Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Depo Provera and miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Depo Provera and miscarriage

I was on Depo Provera for about 8 years when my husband and I decided to try for another baby. I received my last injection in September 2006. I was pregnant by March 07 but miscarried at 5 weeks. We waited until December to try again and just miscarried that one at 9 weeks.  After having 2 healthy children with no pregnancy complications, I am led to believe that this is an effect of the Depo injections. I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has had trouble carrying since taking Depo and what can be done to reverse the effects. There are warnings that it may take anywhere from 6 to 24 months to conceive but I haven't seen anything from Pfizer in regards to staying pregnant. I really don't want to try again if it has to end in the same painful way as the last two. I appreciate any feedback you have!
im not sure what could have happened but i took depo for 4yrs and now i cant get prego at all!! i still think some of it is depo's fault but alot of the girls here say that they have been able to get prego after it so just keep trying but if you're worried then go to the dr and make sure everything chks out.
I dont think it's depo. I had horrible side effects from it, and was on it for 3 yrs. before I got off. (I gained 50lbs. migraines too,but had no choice.) I had been on a high risk med for my skin condition, it stayes in the system for 3 yrs. after stopping the med. Well, I got off, and got AF the month of my skipped shot. I used nuvaring for 3 mo. and then stopped for 3 mo to used natural fertility awareness.

Then DH decided to jump me 3 days before ovulation and didn't p/o. so... I got pregnant in Dec. Fortunately so far.. *KNOCK ON WOOD* I've had no problems. I'm almost 3mo.

Have your body checked for hormone levels including progesterone. Good luck and I'm VERY sorry for your losses.

I'm not nuts I promise.. the darn comp. posted it 3 times. srry
depo gave me a scare also i was afraid it had made me sterile, after beig off of it for a year and a half i still didnt have a period... finally 2 years later i got it and am now pregnant... but havent gotten an ultrasound yet so im a bit scared!
I was on depo vera injection for 5 years when me and my husband decieded we were ready to have a baby.  I was off the shot for 13 months and then I got preg.  I had complications from the start.  Before I even knew I was preg. I went to the ER with sever stomach pains and they told me I was preg.  I found out that I had a large cyst on my left ovary.  Eventually it went away (or at least the pain did) I had 3 ultrasounds done and everything looked good with the baby.  On week 12 I went to the Dr. to hear the heart beat and she couldn't find it.  I had no reason to worry but wanted an ultrasound so I could see the baby again!!!  I went for the ultrasound that day and was informed the baby had died at week 9.  I had NO CLUE.  After the D&C the baby was sent to pathology to see what went wrong.  The findings came back that there was nothing wrong with the baby and they didn't know why I misscarried.  I'm starting to believe it was duw to being on the depo vera injection myself.
I was on Depo provera for a few years, in 1999 I went off of it and I got pregnant,I was thrilled untill I started bleeding, I went to the hospital and found out I had miscarried, I had tried to get pregnant since then and  I was prescribed Clomid last year. I got pregnant again, but lost that baby at 9 weeks. it has been heartbreaking. i cry everyday. I know now that it was because of the Depo. I have a hard time when all of my friends around me are getting pregnant with no problem. I have been thinking about going with the IVF.But I am scared that I will miscarry again.
I was on Depo in 2008 for six months, and did not concieve (conceive) until 3 months after the 3rd shot was due. I think I was pregnant a month after the shot was due but am convinced I miscarried as I've never bled like that before (that was my first experience of what I def think was a miscarriage). So in total I had two shots, but then decided I want to try for a baby with my partner. Previous two pregnancies I caught straight away from trying, so it was strange to me not being able to concieve (conceive). Then I reasearched what could be wrong, and I also read all these awful stories about Depo ruining women's chances of concieving sometimes for up to 2 years after being on it. BUT the good news is 3 months later, we got our BFP, and so that proves at least some will be fine a few months after Depo.
I wouldn't worry too much, but I don't think I would ever use it again. I think it is a harsh form of birth control that can linger in the body for a while.
I have heard you can restore your reproductive system by going back on b/c but in the form of the everyday pill, and this should regulate your system again. Sounds strange as you want to try for a baby now, but even though it seems a hassle, you are likely to spend longer waiting to concieve (conceive), than if you go on the everyday pill and come off it (say after 2 months).

I was on the depo for 1 yr. My fiance and I decided to try to get pregnant this past spring (at that point I'd been off the depo for about a yr give or take). I've had 3 confirmed miscarriages and possibly 2 more. I have a 3 yr old son and didnt have ANY complications, I had pretty much the best pregnancy ever! I've had it in my head that it might be because of my fiance (my son isn't his by blood, every other way he is though, and my fiance is an amazing dad!) but it just occured to me that it might be because of the depo and decided to see if anyone else has had this problem. As many solutions anyone can think of would be VERY appreciated!
I know it's going to be different for everyone but I actually got pregnant while on the shot (unplanned) and haven't had any complications. But again that is just my experience.
I also got pregnant while on depo and have a healthy 9 months old and we tried once for another and conceived right away. I'm now 18 weeks and except for horrendous morning sickness, no problems.

I think it depends on the person.
I was on the Depo for 2 years. After I got my last shot, it took me a full year before my period came back, and luckily it was normal. Before it was irregular. I got my period August 2010, I found out I was pregnant April 10th 2011. During that time I wasn't planning on getting pregnant so I can't say if I had problems conceiving. I than carried my son full term. He was born at 38 weeks. Healthy baby boy besides having Jaundice for a few days. Its really hard to say if it was the Depo since you were on it for 8 years. There is a huge possibility that it could've been.
After having my first daughter in 1997, I began the Depo shot.  I became pregnant while on the shot and miscarried in the first trimester.  After which, I wanted another child and discussed with my on-gyn. She recommended I stop the shot then go to the pill for several months to get my cycle regulated again. Worked like a charm! By the end of 1999 I was pregnant with my second daughter who was born September 2000! Talk to your docs to see if this may work for you, too!!