Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Can I take medicine for my cold? - im 20 weeks preggers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

I have a nasty cold right now and I was wondering if it was safe to take any medicines. My pregnancy is High Risk because of our infertility and also now because we are having twins. Any suggested for cold medicine that is safe to take? I've been drinking lots of water and soup and hot tea but it doesnt seem to be helping at all. I know I should get lots of rest but last night I was coughing so much I only slept for about 3 1/2 hours!! Any suggestions anyone??
The only thing I was ever told you could take is Benadryl, but some have said they've taken sudafed. I'd call the dr and ask what he/she recommends for you, and not take anything until then. Every person/dr is different.
all Tylenol products are safe to use. benadryl is too. I would call your doctor and ask just to be sure
Tylenol itself is safe but you would need to check with your doctor before taking Tylenol cough medicine, etc.  You can call Walgreens, CVS, etc. and ask a pharmacist if your doctor is not available.
Tylenol is safe, benedryl is ok, and most sudafed products your dr will tell you that you need to be out of your first trimester, which you are so I would just call your Dr and ask to make sure.
this is a list of medications that are safe to take while pregnant, just erase the spaces

http://women.webmd .com/pharmacist-drugs-medication-9  /pregnancy-medicine

but especially since your high risk i would call your ob and see what they suggest. I've had two horrible colds (just getting over the second) since i got pregnant, the first one i didnt take anything since i was still in my first trimester, around 9 weeks, and this time i took regular tylenol for my head aches and drank hot water with lemon and honey. My ob ***** and can never get them to call me back.  

also be careful of what kind of tea you drink especially if its herbal, i was dying for one of my favorite teas but when i looked it up there are a few herbs you shouldnt ingest while pregnant in it. its hard to find an herbal tea you can drink while pregnant as alot of them have the same 2-3 types of herbs in it that we shouldnt have.

Hope you feel better soon!
Hey honey I just got over the cold you have :( I took Nyquil at night and Tylenol cold during the day. For cough you can take guafinisian (musinex) and cough drops. I also was so congested w sinus stuff I tried saline nose drops but it didn't work so I used original afrin which was also safe. If you worry about taking anything till you talk to your dr then just take some benadryl tonight so you can hopefully sleep. Feel better!  OH and humidifier fabulous!!  Really helps :). Sending big hugs to you!  

When I was sick I had my hubby go to Walgreens and ask the pharmacist what to take and they told him what was safe in pregnancy. You can always try that.
Xoxo
Thank you ladies! My doctor prescribed me a Z pak to take for about 4 days. It's supposed to clear out all of that yucky mucus. She said I was safe to take any cold medicines as long as it wasnt the kind to make you drowsy because I guess it has alcohol in it! Thanks for all of the responses. Today im finally starting to feel a little back to normal :)
I would get a second opinion as there are alot of cold medications that are not safe to take during pregnancy. I cant believe you doc told you that. I would check with a pharmacyst as they actually know more about medications than doctors. Hope you feel better.
I agree with sprarah...there's a lot of stuff you shouldn't take. I honestly can't believe your dr said they're all ok either...