Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Cigarette Smoke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Cigarette Smoke

Alright. I do not smoke. My boyfriends grandma smokes and I know usually when your pregnant that the smell of cigarette smoke makes some people sick or gag. Only difference with me is that I smell it more than I did before now that I'm pregnant. The thing is is that my boyfriend and I live with his grandma right now she might move out later but it really depends. So I'm just really really really concerned for me and my baby's health. My boyfriend and I went and got information pamphlets on second hand smoke to give to his grandma. Cause shes really nice and concerned about me and the baby. But she seems to be more concerned about everything but the secondhand smoke. But she does want to quit and has been cutting back but is there anything I can do in the meantime while shes quitting to help her quit and help keep me and my baby safe? I already have asthma from my mom smoking around me as child and I don't want our baby to experience what I did with the asthma and ear infections and bronchitis etc. Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated as I'm VERY concerned I don't want our baby to have asthma and I don't want to increase our risk for cancer. Please help
Is it possible for her to at least not smoke in the house? If she doesn't quite right away or doesn't want to, ask her nicely to "consider" at least smoking outside of the house. If she is concerned about the baby, it sounds like she would be more likely to do this..... Good luck! :)
Does she smoke in the house?
Yes, definitely ask her to smoke outside while you're pregnant.  If she isn't willing to then you need to re-examine your living situation.
I would ask her nicely to smoke outside until she moves out. I know that might sound rude to her but you need to have a smoke free environment. Let her know that you & her grandson are serious about it.
She does smoke outside. But literally right outside-outside the door to the house. And most of the time she will open the door or not even shut the door. So I can still smell the smoke and the wind blows it in the house. Then when she comes in the house when she talks I literally see the smoke come out of her mouth and it just worries me. She read the pamphlets and told me she wants to quit and wants me to help her. But only time will tell how serious she is. It just is very unfortunate because he husband passed (my boyfriends grandma just about two weeks ago) so we dont want to leave her alone right now. So we're all living together and she helps us until we can get our own place. If she still living with us by the time our baby comes and is still smoking I dont think Im going to be nice about her smoking. She WILL smoke outside and keep the door shut or she will not be able to be around our baby. Cause I dont want our baby to have any extra health problems like I did. But shes really nice and says she wants to quit. I just dont know if she will. I hope she does I really do. Otherwise we'll have to either not live together anymore or something.