Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Cord around babys neck @ 15weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Cord around babys neck @ 15weeks

Hello ladies, I went to the Dr. today to ck on my Cerclage that was done last week its good the surgery went well. Now the Dr. did an U/S and the cord is around hes neck he said not to worry it happends all the time because the baby moves around a lot but will it come off hes un rap from it if he moves im just scared the Dr. said he migth move around today and untangle from his neck what do you guys think im 15w and 2days............. Thank you.............. Share this:Facebook Twitter
Babies can have that cord wrapped around several times and be fine. Cord accidents typically happen when the cord is so compressed no oxygen or nutrients reach baby (this can happen in the form of true knots or cord prolapse). There is this gel-like substance in the cord that help keep the blood vessels open in the event baby does get the cord wrapped around their neck. It is more common than rare for a baby to be born with the cord wrapped around, sometimes more than once.

You must also remember that babies don't breathe oxygen like we do. Having a cord wrapped around their head isn't strangling them from breathing. The cord itself is providing them with oxygen.
It might come out from being tangled or may not...which is what happened to my son.  He still had it around his neck at birth, which all in all was ok.  They worked around it and he is a happy little boy now!  Try not to worry too much!
Yeah, try not to worry. In my birth prep course the nurse said that something like 30-40% of babies are born with the cord around their neck. As long as it's only wrapped once, they can get it off pretty easily. If it's wrapped more than once, they usually have to cut the cord as soon as they see it during the birth process. It seems fairly common though. Try not to stress too much about it.
Yeah...my first son did a number to his cord.  He had it wrapped down through his crotch area and over his shoulder and sround his neck twice.  He had to have a lot of help when he was born, but even then was totally fine and is a happy almost 8 year old!  My second son had it just once around his neck and it was no big deal.

OMG! thank you soo much for that information it really helped.
Thank you. Yes its true the Dr. did tell me their is a 40 % of babies born this way
plus he said I should not worry much because im having a C-section.
Thank you. I am so happy to hear your 2 babies are doing good.