Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Can sneezing and blowing your nose harm the baby?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Hi ladies...This might seem like a silly question but I am concerned...can sneezing (a lot) and blowing your nose hurt the baby...I'm only 8 weeks and whenever I sneeze I get a pain in what feels like my uterus...My allergies are soo bad and I am trying to go medication free and just suffer but not sure if suffering is harming the baby?  The last time I was pregnant, I used benadryl but I had a mc...I decided this time around I wanted to go as natural as possible (no tylenol, no caffeine, no meds etc. until time for delivery...I will take all the meds they can give me lol).
dont feel bad, i had pnemonia (pneumonia)(sp?) at 3 months and was scared to death of the same thing, but its ok nothing like that can hurt the baby. the pain you feel is a strecthed muscle for sneezing so much while your body is changing to accomadate the baby=) just try and take it easy, itll pass, and if you feel to cruddy take meds, because remeber no meds is good but if your really sick you can harm the baby more by not using meds to get better and being sick longer!
feel better hun!
It is just allergies so it is not like I have a fever or infection...luckily I have the weekend off so I can sneeze and be gross all I want lol BUT If it is still in full force Monday I might have to take a benadryl...I used to take a prescription for allergies but gave it up with my first pregnancy last year and decided to stay off it while ttc.

Oh, pneumonia sounds scarier than allergies...glad you and Draeven made it just fine!

Thanks!
No it can't! But it might hurt your belly and the ligaments supporting your uterus.
i have had allergies and sneezing throughout my pregnancy and have been sneezing like crazy during my last month or so!  my baby is fine.  she probably likes the rocking and bouncing that the sneezes cause ;-)
...just a side note--the worst that has happened to me with the sneezing is that it has caused me to pee myself several times!!!  tmi--but very true and something you may want to watch out for!!  hehe.
I understand what you mean!!! I had a bad cold, and everytime i sneezed i was scared something bad woud happen because i would get a pain in my uterus.
It is scary!  Luckily the sneezing has subsided and I seem to just have a runny nose...still hopeful it is 'just' allergies BUT I did have a child in school with a head 'cold' and a fever for a few days last week!  Seriously...keep your kids home if they are sick...if you cannot sacrifice days off then maybe you shouldn't have kids...RANT RANT RANT!  
The pain could be round ligament pain,  try leaning slightly forward when you sneeze or cough it really helps. :-D
Omg i have the same pain when i sneeze. I be soo scared
Ladies this post is four years old. Remember to check the date on the post when you reply, and if you have a question/concern then start a new post. Older posts often get skipped over and if you post a question/concern on an older one it may not be addressed.