Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Does a very active baby in-utero mean an active newborn?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

I was just curious about this.  I am 32 weeks today, and my little girl moves so much more then I remember my boys moving.  Does anyone kno0w if there is any relation to how squirmy they are when pregnant have anything to do with their temperament when born?  i am getting nervous because my boys weren't as active and they were both really good babies, lol.........this is more of a question for fun then out of actual seriousness, but while she was doing acrobatics inside me this question just popped in my head!
I hope so... my son was so active I felt like I was bruised from the inside out.  With this one, she is so calm, sometimes I have to stop and wait for her to move.  My son is SO active and was not a good sleeper from the beginning.  You know they say they will be so tired after birth - yeah right, my son was ready to go, eyes wide open!!!!  I hope for our sleeping that his sister sleeps much more.
I often wondered this myself. My daughter was very active in the womb and shes still quite active now that shes here.. She moves lot in her sleep and things like that. I know its normal for newborns to move alot but she moves all the time and that is how she was in my belly.. So I wonder if it has anything to do with that? Anyone know?
That's a good question.. I've wondered that myself.  I know I've read that right around the 34 week period (or even earlier), your babies sleeping patterns in the womb will often be similar to their sleeping patterns outside of the womb.  I hope that's true b/c my baby girl is very calm and quiet at night while I'm sleeping (she only moves once or twice when I make one of my many trips to the bathroom), and then she's VERY active throughout the day, with a few quiet moments here and there.  Wouldn't that be nice... letting mommy and daddy sleep throughout the night?    =)  
I wonder the same thing, only my baby is opposite of yours. He is very calm, hardly moves throughout the day. It worries me sometimes, but I am hoping it just means I am having a calm baby. He does move more at night, when I am laying down, but not so bad that I can't sleep. I guess that might mean he'll be more active at night than during the day.
GREAT QUESTION!!  i wish i knew the answer too!  my little girl is a wild woman in utero and i often worry she will be wild when she comes out!  as wendy said, their schedules 3rd trimester are often said to be newborn schedules.  i'm screwd them because she relaxes in the morning with a few random wake up wiggles and stretches, but once it hits 3pm, it's party time!  she's on and off wild thing most of the evening/night!  most recently i have discovered that she wakes up early at 3am for early morning aerobics that last for about an hour!  oh well, i will love her just the same but hope she learns a "normal" sleeping schedule one day!
I think that is true and I know that from my experience. My little girl was very active in utero. And like a newborn she is very active. She doesn`t sleep quiet, she moves and grunts when she sleeps. When she is awake she wants to take her in my arms and to walk. I was afraid of this while I was pregnant and there is...Thanks God she is healthy, that is more important. I will survive somehow...
I believe the more active the baby in the womb, the more active and tempermental the child outside. My oldest son was very calm in utero, and is a very laid back calm 4yr old. I have hardly any issues with him at all, and never have. Now my youngest on the other hand is totally opposite. He was one heck of an active baby in utero, and now at 2yrs old he is my little pain in the rear lol. He is always throwing fits when he doesnt get his way, is always on the go, sometimes I have to hold him down just to relax for 5 min. He is very tempermental, mainly when he doesnt get his way, and didn't start sleeping through the night until he was 18 months old.

My youngest son was sleeping through the night once we got his colic taken care of at 3 months old.

Im hoping this baby will be like my 4yr old, he isn't very active in utero, and when he does move it is very small movements throughout the day and night. Im praying for another calm child lol, I already have my hands full with 1 spawn of satan lmao JK!
I don't believe that is always the case! Both of my girls moved a lot. It's hard to determine what is "active" and what is "uncomfortable for baby" since space is getting limited in there. My first baby was very cuddly and had to be held constantly. My second is a wiggle worm who does NOT like to be held whatsoever.

I've heard women say it both ways! I can't wait to see what your baby's personality will be like since you brought this up!!! It's so fun to see how different babies are!
I am very excited to get to know her personality....I must admit I am a little nervous though, I was blessed with 2 children who were very good babies already...i think I am prob. due for my wild child, haha.
I have two kids, 11 yr old girl 2 1/2  yr old boy and 6 mths prego with girl. My boy was totally lazy in utero and is now one of the most active ones I Know. My 11 yr girl was so energetic in utero but laid back after birth. This baby is totally an aerobic queen. Wonder what the outcome of her personality will be. She is strong omg. If she doesnt eat on time I can expect a a lot of forceful kicks and punches lol. 3 more months yayy.
My baby is active too. When I went in for my 36 week ultrasound he was moving like crazy, the ultrasound tech said he's gonna be an active newborn. I don't know if that's the truth tho. I'm due in 9 days and he still moves constantly.
My first son was extremely active in utero and he has been very active all his life.  He is now 35 years old and very irresponsible.  Still lives at home (and drives us crazy).  My second son was so calm in utero that I had to poke my belly to get him to move.  After he was born, he loved to sleep and cuddle (the oldest one didn't cuddle).  Now, 32 years later, he still likes his sleep, we never had problems with him growing up, he was an honor student, went to college, is married, and is a very successful businessman.  He and his wife are expecting their first child, a boy, who is extremely active in utero.  This activity has me worried because of the similarity to my first son.  
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers