Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Could it be twins?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Could it be twins?

I am currently 20 weeks pregnant and I have been feeling my baby move for about 7 weeks. I first felt a hard ball on one side, then a couple of days later I felt kicks this all was felt at 13 weeks. I started showing at 6 weeks. I couldn't lay on my stomach at all. Then when I would lay on my back I would get real nauseous. I eat like a horse. I have to eat like every 2 hours or else I will get sick. Right now I am feeling my baby kick or hit under both my ribs. Is this normal. I thought my uterus was to be level with my navel. I know every one is different but I mean come on now.
Have you had prenatel care? The reason that I ask is because if you have had regular prenatel care then the chances of that being the case is very slim. They would have picked up 2 heartbeats by this time... When I was 20 weeks I thought the same thing. A little one at that gestation is very active and has a lot of room to move... It is even more noticeable when you are very slender..... Good Luck
If it wasn't for me getting a couple of ultrasounds in the very beginning I too would of swore I had more than one in there. Man she was SO active!
I had one positive ultrasound at 16 weeks then another one a couple of days later and the tech said she didn't see twins. So I don't know what to think.
They would have been able to tell at 16 weeks because if there were more than 1 they would have been able to see two babies.... The chances are very very slim'
I know the first one showed twins, and the second one the baby was in a different position and the second tech didn't see twins. I am measuring larger than what I actually am. I have no fibroids or cysts.
your first u/s how far along were u?
I was 16 weeks
why did you have two ultrasounds so close together. and i was measuring larger to but i only have one child.  are you sure the first one showed twins??
Because I knew when my last Period was, but it wasn't normal, so I figured I was further along than what I was, so I went to a place that did free ultrasounds and she saw 2 heads and then she showed me one baby kick then moved to the other side and showed me the other baby. Then she turned it to where the device would show my whole uterus and I saw 2 babies on the screen. She said that the dotted line that appeared in the middle was telling me that it's one on each side. So that is why I am so confused. Then I went to my regular OB with this information to find out for sure.
i would trust my ob. a real actual doctor but sometimes they miss a twin or something. but they should have seen two sacs really realy on
That is definitely a strange situation. If a tech said they saw twins, it is possible. Those free clinics have to be licensed so I have to trust they aren't incompetent. I have heard of one twin hiding behind the other.
I didn't have a ultrasound early on, these were my first ones. i know and everybody I know think that I am having twins. So I guess I have to wait and see
i had my first u/s at 9 weeks and they could very clearly see 2 seperate fetus when i had my second one done at 19 1/2 weeks again both boys were easily seen. has your ob scheduled another u/s?
Heatherlynn... I had no idea you were having twin boys?!?!?! Where on earth have I been?!
No they haven't scheduled another one yet because they don't believe that it's twins. So I guess I have to wait for my big ultrasound to find out.
how come on one post it says that the tech didnt see twins then on the thing you say that you have had two ultrasounds and they DID see twins..?? or do you mean the positive was positive for twins??

if it was twins, they would definately be able to tell you..especially at that far along..and on the doppler you would get two heartbeats
Yes the positive is saying that they saw twins
have you heard the heartbeat by doppler yet?? because it should pick up two
I heard the heartbeat, it's just a quick listen, and that's it. They don't give it time for anything else, I mean as soon as  they put it on, they hear it right away and then that's it. So who knows.
so they only heard one then?
yeah
they would have been able to hear two
My little girl is active 24/7 and kicks one minute in my ribs and the next really low down by my bikini line.

I swore i was having twins as i could feel her from 13 weeks 6 days and could SEE her moving on the outside from 17 weeks but scan at 19+2 showed one healthy baby girl :)
Another possibility is that the baby is breeched.  My little man was breech lay across me, so i felt it on both sides, up and down all the time.  I swore i was having twins as well, but no suck luck, i have one little boy in there and now that he isn't breech anymore, i usually feel him more on one side at a time.