Pregnancy 18-24 Community
BPA Free Baby Bottles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

BPA Free Baby Bottles

I'm not really up on all the details of the plastic products containing BPA and their dangers, etc.  But I thought I would pass along this information to anyone that has been looking for some inexpensive BPA-free bottles.  Wal-mart is carrying their Parent's Choice brand of bottles in BPA-free.  I got a three pack for somewhere in the $3-$6 range.  I think it was closer to $3 but I really don't remember.  They were around 6 or 8 oz. bottles.  ( For me to be the one telling this, I'm awfully uncertain on the details...haha)  Anyway, I thought that was a good deal and I would pass it along.  It would be a way to go BPA-free and not have to buy glass.  They aren't fancy, no angled-necks, etc.  But still, a good buy.  I haven't tried them out (baby isn't here yet) so I'm not sure how good they are.
I bought glass bottles last year but I've never used them. I think I have 12 glass bottles. What I do not like about BPA-free bottles is that the nipples are TINY and they are usually latex. I like the breast-like nipples made of silicone. So... hopefully someone makes an AFFORDABLE one soon! LOL!
Hey Joy,
Have you looked into the Dr. Brown's bottles? I have plenty of friends who have used them and loved them and they are the one's I bought for when my little one is born. They are BPA-free and also come with silicone nipples like you mentioned. Anyway, just a suggestion.
my son uses born free. they are kinda expensive but he loves them and loves the nipples. he doenst use bottles much tho
Thank you for the suggestion, Shannon! However, my baby is over a year old and doesn't need bottles anymore... maybe I'll look into it when I get pregnant again!
it has been awhile since i have had babies...my youngest will be 6 in june... what is BPA and why is it bad?
BPA is a chemical in plastic that is activated and seaped into the formula after being heated. It can cause learning disabilities, and other medical issues.

BUT: Before I knew about the BPA which I just found out this year, my boys had been fed from plastic bottles, and I have never had an issue thus far. I plan on using Avent bottles, the dr.Browns are a pain in the rump to clean.

Im not sure if Avent is BPA free, but it is the bottle of choice as far as I go.

If BPA was such a big issue why are plastics used in medical technology and safe although they are not BPA free?

I think the statistics are there to raise economy on certain things, just like one year eggs cause cancer, and the next year they come out with cage free hormone free eggs for 6 bucks a dozen, and later on we find out that eggs never did cause any issues?

I will use what I have always Used, I have yet to meet someone with a BPA affected baby.
In all honesty if the BPA only seaps out when it gets heated then there should not be any problems unless you microwave water or formula or whatever in the microwave, which shouldnt be done anyways because it heats unevenly and leaves hot pockets in the liquid that can burn the baby's mouth. I know sometimes we heat a bottle in a pan of hot water too, which could cause this, but our parents and grandparents used all the same stuff on us, and we are all okay, or at least most of us, Lol!!! So as far as I am concerned I am not concerned at all about the BPA. Too many things now keep coming up that this causes cancer and that causes cancer and this eats up your liver. Come on...give us a break, if there was a good substitute for any of this stuff it would be mass produced and sold cheaper. A...N...D...if it was that unhealthy for us or our kids the FDA would ban these products from being used. So I say its all a bunch of "hogwash", as our grandparents might say!!!
I was just going to say what you did!!  

BPA can only seep into the formula when heated to a boiling point which SHOULD NEVER be done.  It also can seep out when washed in a dishwasher on high heat.  Other than that you shouldn't have a problem.  

I have always planned on using the Playtex disposable bag bottles and they are BPA free.
I agree with hopefulmommy! But the whole BPA thing did have me scared. I personally used the Avent bottles. I wash them by hand in hot, soapy water (we don't have a dishwasher anyway, but if I did I'd still wash them by hand) and we do not microwave our bottles. So I say use the Avent bottles BTS! I used them with both of my daughters.
Very cool. I am deciding between Avent and Playtex, but well see which one our little girl likes best. I have to admit, the BPA thing scared me at first too, but then I thought about it and came to the conclusion you see above. (Shrug) If it was good enough for me, then its good enough for my baby! Ill be hand washing everything anyways.
I use Playtex bottles with the drop-in bags. Those are so convenient! A lot of stores have their own brand of the bags, so we didn't have to spend the money on the actual Playtex brand. We usually got ours at Target.
The bottles can be quickly washed as opposed to regular bottles, since basically they're just "frames" for the bags. And you have a choice of silicone or latex nipples.

I do have a friend who uses Dr. Brown bottles and she says she likes them, too.
Thanks for the info. I am sure it will help all of us with our decisions.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers