Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Bleeding While Pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Bleeding While Pregnant

I'm not sure if I'm pregnant yet but if so I am around 5 weeks about. I started bleeding around 2 in the after noon with light cramps and it was brown blood with a little bit of clots. Then it grew pink/dark red and a bit heavier. Now it's like a dark dark red with clots in it (little) And medium ... Does this mean I could be possibly having a miscarriage?
With my first child I had heavy bleeding and bright red blood so I'm confused if I should be scared or not?
Well you could be.  But don't be too worried if you haven't taken a pregnancy test yet.  That's where you need to start.  If you bleeding because heavier than a heavy period or has an odor, you need to see a physician.  If you take a pregnancy test that is positive, you know you need to see a physician.  Good luck.
I don't have an oder and my regular period is usually heavy and bright red but this is like a medium flow.
I agree that I wouldn't worry until you know if the pregnancy test is positive or negative yet. Many women start and stop bleeding sporadically post-partum up until (and sometimes past!) about 8 wks post-partum, so your bleeding may just be coming back. Mine came and went for 8wks with my daughter, and came for about 1 1/2wks with my son, went away, and then 6wks post-partum I bled again for a week, but I'm pretty sure it was just my first post-partum period starting.

First thing to do would be to test. If it's positive, time to pay attention to the bleeding and go ahead and make an appointment with your OB to come in THIS WEEK *before Christmas!* or go to the ER if you can't be seen (if it is a miscarriage there's nothing they can do other than make sure you do not have complications from the miscarriage, but it's important to be checked anyway). If you're not pregnant, it may just be your first post-partum period, it may be post-partum bleeding (lochia) coming back, or it may be something else.

until you've tested and know either way, you need to keep an eye on the amount. If you are soaking more than a heavy duty (overnight sized) pad in an hour, go to the ER. It could be a post-partum complication. if you are having excruciating pain (can't walk, hard time breathing) go to the ER. otherwise I'd just say it's probably your first period, or the bleeding starting up again.
Thanks again! You are so very helpful! Also disregard what I said in the other post. I had yet to see the one you put here so I wasn't sure.
LOL It's all good, that's what I figured :-). Make sure and update me when you know either way...I'll check back tomorrow and if you haven't tested by then, I'll keep checking back.

Best wishes and good luck!