Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Child birth classes?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Child birth classes?

I'm a FTM I'm 32 weeks tomorrow. I keep getting mixed signals about the child birth classes...what do you ladies think? Has anyone taken them? Are they worth the money? Are they a waste of time? I'm really confused my doctors office offers them but the class is $90 money is tight right now...I'm gonna be off work for 3 months soon! Lol advice please!!
Check with your hospital and see if they provide any classes, or a local community center. I personally never took any classes, but I did attend a class with a good friend of mine some time ago, so I didn't really feel the need to go. But it's totally up to you. Women have been having babies way before books, classes or the internet. I think its always a good idea to be aware of things, so I read a lot and looked things up online. Oh also spoke to women who experienced it, but everyone is different and so is their experience. My hospital does a tour of the maternity ward, I do however plan on doing that. Which reminds me, I should probably call and see when I can go.
I went to all mine, although living in Scotland we don't have to pay for them - I'm not sure I would have went if I had to pay for them as money tight here too, but I did find them useful - the Breastfeeding one and the Labour one in particular, they talked about the different stages and the pain meds available, what happens etc etc - if you really can't afford them, the Baby Centre website has some really good information and videos you can look at for the same info x
Yeah I'm just thinking that if this is a class showing me videos I've watched those on YouTube I read my what to expect book faithfully and I've witnessed a birth. I don't want them to teach me how to "breathe" when one I can end up having a c section or two I'm almost sure I'm not going to be able to follow that in the moment. Lol  the class is through my doctors office through my hospital. The other classes in the area are maybe $10 cheaper so probably won't do it
Mine were free but I would definitely pay to do it again
I am a ftm nd was gonna go to.a labor and delivery class thro planned paranthood it.was only $10. But I was the onlg one who signed up so it.got cancled lol Ive read books tho and the Dr and midwifes will help. If money's tight I wouldn't
I just did the classes last weekend and its a lot of information...overwhelming the first day for me and esp for my fiance lol but I would def recommend them.  I learned soooo much...plus i learned a lot of breathing/relaxation techniques.
Just depends I guess, I never felt like I needed them. To me it probably would have been a waste of money and time. I read alot and was educated on everything by the time I went into labor but some women find it indispensable and very informative so I guess it depends on how you feel, good luck mama :)
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers