PREGNANCY 18-24
COMMUNITY
Can drinking too much water dilute your pregnancy test?
by shelliefoster24, Jun 03, 2008
Hi- As of today my period is going on 5 days late. I took a pregnancy test this morning, but it was negative. I thought I read somewhere that drinking a lot of fluids can dilute your urine and affect the results of a pregnancy test. I drink about 5-6 glasses of water a day while I'm at work, then I drink 2-3 glasses of decaf tea when I get home at night. I'm just wondering if what I read could be true? I've never been this late on my period, my normal cycle is 27 days, and I've rarely had times where it was 29 or 30 days, but today is day 31. (I'm counting the day I missed my period, the 27th day, as the first day of being late). I'm going to take another test tomorrow or the next day if I still don't get my period. I was just sure though the test would be accurate if I'm 5 days late. I know stress can affect your period but I'm not stressed at all about anything, and stress has never affected my cycle in the past. Anyway, has anyone heard of this? Thanks for your help!
Member Comments (18)
by chitten, Jun 03, 2008
Did you drink this morning before testing? Did you use the first wee of the day?
by KM604, Jun 03, 2008
Drinking too much water can dilute your urine, but usually your morning urine is the best to test with.  The test may be accurate, but some women don't get positive results as soon as others.  A blood test would be the most accurate, so I would contact your doctor if period doesn't come.
by Brittny27, Jun 03, 2008
Yes drinking to much can dilute your urine thats why they say to use FIRST MORNING URINE. Or hold your urine at LEAST 4 hours.  I know when I was pregnant I was unable to hold it for 4 hours. I held it for almost 3 and got my +.  

If you don't get a + tomorrow when you test again you might want to go to your Dr. for a blood test. Your hormone level might not be high enough to read on a HPT.  
by spade22, Jun 03, 2008
Yes, if your urine is too dilute it will be harder to pick up HCG.  However, using first morning urine, which tends to be more concentrated, should give you a reasonably accurate result since the majority of fluids you drink throughout the day/evening have been passed and the urine will re-concentrate overnight.

There are a number of reasons why your period could be late.  I would suggest you wait until the weekend and retest w/ FMU using a sensitive HPT if you dont have your period by then.
by bioclock1, Jun 03, 2008
i' had a coworker who also had a regular like clockwork 28 day cycle. she's 34 and when she missed her period she KNEW she was pregnant but didn't get a positive until a week later!

Wishing you luck!
by shelliefoster24, Jun 03, 2008
Yes, I did use first morning urine. Well, I'm thinking if I don't start today I'll take another test in the morning, and maybe still get a blood test if it still says negative. Thanks for all your help! I'm just confused because every now and then my period will be a couple days later than usual, so it may just be a weird thing this month, but then again maybe not! Well, I will keep everyone posted if I find out I am! :)
by shelliefoster24, Jun 04, 2008
well...i took another test this morning, still negative, but still no period. im 6 days late now! im off work tomorrow (closing on our first house and moving!) so im going to go to the doctor early early to get a blood test done. i dont have any symptoms though... wish me luck!
by tarajanes, Jun 04, 2008
Its very possible you ovulated later than you normally do,there is no set date each month a women ovulates.anything could have delayed it,hence why the late period.but then again maybe you are preggers,wishing you the best of luck !!!!!
by Brittny27, Jun 04, 2008
good luck and hopefully you will get your BFP!!