Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Copper IUD and missed period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Copper IUD and missed period

I have had my copper IUD for over two years now and never had a problem till now. I have always had reg. periods that last 5- 7 days. Well last month my period was so very light and only last 3 days and this month I haven't had one at all. I'm about 2 1/2 weeks late. I'm worried because with each of my pregnancies this happend but I never used and form of birth control. I took two test and both came back neg. and suggestions?
Hi,  How long have you had the IUD in place??  I would definitly call your dr and get checked out.  I had mine in for almost 6 yrs(i think could have been 7).  It sounds like somthing is going on with your cycle.  At the very least they can do a blood test to rule out pregnancy.

Good luck
Kazwel
yes, call your doctor. I've actually been considering having a copper IUD after this baby. (my first). I plan on waiting 2 years til my next one.
Hi, I am happy to have come across this site and just decided to repost this on here, instead of retyping it all. I was reading all the way from the beginning, then skipped lots in between..just too much women all with the same issues. I have had my Nova-T copper IUD(canadian kind, but only good for 3-5 years) in for 1 1/2 years now. I have had abnormal periods in the past, but since I had this IUD inserted, I have had a very heavy 7 day period at least every 4 if not 6 weeks when it was late.....but always very very heavy from the IUD. Now concerns have risen, since my last period was in the end of December. I have been waiting patiently, just thinking it will be a little late, but will come shortly. So, in the beginning of this month I had no cramps, but very light spotting for four days and also some dark brown blood at times...very little though. After that it just never came. so I was unsure if to consider that a period or not. Definately not the heavy period I am use to since the time I had the IUD inserted. I have two young boys, 2yrs and 5yrs, so I know spotting can happen when u are pregnant. I have been having sore breasts and eating lots, so just too confused. ON the 18th of this month I went in for my 6 month pap(6 month follow up after having a leep procedure done in August/cutting off bad cervical cells) I told my doctor my conerns, so they just did a urine test and she said it is very odd chances of getting pregnant, almost none. She said to have missed or no periods are normal, but then I told her my IUD was not a Mirena with hormones as I knew she thought mine was. She said the strings I had on this IUD, look like a mirena IUD, so that is why she probably said that..knowing the hormones in the Mirena may cause no periods. I told her( I am in states now by the way), that in Canada the copper IUD is not the same as the one here. She just said the urine test was negative and not to worry. I asked her if I could come in a month. She looked at me annoyed and said if I feel like I want to, but the strings are still there and there is no chances of pregnancy. I am paronoid, esp. in 2003, I had an ectopic pregnancy, but had no IUD at that time. I am so confused and sleepless at nights. I am worried and not sure if I should take her word, or start going out and buying my own pg tests and do every few weeks to make sure till a period returns. It is just too strange. I was thinking, maybe it was just too early and I will for sure rebook an appointment with her in a month to make sure, and ask her to do another pregnancy test or even better, a blood test. I can tell she does not appreciate me telling her what to do, but I feel she just does not take me seriously enough and see the chances are there even if I have an IUD and really thinks I am over board. Has anyone else had a copper IUD, missed a period like me and showed up negative on the urine test? Do you think it may just be too ealry? I will pray, and either way me and my husband will have to deal with it.
My story is just like yours. Last month my period was a couple days early and light flow and only lasted three days. And this month I am four days late. I have had the copper IUD for almost two years and have always had a 28 day cycle for 5-7 days. I am very very regular.  So I am worried I am pregnant. What happened to you? Did you end up being prego or have periods just becoming irregularly?
Did your period came or were you pregnant? I have had the copper t for a little over a year now and my period was regular until now , it is 3 weeks late now and I just went to the doctor and she said it might be stress and they took blood to check my hormone balance and thyroid , she also did a pregnancy test ( urine) which was negative...I just don't feel good about it and I'm worried, and sleepless ...just waiting for the blood work now. I hope everything is ok ....
OMG im sooo glad I found this forum!! I have been going through exactly the same!! I have had the copper IUD for about 2 years and my periods have been fine untill now. Im 8 days late atm and ive done 3 tests (all neg) I also just got thrush which I never have and i feel so bloated and sicky. I just wanted to know im not the only one going through this. Im going to call my Dr on Monday morning and get checked out. I hope everything is well with you guys. Keep us posted :) xx
Just also found this forum while a little freaked out that my period is now as well late by 5 days. I too have the paragaurd copper IUD and had it inserted about 6 months ago. I tested this am and was negative. I have had symptoms of my period, cramping, moods, more oily around my chin etc.. Getting ready for one but nothing! My fear is doubled though as I had a gastric surgery about 8 months ago and have been steadily losing weight, in my mind I can justify that the weight loss, severe changes to my body , the fact that I'm stressed, and even that I've never been a regular period. But after the IUD was placed I was fairly regular the last 6 months within a few days each month they last 5-7 very heavy very ugly periods. I just can't sleep or stop worrying.
I have had the copper t for 3 years now. I have had the same thing happen many times and am going through it right now. It is very common for the copper t to cause missed/late periods. I am 11 days late and still find myself here even though I have gone through it before. Before I go the copper t I had my period every 28 days and it always lasted 3 days. Since I got it, I go through spouts where it's no where near regular. Normally it's pretty regular but I do get those months that will be late, extremely heavy bleeding, or just spotting. It freaks me out everytime. I have not taken a pregnacy test this time but every other time it was always negative. I'm planning my wedding so I am under a lot of stress and I'm sure this is happening because of stress and the iud. My point is no matter how long you have the iud you will always freak out, but try to wait 3-4 weeks before testing because most of time it's just because of the iud or things going on in your life. If you research the way the iud works it is extremely unlikely to get pregnant with it. Yes it is possible but the chances are so very small.
I just wanted to explain how the copper t works for those of you that do not know. I found out of this out by doing my own research through several different places because usually a dr will not explain everything to you or they do not explain in a way you can understand. First off there is a reason it is called a Copper T. The iud is made of copper and shaped like a T. The reason is made of copper is because copper actually kills sperm. The fluids inside your body kill a lot of sperm the moment it is introduced the copper helps to kill the rest. It is shaped like a T because the top part of the is attached to your uterus where an egg would typically attach itself. That way even if your fluid and the copper didn't kill all the sperm and an egg did get fertalized it usually will not attach to the uterine wall. It is possible for the egg to attach to another part of the uterine wall but is unlikely and usually when this happens there is a miscarrage (miscarriage) becuase the fetus cannot receive what is need through it's location. This all contributes to why it is more likely to have an eptopic pregnancy while you have an iud. If the egg cannot attach to the uterine wall sometimes it will attach to the folopian tube (eptopic pregnancy). This can be very dangerous and needs to be taken care of right away. Although an eptopic pregnancy is more likely with women that have an iud that doesn't mean it's going to happen. The Copper T along with your body kills almost of the sperm and in most women even if an egg does get fertalized if it cannot attach to the right spot on uterine wall usually it is simply discharged when you get your period. I know it can still be scary even though I have all this information I'm still scared when I am late but the less you stress about it the quicker you will get your period if you truly are not pregnant.