Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Braxton Hicks Contractions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Braxton Hicks Contractions

Hi Ladies,
I am 22-23 weeks (not sure which on baby and uterus are a week ahead of schedule).  
I have been having what my doctor says is braxton hicks contractions, even though she mentioned it is a little early for them.  
Feels like my uterus spasms or tenses up several times a day, but is not painful and usually goes away within five minutes.  All of you women with children or are pregnant in the second trimster has this or is this happening to you too? Doc said to call if it happens hourly just keep an eye on them and try to avoid stress (kind of impossible with my job but I try).
Should I be concerned everything else in my pregnancy has gone perfectly so far.  Any insight would be appreciated :)
Yes, BH contractions at that stage are very normal. Mine started around 19 weeks and became more noticeable around 24 weeks. As long as they are not regular, not getting closer together, and not getting more intense, then everything is fine. :)
Sounds exactly like BH and every doctor I have ever had said its normal to have them around and after 20 weeks. I also agree with what victoria said.
bh are more in the lower part and do not radiate all over and up top of the uterus. They say they aren't regular but mine are when I have them. But they stay in the lower part and also do not radiate to my back at all. They are normal and each woman has their own sensitivity and awareness to their body so don't worry. If they get worse or painful or your discharge chances with them, or bleeding/spotting or pressure that is when you need to worry and have an ultraosund for a cervical check to make sure they are not changing you in any way. But sounds normal and ok to me.
i had them starting around 19 weeks..very early. make sure your bladder is empty and you are hydrated. (i always find this kind of funny because it seems a big contradictive in pregnancy lol) but whenever my bladder is full i almost always start to get them. but anyways when i was seen once at l&d they said to call if i felt more than 5 in an hour. some people say more than 4. but if you are having a lot the best thing to do is make sure your hydrated, empty your bladder, and if your resting get up and walk around and if your active lay down and rest. my childbirth instructor said BH will go away 100% of the time, true labor contractions will not.
The other ladies gave good advice, but I thought I'd share my experience as well. I started having BH before 23 weeks I'd have them a few times a day only one at a time. I worked as a waitress at the time, and at 25 weeks I had one, then another an hour and a half later, another an hour later, and thought maybe I should get checked out because I'd had more than I normally do in a day in about two and a half hours, by the time an hour had gone by and I had left work and got to the hospital and hooked up they were five minutes apart. I didn't have any pain, just contracting every five minutes. I didn't start dilating but they did give me the...um, the...starts with a T shot to stop them, and after about 20-30 min they stopped coming five min apart, and I continued to have them the rest of the day but they were more like once or twice an hour. At 33 weeks I went in again because they were 10 min apart and I was told before 36 weeks to come in if they were 10 min apart, and after 36 weeks 3-4 min apart. They told me at the hospital that they CAN be painful and feel like REAL LABOR contractions, I had this proven to me around 35 weeks when I had a couple, swore my son was flipping (he was breech), but it was just the contraction. As long as you stay hydrated and empty your bladder often you should be ok, and try to take breaks and stay off your feet for long periods of time.
Thanks everyone!  That does make sense I have a very small bladder and have always had problems with UTI's luckily I haven't had one with pregnancy (knock on wood) but a lot of times I feel I cannot empty my bladder.  I did a 25 walk on my treadmill last night and had to get off in the middle to pee when I had just went right before.  I had a doc appointment yesterday so I know I don't have an infection.  I will try my best to keep it empty, but that seems impossible like mentioned with staying hydrated too.  
I just keep my fingers crossed they don't prgress.  Thanks again for the reply :)