Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Carnival Rides While Pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Carnival Rides While Pregnant

Yesterday I went to a kiddie amusement park. I went on all the kiddie rides with my 3 year old niece, including a kids rollercoaster, bumper cars and some spinning ride that made you dizzy. I never thought there would be any harm in it since the rides were so small and targeted for such young kids. It wasn't until afterwards that my sister mentioned to me I shouldn't have went, and that she wasn't permitted to go on any rides, even kiddie ones, while at Canada's Wonderland. The workers at the park never warned against it, although they were just young kids themselves.

My internet seach on the subject has freaked me out and I can't help but worry if I have done some damage by being on the rides. I have used my doppler and the baby's heartbeat sounds fine but I am still feeling tender in my belly, but that could be from me over analyzing it too..

The internet talks of placenta abruption - where the placenta will detach from the uterus and says  this is the risk with the movement on the rides. I'm not sure how much movement is needed for this to occur. The rides were kiddie rides so we weren't getting thrown around like we would if we were on adult rides, however, there was jerks turns etc, and small bumps on the little bumper cars..  

Has anybody talked to their doctor on this subject or been in the same situation? I am 22 weeks pregnant.
Was baby okay?  I went on a carnival ride with my toddler today without even thinking of the repercussions to the unborn baby but now, hours afterward, i feel really queasy.

Was all okay with your pregnancy?
I have heard different things about this, so I am not really sure. I have had doctors say that the kiddie rides are fine, but the adult ones are not, and then some doctors say no rides at all. It will be interesting what others have to say as I am taking my son to the county fair at the end of October. :)
It's not safe and here in the UK, you are stopped from going on rides by the ride attendant if pregnant. They were negligent in their duties to not stop you especially with bumper cars. There are also signs on rides to say they are unsuitable for pregnant women. Bumper cars are a no-no because your bump can get banged hard, but as this did not happen you should be fine. The risk of damage to your baby is there if you actually knock or hurt your bump. Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much if you are feeling well in yourself and if your bump was not hurt. You'll just have to learn from it and stay off them next time. Don't worry though hun, as you have not hurt bump.

I wouldn't worry too much about it hun, although rides are a NO NO when pregnant and I definitely wouldn't recommend that you did it again, I don't think that you did any harm. I would think that its like falling... I've always been told that the biggest risk is within 1-2 hours after the fall, thats when abruption, pre term labor, or anything else would most likely happen.
If you are really concerned you may want to put a call into your Dr. and see if they will get you in for a quick scan just to check and make sure all is still well (also another chance to peek at your little one!).
Whatever you do, don't beat yourself up over this. We've all made mistakes before when we didn't know any better, and stress is no good for you or your baby.
Good Luck and let us know how things go.
the other day was at the houston rodeo and I rode an adult drop ride. I didn't know I was pregnant. I had taken two test about two weeks ago and both were negative. But today 4 were positive and 2 were very faint positive signs, I am so worried!