Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Can an ultrasound miss a twin?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Can an ultrasound miss a twin?

Hi everyone!

I'm 32 weeks pregnant and I've been faithfully going to all of my prenatal check-ups and having all of the standard tests to check for the health of my unborn son.  Early in pregnancy I had 4 ultrasounds because of some bleeding that I had.  My last ultrasound was at 19 weeks.  Everything looked great.  Baby boy is very healthy.

Just recently I went to my 32 week check-up.  I went to another Dr. on staff because my normal Dr. was on-call at the hospital.  This Dr. placed the fetal doppler on the right hand side of my tummy and got a strong heartbeat right away.  I was surprised because normally the heartbeat is heard on the far left when I see my Dr.  I figured the little guy must've changed positions.  However, when I got home that same night I used my own fetal doppler (which is just like my Dr.'s) to listen to the heartbeat.  I now hear two heartbeats!  One on the far right of my stomach (up high) and one on the left (down low).  

My question is this...  Can I possibly be pregnant with twins and not know it??  How could a twin be missed on ultrasound.  Not just one ultrasound, but several?  Am I hearing an echo of just the one heartbeat?  I'm looking forward to calling my Dr. on Monday to get more info.
I think it is just an echo your baby is in water and hardly do you ever miss a twin on an ultrasound.
by 19 weeks they should have seen the other baby if it was there. you can request another u/s at 32 weeks they would definitely see a second baby. they were actually able to see both of my boogers at 9 weeks.