Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Bactrim for UTI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Bactrim for UTI

Have any of you ladies taken this medication and everything turned out ok?  I'm a little scared of taking meds while pregnant.  I don't even take anything for my cold.
is it a black and yellow pill?  i had one with my first daughter, it was a black and yellow pill...  cant remember the name, but didn't cause anything to happen to my daughter
If it's a black and yellow pill, I've taken it too, but I haven't taken anything since I've been pregnant except for Benadryl for an allergic reaction and Tylenol for a headache.  I would assume if your doctor prescribed, they know you are pregnant, so it should be fine.
i like how we can't remember the name of the black and yellow pill LOL
no unfortunately, is all white, real big and it tastes horrible
Well, usually they wont prescribe something that isn't good for you and baby!  I may have gotten the yellow and black pill because I have medicine allergies.  And Same with Krushing.  I know allergies to medicine can affect the kind of antibiotics you get.

You can always call the pharmacist and ask, they will know for sure if it causes any harm what so ever!

HOWEVER I just found this...(it says you shouldn't use it if pregnant...eeek

What is the most important information I should know about Bactrim?
You should not use Bactrim if you are allergic to sulfamethoxazole or trimethoprim, if you are pregnant or breast-feeding, or if you have anemia (lack of red blood cells) caused by folic acid deficiency.
Before using Bactrim, tell your doctor if you have kidney or liver disease, a folic acid deficiency, asthma or severe allergies, AIDS, a glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (G6PD deficiency), or if you are malnourished.

Take this medication for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cleared. Bactrim will not treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.
Antibiotic medicines can cause diarrhea, which may be a sign of a new infection. If you have diarrhea that is watery or has blood in it, call your doctor. Do not use any medicine to stop the diarrhea unless your doctor has told you to.

Avoid exposure to sunlight or artificial UV rays (sunlamps or tanning beds). Bactrim can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight and sunburn may result. Use a sunscreen (minimum SPF 15) and wear protective clothing if you must be out in the sun.
I would call your doctor and demand something else...I was trying to find the one I had, but I can't remember the name...as the pharmacy about it maybe, black and yellow pill.  one in the morning and one at night for 7 days!
I took Bactrim for my UTI recently.  The nurse said the anti-biotic wouldn't have any effects on the baby but if they UTI stayed around it would cause pre-term labor.  I'm assuming the benefits out-weight the negatives.  I don't think your doctor would have prescribed you something unsafe for your baby.
Macrobid is the black and yellow pill. Ialso heard no Bactrim, you can take amoxacillin. and Macrobid that everyone has mentioned.
i took it while pregnant..on 2 different occasions and all is well here :)
Hey Jen, Macrobid (as they say the yellow and black pill) is also for UTI and is not harmful to baby unless you breast feed or you take the drug in the last 2-4 weeks of pregnancy. Its actually a class B drug.

Bactrim is a class C drug, which means you would have a higher chance of harming the baby, although, there are many women who doctors prescribe bactrim to.

Talk it over with you DR and ask him/her what the percentage is of your baby being harmed, like one of the ladies said, the dr wont prescribe something if he/she thinks its a great risk.
Yeah, Kiki's right...I looked at the bottle.  It's Macrobid.
I have been on both macrobid and bactrim at different points during my pregnancy... I wasnt thrilled either time but my doctor reassured me many times that is was safe, much safer then not treating the infection. Trust me, im with you I really didnt want to take the med.  But its not safe for baby to let the infection go, it can cause preterm labour and possible get to the baby.  The macrobid is for a uti but I was told when I had to take the bactrium that it is a different type of antibiotic for a bacteriol ( i cant spell sorry) infection, not a uti that you can more commonly get durring preg in your lady parts.  So you might want to ask, thats why they told me it had to be the bactrium and not the macrobid that time.  
Well I went to this website where they give you information about meds, and the one I'm taking is the generic brand, it says "This medication should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy", and is only a 3 day supply.  I did ask my doctor before he prescribed it to me, if anything that he prescribed would harm my babby, and he said no.  But if I don't treat it then it would be worse.  

Thanks ladies.  But so far so good, and I feel my little girl moving much more now.