Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Brownish discharge before period!?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Brownish discharge before period!?

Hi, okay so I woke up this morning and found that my discharge was a brownish color... I know this is normal after your period, it would be considered old blood.. But I don't get my period for about another week... so this is happening BEFORE my period! I'm worried. When I googled it, people were saying that it could be spotting from a pregnancy, I HOPE TO GOD IM NOT PREGNANT! and I don't think I can take a pregnancy test because I need to wait about 2 weeks after my missed period.. I have very light cramps, no bloating, but I do have a horrible headache, probably from worrying and I'm incredibly tired. PLEASE someeoneee give me answers!!! Is this normal!!? Will I get my period or does it sound like I could be Pregnant!?!?
Hi MariaLopez,

Before you get too stressed out, know that it is very possible and common for women to get "breakthrough spotting" which can occur at anytime during a cycle.  More often women get this when they take any type of hormonal forms of birth control.  Even if you don't take any birth control, sometimes your own hormone production can increase or decrease (usually when there is a decrease during a cycle for any reason) which can/will cause spotting or breakthrough bleeding.  
In early pregnancy there is a tendency to have what is known as Implantation bleeding.  It can vary from spotting, brown discharge or even red blood.  
If there is a possibility that you could be pregnant, and you are worried about not testing because it may be too early (one should wait for a missed period) you can certainly ask your doctor to have a beta hCG blood test, which will detect the pregnancy hormone as early as the first day that your body produces hCG which is immediately after implantation.  So, if you are worried that the spotting could be from implantation bleeding, it is quite possible to detect a pregnancy through blood work.  It is still early but if you have in fact implanted from pregnancy that your body will be producing it's first or minute amounts of hCG and a blood test will determine if there is ANY hCG in your system at all.  This is much more effective than any home pregnancy test and also can definitely answer whether you are pregnant or not.  So long as you are not menopausal (which I assume not since you are still having periods) the test results with blood work are accurate.
Once you learn the answer you can decide what to do, but until that time, don't stress yourself out unnecessarily.  Despite popular belief, it is a lot harder to conceive than most people think, unless you are very young and extremely fertile.  Even without protection (please do not use this as a form of birth control in future) the percentage of possibility of pregnancy without protection is only around 30%.  So it's tougher than most think.  Having said that, it is not impossible.
I hope that I have given you some perspective, and some hope that you are not pregnant.  Here is a great chart for future reference if you do decide to test using a HPT (Home pregnancy test).  Because I know that if you test negative, you will likely still worry.
http://www.babymed.com/pregnancy-symptoms/negative-hpt-could-i-still-be-pregnant
Please do let me know if I can of be further help.
Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Down syndrome Community Leader & Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator
you dont have to wait 2 weeks after your missed period, a pregnancy test can work as early as 5 days BEFORE your missed period.

some people get spooting when they ovulate, others  before there period and it could also be implantation spooting.

i also had cramping and was really sleepy before i was supposed to expect my period with this pregnancy, but all those symptoms can also be normal before your period is due.

so it could be that your period is comming or it may be a sing that you may be pregnant

i guess you should wait to see if you get your period, i you dont you should test using first morning urine.

This is what my EPT says:

-4 days before your missed period: 53%  accurate
-3 days before your missed period: 74%  accurate
-2 days before your missed period: 84%  accurate
-1 day before your missed period:  87%   accurate
The first day of your missed period  99% accurate.
I did take next choice (the morning after pill) about 5 days ago because we had an accident, do you think that may have anything to do with my brownish discharge? ???
yes, i once took plan b and about 7 days later i had spooting and about 2 weeks later i got my period, actually after that my cycles changed and remained like that for a long time, now im pregnant i hope they regulate after.
I had a miscarriage in August  27-13 and started back try after my first cycle on the 23 of September now I was spotting and then it turn into brownish discharge only when I wipe its aalmost seem like its a lot....im suppose have a period between the 20-25 its normal the22...im having unprotected sex cause I do wanna get pregnant..but I dont feel any symptoms as if I am already pregnant(though I wanna be) what so I assume/do
I'm in the same vote at the moment was just wondering what yours turned out to be? It's about a week before my period and a week ago I had a brown lite discharge for 5 days it's finished now but I'm still concerned. Iv been on the same pill for 4 years and never bad anything like this I'm not stressed or have any change to my diet, it's probably nothing but just a bit concerned any help would be great.