Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Did my water break?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Did my water break?

So, my panty liner a few hours ago was moist when I came home.  Not with discharge, but almost like sweat (I know gross).  So, I changed it and thought nothing of it laid on the couch, got up half hour later, and felt a little gush but almost like it's discharge (I feel that all the time which is why I wear a liner).  I go to the bathroom again, and it's just damp again like before.  I smelled it (I know gross again) to see if it was pee.  It has no scent at all.  This has been happening for a few hours.  Just a damp liner, no more.  But, I do see a little blood in the toilot...not when I wipe one tiny little chuck... then once more like a couple of little sprinkles.  What the heck is going on?  Anyone out there have any similar experiences or insight?
Well when my water broke I wasn't sure either but I ended up getting up and going to the bathroom and it broke even more... And then I was totally sure because it didn't stop. It is possible to have a small leak and for it not to tear anymore and just to leak and you not to be sure. Are you sweating excessively? Usually amniotic fluid has a sweeter smell (really hard to describe if it has never happened to you before) or can have really no smell at all... If you are laying down usually you will have more because the baby isn't corking the water flow up like if you were standing up... Also I never lost my MP when I was pregnant with Richie (hence the blood in the potty that you are seeing) but my water just broke really with no warning. I would say if you are in doubt then definitely going to L&D to have a ferning test done is in your best interest because you can get an infection...
Thanks Nicki I just went again and it actually has let up (liner was dry and no blood).  Wouldn't I start having contractions or some other warning signs if it was indeed my waters?  Also, if it was a tiny tear I would have consistant fluid right?  And increasing amount?  This has no scent at all... not like discharge only like water.  I have not been sweating that I have noticed?  But, it is really warm today so it could be sweat?  So hard to tell.  I am going to get ready just incase my husband and I are ready just incase.  My hospital is 2 miles away.
Well with my experience I had my water break 2 times and I didn't start having contractions until 2-3 hours later. Some women don't have them from 12-24 hours later but they like you to deliver within the 24 hour limit of your water breaking because of infection rates rise after 24 hours! No if it was a tiny tear then it could be small and just be a small flow (like drops) and the baby's head will cork it when you get up and there could very well be no leak at all at that point. It happened with me when my water first broke with Richie and I wasn't sure until I went to the bathroom and I had to pee super bad and the sac ended up tearing more and 2 hours later it was a constant flow with very little contractions still. I would say it wouldn't hurt to have a ferning test done just in case!
Maybe you can just call your doc and let them know what's going on at the moment. Then you can plan from there. Keep your eye out for contractions for sure!!
Good luck Heather, it seems like your gettiing really close!
I hope you called your doctor.  Anytime you are unsure, it's always best to call.  Your amniotic sac can have a hole or tear that is big enough to leak and allow infection in but not enough to make it certain that it's your water, or to bring on contractions.  A simple swab test at the doctors office or L & D can tell you if it's your water or not.  

Becuase the risk of infection increases with time after the sac is compromised, it's always best to find out for certain.  
heather,

Please call the doctor or go to the hospital. It is what...three miles from your house so that's a plus.  At this point you can't be guessing. And you've had labor signs before so with that in mind I would definitely call or go to the hospital.
Keep us posted! Good Luck!!

PK
I called l&d last night because it freaked me out, but by that time it had stopped and I was dry.  They said it didn't sound like it was my water because it stopped, but if it comes back to go in and have it tested right away so they can be sure.  There is no way for them to test it if it stopped.  It has yet to come back this morning I had my normal discharge (this is gross, but I usually have it in the AM?).  I am sticking close by today, so I can rush over if it happens again.  I do keep losing little chunks in the toilot (no more blood) but I think it's my MP.  Hope little guy can hold off until the 12th at least my doc isn't back from vacay until then.  Thank you all for helping me through this one.  I feel so unsure about anything happening with me.  Pregnancy is such a grey area thing ... could be nothing... could be labor.  
Good girl! And don't worry about being gross. It isn't gross..... discharge is normal and it happens to all of us :-)
Keep us updated. I too hope your baby doesn't come this week. Sounds like he wants to though lol.
I was wondering what happened! I think all of us preggos have discharge more or less at sometime in the day... Sounds like he is fighting to get out! Try to get done whatever you have the urge to because at this point all it is is a waiting game! Congrats on getting off of bedrest today! YAY!
I have been cheating on the bedrest here and there, but it's good to be officially off.  My hubby is happy about the pelvic rest, but I am scared if I give in to him it will send me into labor, and I ideally would like to wait until my doctor comes back.  Poor guy!  lol