and drinking or hearing about mothers doing such things when I had tried to do everything right and I lost my baby :(

I admire those of you that have been honest about smoking though...
How sad to read all of this. I've got one luck baby I would NEVER do that too.
But yes I do know some people who smoke while pregnant.
I just finaly quit at 23 weeks i cut down when i found out i was pregnant to about five a day i use to smoke a little more than a pack, but everytime i lit up i felt soooo guilty, i couldnt understand how i did it cold turkey with my daughter,and just couldnt with this one. Well i was reading that this is the time his lungs start to develope and that was it for me. I guess iv screwed up mine enough, its only right not to screw his up. Anyway good luck ladies, its a daily struggle but its worth it!  May we all have beautiful healty babies
I've never smoked in my life, but my aunt last year didn't slow down or stop for her pregnancy and her baby was very healthy, normal and normal sized.
I was told by my obgyn not to quit smoking right away, bc the baby is already addicted and would cause me to get sick. But, ended up going down to a half a pack a day.. really all depends on your doctor.
I'm pregnant with #6. Smoked with 4 out of 5 of the pregnancies. No birthweight issues, they were 9.4, 7.7, 8.2, 8.13, &9.1. I was told the withdrawal is worse for baby than smoking. I'm smoking about half a pack a day of Newport reds, and am 9 weeks today with a healthy baby as confirmed on ultrasound at 7wk6days. Also, my other children were quite healthy, just the normal childhood illnesses except for 1, who had a liver problem not related to my smoking.
My first pregnancy I smoked through the whole thing just under a pack a day and my son came 3 weeks early almost 8 pounds. the only issue I have with him now he is four he was diagnosed with asthma a few months ago. I still smoke now in my second pregnancy and I am 5 weeks. I smoke just under a pack and i told myself when i got prego that I would quit but now I just can't seem to quit. I don't want my  second child to get asthma event tho my first came out perfectly healthy minus asthma at 4. But doc said that most kids get asthma when they r young and grow out of it. So i really want to quit but just can't. That last cigarette in my pack I say this is my last then I get stressed out and have to buy another pack. Just trying to quit is so stressful in itself. Idk what I'm gunna do. I do smoke lights so maybe I can get those all natural butts with no additives. I really did just want to quit all together. :-(
I used to be a pack of day smoker for 5 years but with both my pregnancy I was forced to cut back. My boyfriend keeps the cigarettes in a safe and leaves one out for me everyday. I never keep extra cash Cuz if temptation hits there's a store right down the street.  But funny I did have $10 one time and went for a quick walk to the store. By the time I got there I decided I rather have food than a cigarette s pop I went next door to sonic and spent that money extreme tots and a strawberry ocean water. When I confessed to my boyfriend bout going to buy cigarettes but getting distracted by food he laughed and thought it was the funniest thing in world. I know smoking isn't good at all, pregnant or not and I hate when people when OK don't have this addiction criticize like everything  they do is right. People d OK by understand how hard it is to quit and for some it's harder than others. But I do aknowledge that even my one a day is bad for baby and I'm not trying to justify it to be right but I used cigarettes to break a 7 year addiction to meth. I been clean off Meth since January 2010. And honestly if smoking keeps me from thinking bout dope I'll choose my one cigarette over relapsing any day. It strange very few people knew about my Meth addiction and I just admitted it in a forum for hundreds to see. But I know about addiction and I wish people weren't so judgments Cuz maybe I would have seemed help sooner with my Meth addiction....
I'm 27 weeks and still smoking I try to quit but I am having a hard time. Some days I don't smoke much other days its half a pack or more. I do daycare for 5 kids 8 and under 7 days a week and they are the definition of stress.... I live them but they drive me up the wall. I have 2 left and don't plan on buying anymore. It doesn't help that my man smokes and also their mom so even if I don't have any they do.
I smoked for over 10 years and knew there was no way I would b able the quit. so when I found out I was pregnant I looked up electronic cigarettes online. I am now 16weeks and 3 days and haven't smoked a real cigarette in 15 weeks. its defo worth a try. I couldn't have stopped without it :-) good luck!
I smoked up until 14 weeks I'm 17 now so I haven't quit very long
I dont condole any woman smoking while pregnant! I for one personally think you are just askin to harm your child. Low birth weight isnt the only issue also harmful to their lungs. Poor babies you should think about what you are doing to them not yourself anymore. I'm done venting! That's a very touchy subject for me
The amount of people whose mothers NEVER smoked I know with allergies or asthma is unbelievable.. But of.course these things only happen, or.get picked on if your a smoker lol.. My mum heavily smoked with me & my sisters, not one of us has athsma or breathing problems. I hope none of the ladies judging smokers have eatin or dranken anything they say you shouldnt, cos ur baby will get an infection, premature, and possibly mentally retarded... Same thing hey? U should be having a go at the government for making these things legal and especially for selling to pregnant women.. Since is sooo harmful.. Id say if you werent a pre pregnancy smoker and u decide to take up smoking while pregnant then yeah ur a fukhead.. If its something youve done for years, no one knows what it feels like to try an stop a habit youve had for years, only u know how.bad it is..
I smo through my two previous pregnancies. I felt guilty everytime I got my fix =( But my babies came out a healthy weight, no asthma, in fact they're smarter and developing faster than most of my friends children. Though I wouldnt encourage anyone to smoke while pregnant or at all for that matter, I dont want you to feel bad that your havinga hard time...good luck hunn.
I smoke
I am a non smoker and never have smoked.
My mother did smoke when pregnant with me though. I was not premature. But developed asthma in my first month of life. Had rsv as well as at 2 years old had to get tubes in my ears due to constant infection from her chain smoking in the house and car.
I still suffer from asthma. And am highly allergic to cig smoke.
My mother just turned 45 and quit about 6 months ago to better her health. She smoked since 15 years old. My husband smoked about 2 years and it made me severely sick. So it was not an option but to quit.
They both say its the best thing they have ever done. But also the hardest. I know all situations are different. And its not ok to me personally. But to say someone wants to intentionally harm their child is untrue. They are not they want the best outlook for their unborn child as everyone else does. They just suffer an addiction they have to fight off cravings not you. It is not easy.  
So are you aware that when your baby cant be consoled the issue might be that its because it needs some nicotine. You are aware that cigarettes are addictive and these nine months your child will spend them getting hooked on cigarettes. So you will not give your child a cigarette outside of the womb, but there is a possibility they might want one. Starting out life going through withdrawal is not ideal. Not being rude just stating a fact.
My mom a smoked through all of her kids um she there's 7 of us And none of us have problems we've all come out help you then a Ox my mama says