Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Dilated Endometrial Cavity - Is Normal During Last Day of Menstruation?...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Dilated Endometrial Cavity - Is Normal During Last Day of Menstruation?

Hey everyone!

I recently got a transvaginal ultrasound on the last day of my period. Aside from discovering that I have 12 subcapsular follicles of 1.0 cm in diameter, the results also said that the:

Endometrial cavity is dilated to 1.1 cm by fluid with minimal echoes probably blood (approximate volume = 2.4 ml)

That was over a month ago.

I'm worried about that particular result because the technician doing the TVS actually asked me if I was pregnant. I told her "No. This is the last day of my period." I forgot about it when my ob/gyne didn't pay attention to that result. But now, I'm worried again because I haven't gotten my period this month. I've had cramps and increased vaginal discharge, but still no period. I got off birth control pills last May (2011), and for the past 2 months my menstruation has been regular. The delay might be due to the stress of a recent break up, but I just want to be sure.

Is it normal for the endometrial cavity to be dilated during the last day of your period? Or should I bring this up to my doctor when I go in for an appointment? By the way, I already took 3 pregnancy tests and the results were negative. My period is 21 days late.

I really hope someone can share their input about this.... If you need to see a photo of the TVS, just let me know.

Thank you!
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers