Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Baby shower

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Baby shower

So I was asking my mother about a baby shower because she would be the only one to throw one for me. Money is tight right now, she thinks it would be better to take the money she would be spending on a shower and instead put its towards stuff for the baby. This totally makes sense, but I'm still a lil sad about it being this is my first child and I probably won't be having a shower for any future children. Did anyone else skip the shower and just buy lots of baby things? If you did, did u like it/ dislike it and do you regret not having a shower?
I never had a shower for mine, and I'm now 36 weeks, didnt really make any difference to me not to have one. My parents and my partners parents are divorced so they chose to get one big thing each, and friends and other family members have gotten other stuff. Baby showers aren't that big over here in the uk though, so maybe thats why x
I invited ten friends and went to a restaurant and said it was my baby shower get together. I paid for soda and appatizers. If they wanted more they had to pay for themselves.  Even though it was small I still got a lot of stuff for my daughter and saved lots of money. Just an idea that may b helpful....
Hey I was put in the same situation. Im a first time mom also, i wanted to have a baby shower but money was tight and it came up to having a baby shower or buying everything my baby girl needs. after talking with my husband and sister I decided to take the money and buy what she needed instead. Im 33 weeks and 3 days pregnant. I won't be having a baby shower but i do have everything my baby girl will need witch is more then enough for me. I am sad that i couldnt have one but I'm also happy that I'm ready for the baby. just wanted to share my experience with you. congratulations on your pregnancy and i hope you get everything you need as well.
Also...some restaurants like friday's have discounts on sundays.
I'm not having a shower. My mom really wanted to host one for me, but with money bein' so tight, I told her no. I'm okay with not having one, I've had support from friends who chipped In and got me a Travel System and support from my parents and bought me a Pack N Play and Swing/Bouncer In one and some diapers, and I've bought everythin' else. Yea, It would be nice to have one and have some fun, hang out with everyone and get a lot free stuff that you would need, but by the time I hit 30 weeks, we had everythin' for our son already, so In the end, It wouldn't have been necessary. So I'm okay with not having one.
With my 1st child (he's 13 now) I was 19 and money was very tight my mom did a very simple baby shower for me. Prepared the cake herself and got a few bags of chips. It didn't cost much at all and the couple decorations she did get she got for $1 at Dollar Tree. It worked out great even though it wasn't a very big shower I got a lot of things I needed. It worked out great
It really doesn't need to cost anything. If you can get the things you need, do that and just invite people over to get together. If they want to get you something they can get you diapers.
I didn't have the money for one either and didn't plan on having one I was 15 with my first and my youth minister at my church and a few of the older women and some of my friends gor together and threw me one it was so sweet I had my baby shower at my church with beautiful decorations and a ton of food. I got a ton of stuff swings bouncers a walker a travel syatem about 10 packs of diapers a bunch of clothes and shoes and a bunch of other things that I realy needed. I was blessed to have such good people in my lif!
I am on my 3rd and money is super tight.
I plan on not having a shower. But a gender reveal.
Nothing fancy no decor or anything just family and my two friends I have left.
My husband is just going to make hot fogs and hamburgers. And I'm goin to have my mom make a cake pink or blue inside.
And I will be telling anyone who wishes to buy something to please just provide a gift card to their store of choice.
So I can get everything that's needed. Plus no one will know the gender until the get together.
I'm throwing my own, if you can afford it why not. which we are going cheap. making finger sandwiches and having chips. just playing 3 games, gotta cheap cake. and just gonna hang out with the family. no need for invitations, just call people and let em know.