Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Cramping at 10 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Cramping at 10 weeks

I am 10 weeks pregnant this week, and for the last couple of days, I've had moderate lower abdominal cramping; it feels just like menstrual cramps. The cramping is also accompanied with a dull lower back pain. I have been feeling pressure in my vaginal region too. I have had no bleeding or spotting at all.
I guess I'm just wondering if this is a normal feeling? I can't remember if I felt anything like this with my first pregnancy since that was 5 years ago, and I've never experienced a miscarriage. So I'm wondering if the baby is okay. Could this just be because it's growing so fast that I'm feeling the "growing pains?" I'm also concerned because for the last three weeks, I've suffered a few severe IBS attacks caused by the extreme constipation (even though I eat a TON of fiber; this constipation seems incurable), which of course meant I've spent more than my fair share of hours pushing and straining to the point where it's seriously just like pushing and straining for labor, and I'm hoping that hasn't had a bad effect on my cervix.
I have a doctor appointment on July 20, but they are not doing an ultrasound, just a doppler check for the heartbeat. I guess I just need assurance that this cramping feeling is hopefully normal, because I don't know if I can wait until Monday to find out from my doctor--I'm such a basket case right now.
hey girl....the only reason i remember is bc I gave birth like 5 months ago..lol... the cramping is completely normal. Its your uterus stretching and making room for that baby to grow..... I had the same thing and was a complete worry wart (still am) and the docs told me it was my body's way of adjusting to the new life growing inside of me!

Hang in there girl!
Thanks! I just really needed to hear reassuring words and that someone has been through this themselves and all turned out well. ☺
I figured it is probably just growing pains, but I can't help but worry. I've just got so much stress going on right now--even though I don't feel too overwhelmed, I know stress is making me a nutcase.
It sounds like ligament/stretching pain. I remember with my son I had it and this pregnancy it has been worse. I had it around 7 or 8 weeks with this one and also got shooting pains and some lower back pain. And then it happened really bad again around 16 weeks for a good week. Hang in there. I'm sure all is well. Just take it easy and don't over work yourself or move too quickly. I always worry since I've had 2 miscarriages, but as long as you are not spotting or anything, I'm sure you are fine. =)
At ten weeks it is  normal to have some cramping because of the  uterus growing and  as long as you do not have any bleeding you do not have to worry . As  for the constipation ,try eating more fruits , eat some dried prunes and also talk to your doctor about  trying another type of prenatal vitamin because sometimes they can  make you constipated > and try not to worry to much , everything will be fine .
COMPLETELY normal!!! I was freaked out the beginning of this pregnancy, too, over thinking every cramp and ache. If you are having bowel issues it will intensify the cramps, too.
Yeah, I'm sure the IBS certainly doesn't help.
I have to watch my diet and fiber intake like a hawk--so definitely getting plenty of fruits, veggies, and grains, but my problem is medical, so even though high fiber is what it takes to keep me normal, this pregnancy seems to have made any effort I try worth tossing out the window.
I eat prunes, foods with extra fiber (Fiber One stuff), fruits, veggies, etc. I've even resorted to a mild laxative about once a week. But my IBS issue has become miserable with all the fluctuating hormones, bodily changes, and stress. I do intend to talk to my doctor about that on Monday. She told me at the last visit if I develop any serious bowel issues that she will have me see my gastroenterologist regularly through this pregnancy as well. That's probably what'll happen.

Thank you everyone for all the reassurance! I am so glad to hear this is normal, because the cramping and back pain have been making me paranoid for two days. :-P
Is that normal for earlier in pregnancy?
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers