Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Chances of another early baby

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Chances of another early baby

For those who have given birth to a baby born early, was your second baby early too?  My water broke & I delivered right before I turned 37 weeks and my baby was only 4 lbs 14 oz. (4 1/2 lbs when we left the hospital!)  I read that there is only a 25% chance of another early birth but I wanted to see what your experiences were.  I also had several complications during pregnancy including an amniotic fluid leak that healed itself at 21 wks-if you have one complicated preg, was your 2nd one just has complicated?
I had my first son at 28 weeks. and having a baby at 37 weeks is not considered early, after 37 weeks you are considered full term.  My second son was born at 36 weeks, and now on my third pregency things are going ok, but there is a 11 year difference between my second child and this one, my first baby who was born at 28 weeks is now 15yrs.. Every pg is different, so the odds of you delivering early with this one is not any greater because you already had a baby a few weeks early.  Just be careful with yourself and you should be fine..  You may deliver early just because of the complications you are having, but dont let that stress you out, technology now a days will keep your baby healthy, and you will need to be strong for a roller coaster ride.  But relax and enjoy your tummy for now.. Dont stress out or you will have that baby early..
I know after 37 is full term-What worries me is that she was born at 36 wks 5 days and was so small-smaller than a normal baby born at that time...if my next baby is early or earlier-their weight worries me.  I am a small girl and my mom had small babies...my mom also had her babies earlier and earlier each time. I am hoping that the next one will stay in longer.  She had lots of trouble gaining weight...BTW, not preg yet...I'll be testing in a few days :0)
wow! that is small for nearly 37 weeks!  I have friends that gave birth early (early being anything before your due date) and their 2nd babies were born either the same time or a littlle earlier.  Hopefully you wont experience that next pregnancy!  Good luck on your bfp!
My 1st son was full term at 38wks, my 2nd was born at 30wks, so now with this pregnancy my OB is taking no chances.  He told me that since I had a history of a preterm baby and a history of multiple miscarriages that we would take all of the necessary steps to prevent another preterm delivery.  I see him (OB) once every two weeks, a perinatologist every two weeks, and I have a nurse that comes by once a week.  I thank God for a thorough OB he's been great through all of the miscarriages and everything, but if I'm not mistaken the chances of a preterm baby do increase once you've had one.  Just for that reason he also has me taking weekly progrestrone shots.  Every person and pregnancy is different and if this is your usual OB then he should know your history and how to treat you accordingly so if I were you I wouldn't worry too much about it.  If you're not starting off with any complications and your u/s havent shown any cause for concern then you're ok.  Good luck!
Thanks for responding. I'm really curious as to how many people deliver earlier than their first.  To me, any baby born before their due date is early-I know it's not medically considered early but you know what I mean.  I wish I could have kept her in until 40 weeks (I loved being preg except for the bed rest)

I LOVE my OB and she just left the practice! :(  I am interviewing other Ob's trying to find one that will be like my previous.  I've had one m/c and one chemical. My baby measured a week small through my whole pregnancy & lots of complications...

I'm sure the next one for you will do great!  That's awesome you have a doc on top of it!  Did they tell you why your 2nd baby came so early?
I think in your situation it would depend on why you had your baby early.  Certain conditions tend to be repeat themselves during your next pregnancy.  Im sorry to hear about you losing your OB.  When I became pregnant the second time my OB died of a heart attack the day before my first appointment.  I felt so comfortable in his care and never found anyone that filled his shoes.  This was such a disappointment to start my pregnancy with.  Good luck finding a new OB and hopefully one will fit what you're looking for  :)
Take Care
Kris
Thanks for replying.  I WAS SO sad she left!  She spent so much time with me!  She had great bedside manners.  I had an amniotic fluid leak at 21 weeks!  I was put on strict bedrest and it healed itself.  I went to the hosp w/no baby movement...they thought I was leaking again but it was an inconclusive test-they hooked me up & I was dilated and having contractions that I did not feel...sent home for bedrest again...so the fact that my water broke at 36 wks 5 days makes me think I had a delicate sac...who knows?  They did not seem concerned as they did not send my placenta in to be examined...

I'm sure I'll be great next time!  Hopefully just a BIGGER baby!
My first DS was born on his due date, which was cool and unexpected :) My second DS though, put me in labor at 34w4d, and they made me wait until 35 days, and he was healthy. I am 31 weeks now with my DD (yay) and have been stressing the early factor myself, and I also have a different ob, as we moved to a different state recently, so I feel off too, and have had all kinds of questions for my docs! But, they have my records, they have concerns and share them with me, and are keeping a close eye on me...that's about all you can do. They don't EXPECT me to go early just because I did before, but they still keep a close watch. I would say as long as you pick an ob that has the same concerns and will give you the attention you deserve, you should be fine. Just take it one day at a time, and remember that every pg is different, and one early one doesn't mean they all will be!! Good luck on getting there girl!!
i had my daughter at 36wks she weighed 6lbs. 7oz my son was also born at 36wks and he was 6lbs. 6 oz. so it is possible that your second child could be early but every pregnancy is different. good luck!