Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Castor oil cocktail?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Castor oil cocktail?

Has anyone heard of this? I was looking up ways to help naturally induce labor and came across this. Its like 30ml castor oil 30ml orange juice and 30ml vodka taken 3 times in a 2 hour space of time. Ive never really thought of taking castor oil since I heard it can cause major bowel discomfort but apparently the vodka is supposed to stop that from happening. Plus since vodka is an obvious no-no its given in such small amounts to not damage anything but it isnt recommended to take more than stated for that reason. Has anyone heard of or tried this and did it work? If I coukd get away with trying castor oil without running the risk of pooping my pants I might try it but I dont want to if it is too dangerous...
nothing will help induce labor.  it will happen on its own.  There are soo many myths about how to start it but they are just that.  I research this topic too when i was pregnant...i was hoping to help labor along......
besides,If you do take castor oil and happen to go into labor do you really want to have diareah (sp) while trying to push out your baby? lol
Good luck
I used raspberry leaf tablets and I was from New Zealand so I used a natural spray called naturophram prebirth spray.  My son was 2 days early and my daughter was 12 days early.  I'm not sure if they helped but my labours progressed well and I did it drug free.  Sex and walking is always really good.
I used castor oil orange juice and vanilla icecream it taste like orange creamcycle I had 2 or 3 contractions and a lot of diahrea but that was it for another week then I got induce at the hosplital at 39 weeks
My friend tried it and all it did was give her diarhea (diarrhea).
That is why this post is about the vodka part since it is supposed to make you not get the bowel movements associated with castor oil. I would never take castor oil because of the whole pooping thing but was wondering if anyone took it with vodka and if it really didnt make them have the runs.
Castor oil is DANGEROUS to take during pregnancy for mother and baby.  Mixing castor oil with alcohol is even riskier!
Take it from me, I tried it with my youngest.. CASTOR OIL IS BRUTAL!!!!!! It will just make you cramp really bad, even contract a little, but then give you massive poops! And NEVER mix it with alcohol.......
I'm not too sure how the vodka would stop you from going to the bathroom. Castor oil I thought was basically a laxitive and I don't know of anything that stops that. Besides. I thought that the point of the bowel movements was to help your contractions start. (I'm not 100% sure of this though. I just remember reading it all once)
Most of the time all you end up with is the massive poops.... I wouldn't advise it and neither would a Dr. or midwife.... Bowel movements can help, but if you want to spend your entire laboring process on the toilet I would not recommend it.
I came across something about labour cookies the other day....google it...I'm sure it'll come up.
Castor oil sounds like the most terrible thing....I can't see how vodka could take away what effects it would have on your bowels. Sounds like a terrible concoction!
I have read it somewhere online, but I'm not sure if I would try it. I did hear it works great to induce labor. If you do try it and it works, let me know!!
Minus the castor oil that sounds delicious ;). Even the thought of castor oil makes me feel like i have to poop a little lol
and still no answers on the vodka thing... im going to ask my doctor about the vodka part next time im in there. i used the castor oil, ice cream and orange juice thing and it worked beautifully for me. I drank it at 1pm and my water broke at 10pm. i never pooped once. (not sure about post epidural though) I plan to do it again with this baby but I am very curious about the vodka part. I didn't have any accidents with the lsat one but that doesnt mean I won't with this one. I know this post is over a year old but I will find an answer anyway for those who research it in the future and stumble upon this as i did.  I did read that some say it can cause the baby to swallow meconium, possibly resulting in pneumonia in the lungs but it is strongly debated by most doctors and chalked up to be nothing more than a wives tale created by those who are opposed to self inducing. there is no proof that babies have a higher risk of swallowing meconium because castor oil is involved.
I haven't read what anyone else has said because there is so much. My Dr. told me yesterday when I was asking about natural ways to induce labor..She said sex and castor oil. She said with castor oil it is 2oz. castor oil mixed with OJ (but she didn't tell me how much) and then eat a reese's cup afterward...lol. not sure why? She said she wouldn't do it until I was 40 weeks though and that it is completely safe, and to wait until after the diarrhea subsides to see if it's actually worked.
And I don't think that Vodka is a good idea. I have never heard of using it to induce labor, and I personally am too paranoid to even have 1 drink while being pregnant. I didn't even drink on my 21st birthday while pregnant. But that's just me.
@ Lacy5229 I asked my Dr. about it making the baby poop and she said that this is false..her exact words..."That is not true, castor oil makes YOU poop, not the baby."