Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Detecting evaporation lines

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Detecting evaporation lines

How do you know if you're looking at an EVAP line or a delayed BFP??? I took 2 EPTs and 2 Equates (all tests were +/-)  These tests were all taken within 4 days of each other. The most recent two (one of each) had thin linear (going up and down) lines making a faint + sign. The oldest two (one of each) didn't have any evap lines.
Do evap lines disappear...which is maybe why the oldest tests didn't have any extra + line and the most recent two (different brands) did?
When women get faint positives is the line thick (on plus/minus tests) or can it be thin?
A line is a line, evap lines are very rare especially so many. I would say repeat the test in a couple of days and it should be darker. Good luck!!!
How many DPO are you??
would be about 7 weeks on tuesday. stil haven't gotten a BFP or a faint positive and I took a test strip test today and it was negative. But I found it weird that 1 ept and 1 equate had an evap line (very thin) and the other two didn't!
I would still wait two days and test again because if you are pregnant and it almost showed today then it should show darker soon. Can you go for a blood test?? All the tests I have taken that were negative were blatantly blank with no room for confusion.
Well, usually the difference between a faint BFP and an evap line is the time it takes to show up.  If you can only see the line after the suggested time limit on the HPT then it is prob a evap line...if the line showed up before the suggested time it is probably a faint BFP....I have never seen an evap line on a HPT before, but I did get a few bfp that were barely visible.  You said you got a faint line on an equate, well I did too, and i have the picture of it...this was from 10 or 11 DPO and it was a positive result, not an evap line...im 20 weeks now.... so you can see if yours kinda looks like this. Good luck!
You should just have to copy and paste the link

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/coyotesfan99/stick.jpg
thanks ladies. I just want to clear the air and say that today when I saw those lines the tests were from at least 3 or 4 days ago...i didn't take the tests today. So the lines proabably WERE evap lines...I just didn't understand how 2 tests could have them and 2 others didnt. how does that happen?
WOW! congratulations!!! I saw the pic...my equate looks like that but isn't as obvious and the line is more to the right so it's gotta be an evap! But yours is def BFP yea you!!!!
oh...if you took the tests that long ago and just NOW saw the lines they are EVAP lines....this is from Peeonastick.com

What's an evaporation line? Evaporation ("evap") lines result with the test's antibody strip just looks slightly different than the space around it. There is a line of antibodies (usually made from mouse cells) in the Control and Test section. The Control line binds with any liquid and turns pink (or blue, in tests using blue dye.) The Test/Result line turns pink only if pregnancy hormone is detected. If not, the moisture passes over this strip and does not turn pink. It may, however, become more visible when the light hits the moisture on the strip-- it may appear gray, colorless, like a "dent" in the test, or like a "ghost line." It may appear at any time-- as soon as the urine hits it, after a few minutes as the test absorbs the moisture, or after the 10-minute time limit. It may appear when the test is drying, or after it has dried. It may disappear as the test is drying, or after the test has dried, or not disappear at all.

The simple fact is that there is always "something there" that is slightly visible-- it's simply the antibodies on the test that would turn pink in the presence of hCG. When the test becomes wet, or as it dries, or after it dries, the antibody strip may become more visible. Therefore, all tests may have them. It is not a defect; it's just how tests are made.

A real positive is identified by its color (pink or blue, whatever the color of the test's dye is) and its appearance within 10 minutes of urinating on the stick. A line that appears after 10 minutes, regardless of color, must be considered an evap line and is caused by the test's chemicals changing. HPT's are rapid assay diagnostics, which means any results appearing after the "rapid" time limit of 10 minutes are invalid.

actually...i just double checked...it looks the exact same way but again, i didn't see that within the normal time frame and in fact didn't see it until today and I think I took that equate on WEd or Thurs
thanks for the info. that helps. The line is pink but obviously b/c of time constraint is a evap line!! Thanks for pasting that for me!!! congrats again on your pregnancy!!
Oh I'm sorry bioclock....but there's still some hope. xx
thats okay. Im probably gonna get a blood test anyways, but I really really want that BFP!!!! and i still have symptoms (although not necessarily a guarantee!)
i used ept and equate, and on the ept, got a faint line, but on equate got a huge pink BFP! and i took the equate before the ept!

but i'm still preggy!

go to peeonastick.com

it shows evap lines, all kinds of stuff! the woman that runs it is hilarious, she's used tests with breastmilk, water, jeez everything i think!

oh and she also shows which tests have been recalled and when/why(she had 1 brand, that gave her a BFP from a man, a dog, and something out of her kitchen sink!) needless to say it wasnt equate or bfp, but it was wierd and funny lol
it wasnt equate or bfp

***ept lol sorry
that's funny !
Ya, I'll check it out. I don't really like EPT's either...
I had the same issue w/the faint line the first time I was prego.  It was an equate brand and I was already 8 wks by the time I took it.  The line was so faint I called a few friends to see if I was crazy to think it might be positive after TTC for over 3 yrs.  I went and bought the expensive hpt w/the display window that says pregnant/not pregnant.  Indeed it came up preg no questions asked.  I would wait a few days and get one of these if you feel you really might be.
Bioclock. . the funny thing is I prefer EPT's.. + - kind. Because that was the only type of test I got a BFP with. I didn't even get a BFP on a Dollar store test for a while! (1week after bfp)

maybe I'm backwards or something. lol
I just had that happen to me yesterday.... Took a test   (two of them actually).. and there was nothing on the window box.... They were Invalid..... went back a couple of hours later... and one had one line and the other had 2 lines.... I was very confused... I am sure it was a evap line.... Took another test today ...BFN... It was a First Response...that has never happened to me before... First time for everything ...Right?

Will,... Good Luck and I Hope you get your BFP Real soooooon.....
shiolohs mom: wow...see, i keep hoping that I'm not imagining these feelings and that I'mjust one of those women who will get a late BFP. Lately It seems that my eyes are seeing things that aren't really there when I look closer or hold it up to the light. By my calculations, my last "true AF" Was 3/19 so i would be 7 w on Tues/or Wed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that one of these tests will say BFP and its not just in my head.

martika: i guess it's each to their own. I went to peeonastick and the ladys test showed that EPT wasn't really a good brand but apparently it worked for you so thats all that matters, huh??
So you haven't had a BFP yet? That makes two of us! GOod luck to youtoo!!!
This is actually my first month ttc....I just had my IUD removed on April 17th.... AF is due in a couple of days....
I know. I had been going to Peeonastick, and they say the +- kind is the bad type of EPT to get, but it was the only type my store here had. that's why I got it. about a week later when I got my $$ store test it was FAINT positive when the ept's a week earlier had been VERY POSITIVE. lol

I agree... to each they're own.  maybe I got lucky and got a good batch. however, I had evap lines before on diff. tests. to me they look just like she explains them on the website.
yeah, I agree. THe evap and + lines are so similar which is why, i guess, they say no peeking after the time has elapsed.

agamommy--well good luck then!!!!
I had took the dollar store brand tests at 5 in the morning test nevwr showed anything after 10 minutes. So i went back to bed, i got back up at 10 in the morning looked at it and it was a very faint line i went back to the store for more tests because i thought maybe it was an evap line and i took four more tests and they all popped up positive within 10 minutes... So i am now having the same problem a year after having my son i am TTC again and the tests are doing the same thing! Grrr