Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Drinking Wine While Pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Drinking Wine While Pregnant

I love these forums, especially since I'm getting great comments!  Ok, so tonight I have a rehearsal dinner to attend!  I'm 7 weeks pregnant, and NO ONE KNOWS other than my husband.  I'm starting to show, and only because I had gained weight prior to getting pregnant.  I don't want to make it obvious to anyone, so would drinking a glass of wine (AND JUST ONE) all night be OK for the baby?
It's unlikely it'll cause any problems, but I don't think I'd take the risk. Worked with fetal alcohol syndrome kids for awhile, it's no joke how much it affects them, worse than some of the cocaine babies we had. Maybe just tell people your stomach's a little off or you gave it up for lent lol?
I wouldn't in the first trimester as the cells are still developing. It's amazing how sparkling Apple juice looks like wine or have a cranberry juice, both look sophisticated!
I say go with the lent idea! Before my family knew.my sister turned 21 I just knew they were going to ask what was going on since I didn't drink but I just told them I had to workout with the trainer the next morning and didn't want to be sick. ( I didn't meet the trainer lol)
I would jsut say you have a headace or something.
You think you're coming down with something and your stomach is bothering you, lent, you have a headache, you have to be up early in the morning, you're not drinking because you're going to drive (and then just force your old man to get to drunk to drive lol) or just plain old tell them ya don't feel like it and it's none of their business. One glass probably won't hurt but I've always heard second trimester don't risk it chic!
I wouldnt in the first trimester, just to be safe.
I wouldnt risk it.  I would just tell them that you don't feel like it.  You are allowed to not have a drink when you go out.
I would sit back and enjoy the glass of wine....how many women have a binge before they know they're pregnant...I know I did the last time I had a wedding and I was 7 weeks and didn't know. Enjoy your night....
Thanks for your comments.  I'm Serbian, and in our Culture if someone doesn't drink it's an automatic for the gossip to start on pregnancy.  I wish I could say I gave it up for lent, but our lent is a strict fast from Dairy and Meat lol.  But obviously pregnant women don't typically fast.  So being that the majority of you show concern, especially since I'm still in my first trimester, I'll saw that I took an aspirin right before I got there, or say I have heartburn!  Thanks guys!
My excuse was oh  I'm on antibiotics can't drink sorry ! Lol I heard one glass of red wine is not dangerous but I still do not wanna drink any alcohol don't want to take any risks + with all the nausea that's the last thing on my mind lol
U could always take a sip, or not even just pretend, and then say u dont like the taste.
Please dont drink. I hate that people and doctors still say its ok. I suppose im more hypersensentive about because im conducting my dissertation on prenantal alcohol exposure and its so bad for the baby. No one knows if one drink has a.negative effect just like no one knows if one line of cocaine has a negative effect. All we know is that it is possible and that should be enough. The other ladies have great suggestions
i agree that you can pretend to drink a glass, then if someone notices that you are not actually drinking you can say its not agreeing with you... that way you didnt not take the alcohol and you dont have to drink it...  but i wouldnt drink it for sure as it is the first trimester and there is so much developing for you baby that its not worth the risk...congrats tho! and take care!
U don't even have to say anything just get a glass like normal and carry it around pretend to put it up to your lips and take a drink then when no one is looking dump some out little by little I doubt people will be watching your glass
I am not opposed to a small glass here or there during pregnancy but only personally choose to do so in the late 2nd to 3rd trimester for exceptionally special occasions. I would personally avoid it since about 7 weeks is when the embryo/fetus starts drawing from your system.

I do have a story to share though - my husband helped me "cover" in a similar situation with our last pregnancy. I was handed a glass of wine by a friend as we arrived at a party so he took sips of it a few times so it seemed as though I was working on it slowly. At some point, he switched his empty glass for my partially full one and I just felt too tired to have another. Incidentally, I was "found out" at about 6 weeks this time since I was at a friend's for a party and she noticed I had not had a glass of wine so I know how you feel! Good luck with your decision and for keeping it secret for now!
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers