Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Contractions or baby?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Contractions or baby?

I have been having some pressure and discomfort in my lower abdominal area along with the feeling that my little girl is balling up in my tummy. It gets harder on the right side than on the left side but I can clearly feel the top of my uterus when it happens.  

I don't know if it's just her, or if they are contractions. I'm kind of paranoid too because with my 1st my labor was only two hours, which they consider a risk factor as it would be hard to stop preterm labor if it started. I really feel dumb for not knowing especially since this is baby number 2. It has also been almost 4 years since my 1st though.

What do you ladies think??
I'm not sure which you are feeling but wanted to tell you don't feel dumb.  I am on baby number 2 as well and can't tell whether i have been having braxton hicks contractions or its the baby.  My baby is VERY active so i never can tell.  maybe you should try timing it and see if it is close enough to be real contractions, or you could call your doctor and ask.  Sorry i couldn't be more help....but your not alone LOL  I feel like i am going to be a first time mom all over again and my daughter is only 2
I'm almost 37 weeks and I still have a hard time telling the difference between the baby pushing out on my belly or BH! You are not alone. Like Skylynns_mom said, try timing them and see how close they are. If it seems to be happening too often, you should call your doc so they are aware of it. Also, if it seems like it's only hard on one side, that could just be the baby. That happens to me. My lil guy likes to kick off one side and push his back out on my right side, I can usually tell it's a BH if my whole entire belly tightens and sometimes it even takes my breath away.
Thank you ladies!! I am probably just being paranoid. It's mostly the pressure I have in my pelvis that worries me. It increases when it happens. They are not regular if they are contractions and it's been happening since yesterday.

Thanks again!!
More than likely it is contractions and the reason you feel a "balling up on one side" is because the contractions are basically squeezing your baby (don't worry, they actually like it... like a massage!) and because they squeeze baby, you feel their head or butt clearly during a contraction.

Braxton Hicks are GOOD becuase it means your body is prepping for labor and delivery. Braxton Hicks have been known to begin as early as 5 weeks pregnant, so don't fret!